Westone ES5
Nov 23, 2010 at 6:08 PM Post #676 of 5,554
All I can say, is that I would love for someone I trust, and I don't trust anyone :), to review both the JH13 and the UE IERM.  I bet people find these amazingly good even with just 3 drivers.  I very much have found them to be just a joy.  It's funny how they made me think about how I have broken the music with other earphones and my home systems.  With the flat response I'm hearing things that just were just hidden before.  I can't say this enough, they have PLENTY of bass.  But, I had gotten used to bass that was never intended to be there.  

The biggest impact has been that the quality of the music is just wonderful and full even at low volumes, so I never want to take them off.  
Quote:
that's sound advice (
wink.gif
). please keep us updated as to your experience over time with your new uerm iems.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:07 PM Post #677 of 5,554
Quote:
All I can say, is that I would love for someone I trust, and I don't trust anyone :), to review both the JH13 and the UE IERM.  I bet people find these amazingly good even with just 3 drivers.  I very much have found them to be just a joy.  It's funny how they made me think about how I have broken the music with other earphones and my home systems.  With the flat response I'm hearing things that just were just hidden before.  I can't say this enough, they have PLENTY of bass.  But, I had gotten used to bass that was never intended to be there. 
The biggest impact has been that the quality of the music is just wonderful and full even at low volumes, so I never want to take them off.  
Quote:
that's sound advice (
wink.gif
). please keep us updated as to your experience over time with your new uerm iems.

Jude is the only one i can think of off hand who has both, although there may be others.  he's written about and loves both of them -  different flavors for different moods.  i believe he's said that he prefers the jh13s while traveling and the uerms if he's sitting in a quiet place, like his office. but i'd double check with him.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #678 of 5,554
Thanks for the response,  HPA.

Actually, I have a high faith in you and other's comments on the ES5's (and I lack the expertise to even begin to wonder about the single bass driver vs dual/quad bass driver question), and even before your previous post, I gathered (from all the comments)that ES5's bass were more UM3X than W3's.  I've tried  UM3X's before, and I actually really liked them, they were way more balanced than my W3's, and the bass was of excellent quality, but sometimes, I feel like having that big "whump" in songs that's ... well, supposed to be a big "whump"... 

Have any of you guys listened to any bass heavy music (and rhythmically thumping) like Infected Mushrooms or other electro stuff with the ES5's? Any comparison with say... UM3X or W3's in those aspects? 

Have to say though... the JH sale does have some pull... 15% off JH16's make it about the same as the ES5's, but personally, I'm still going to go for the ES5's.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #679 of 5,554

Thanks for the response,  HPA.

Actually, I have a high faith in you and other's comments on the ES5's (and I lack the expertise to even begin to wonder about the single bass driver vs dual/quad bass driver question), and even before your previous post, I gathered (from all the comments)that ES5's bass were more UM3X than W3's.  I've tried  UM3X's before, and I actually really liked them, they were way more balanced than my W3's, and the bass was of excellent quality, but sometimes, I feel like having that big "whump" in songs that's ... well, supposed to be a big "whump"... 

Have any of you guys listened to any bass heavy music (and rhythmically thumping) like Infected Mushrooms or other electro stuff with the ES5's? Any comparison with say... UM3X or W3's in those aspects? 

Have to say though... the JH sale does have some pull... 15% off JH16's make it about the same as the ES5's, but personally, I'm still going to go for the ES5's.

ES5 has good impact with Infected Mushroom. In the 50Hz region it's a little less than the JH13pro, but similar above and below that. JHA claims they've bumped the bass in that region.

If you really want boosted bass you could consider the JH IEM, but the ES5 will never be considered bass-lite. It's very accurate and hits when it needs to.

Nov 23, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #680 of 5,554
I can't speak for the ES5s, but between the JH13 and JH16 I ended up preferring (and keeping) the JH13s for bass-heavy music. I listen to primarily progressive electronic nowadays (e.g. BT, Hybrid). The JH16s tend to make music somewhat bass-driven; for music that is engineered to be bass-driven from the outset, it can be a little overbearing. The JH13 offers a more even-handed presentation. Of course, bassheads would prefer the JH16 for bass-heavy music for these very reasons. (Think being in a high-end club [16] vs. being in a high-end recording studio [13])

I would think the ES5's bass response, based on HeadphoneAddict's impressions and from reviews, would be very near ideal. The 50Hz bump on the JH13s isn't really that big of a deal if the responses of the JH13s and ES5s are similar from ~40Hz and below.

Nov 24, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #681 of 5,554
After I tried UM3X side by side with my W3, I regretted buying the W3, because it was fun and I loved them, but it was just too much after awhile, I would actually fall asleep listening to deadmau5 because I was getting so tired from it, it was thumping me unconscious... no more boosted bass for me...

Thanks for the suggestions, it was exactly the assurance I need to sooth my last minute doubts!

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #682 of 5,554

Quote:

during my test i reviewed some bass heavy music like Massive attack's "Mezzanine" . The ES5 renders that very faithfully and clearly. UM3X has a decent bass with amp but ES5 with amp has very deep and extended bass which is not overpowering.. which is very refreshing. I also listened to Paul Van Dyk's - Global. It is trance album so you need bass to get it pumping. With normal setting the bass was enough.. but if i really want that extra push i bumped clear bass setting on my Sony X. I used to be a mega bass junkie before but Um3X converted me completely. So if you like UM3x ES5 does everything it does but way better ..

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:24 PM Post #683 of 5,554
Well, I got mine yesterday.  I thought it sounded kind of smooth and syrupy at first.  Now it is starting to get some more edge to it.  I first tried it out of the jack on the Iphone 4.  I only use uncompressed files.  I notice a pretty decent difference amped.  More spacing mainly.  The amp is the RSA Mustang P51.  I have a question though.  Prior to the Iphone I had the Itouch.   I thought the LOD is different for each one.  In other words I didn't think I could use my Itouch LOD with the Iphone 4.  Am I mistaken on this?  It seem to work just fine though.  

Nov 24, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #685 of 5,554
Yup, they r an excellent pair of customs. Very smooth indeed.

Nov 25, 2010 at 11:06 AM Post #686 of 5,554
One negative, and it has nothing to to with sound quality, is these IEMs seem very sensitive for my amp.  On my Mustang P51, I have it on low gain setting.  Despite this, if I turn the knob just a little it is to loud.  But if I turn it back a little, it is not loud enough.  And of course each recording has different levels of loudness so it is hard to find the right volume all the time.   Maybe I should look into getting a new amp?  Also, I get an "This accessory is not optimized for the Iphone" sign when I plug the LOD from the amp into the Iphone?  I presume this is normal?  

Nov 25, 2010 at 12:24 PM Post #687 of 5,554
I've had mine for about a little over a week now and am really liking them. Smooth seems like the best word to describe these phones. Out of my iTouch and ALO Rx the bass is tight and not overpowering, mids are present, and highs are very smooth, if not a touch rolled off. If I had any complaint, it's that the highs are a little soft. I'm not sure if this is caused by the phones or the amp, probably the amp. Either way, I'm sure enjoying listening to these.

Nov 25, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #688 of 5,554

I've had mine for about a little over a week now and am really liking them. Smooth seems like the best word to describe these phones. Out of my iTouch and ALO Rx the bass is tight and not overpowering, mids are present, and highs are very smooth, if not a touch rolled off. If I had any complaint, it's that the highs are a little soft. I'm not sure if this is caused by the phones or the amp, probably the amp. Either way, I'm sure enjoying listening to these.

It must be the amp.

One negative, and it has nothing to to with sound quality, is these IEMs seem very sensitive for my amp.  On my Mustang P51, I have it on low gain setting.  Despite this, if I turn the knob just a little it is to loud.  But if I turn it back a little, it is not loud enough.  And of course each recording has different levels of loudness so it is hard to find the right volume all the time.   Maybe I should look into getting a new amp?  Also, I get an "This accessory is not optimized for the Iphone" sign when I plug the LOD from the amp into the Iphone?  I presume this is normal?  

The iPhone gives a warning with most LOD, not unusual.

Nov 25, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #690 of 5,554
Hey guys, not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am in Hk and am looking to get the ES5, anyone has an idea about where to get good impressions? Also, I checked the Westone site and there are 3 authorized dealers in HK, does it matter which one I get the earphones from? Since their price all seem to differ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back