Westone ES5
Nov 29, 2010 at 12:41 AM Post #706 of 5,554

No they are in fine or in the right way.  As I'm typing I have the tv at moderate volume and can hear it.  I just took the dog on a walk and could hear the wind very well with music playing.  So is it normal to be able to hear the tv with no music playing?  Just asking one more time because I'd hate to send them back as I don't have any other portable headphones.  On top of that, I had to wait 3 weeks to get them in the first place. 

Outside sounds should be mostly blocked. All my custom IEM block enough noise that I can use them for shooting earplugs, including my Westone.

Nov 29, 2010 at 1:09 AM Post #707 of 5,554
Quote:
Outside sounds should be mostly blocked. All my custom IEM block enough noise that I can use them for shooting earplugs, including my Westone.

Ha!  I've done that before too.  I don't get to do it often, but my Sure SE530s work well enough for that.

Nov 29, 2010 at 2:13 AM Post #708 of 5,554

Quote:
No they are in fine or in the right way.  As I'm typing I have the tv at moderate volume and can hear it.  I just took the dog on a walk and could hear the wind very well with music playing.  So is it normal to be able to hear the tv with no music playing?  Just asking one more time because I'd hate to send them back as I don't have any other portable headphones.  On top of that, I had to wait 3 weeks to get them in the first place. 

Do you think you're getting the best sound possible out of them? If you push them in, does it change at all?

If the fit is sonically optimal, then I'm glad to see impressions of the ES5's isolation levels are getting back down to earth. But at the same time, your anecdote is somewhat below expectations..

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:42 AM Post #709 of 5,554
3X0, I might take that personally but I won't. :wink:

I never claimed divinity in the ES5 isolation, just excellent all round attenuation of sound. I am not alone in that. I also expect that people's descriptions and expectations are different. Pee tests, TV tests etc. tell us nothing scientific or objectively comparable,

Nov 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #710 of 5,554
I should add though - having had a looser fit with my poor quality first impressions - that with the Westone soft vinyl tips, a snug fit with thick canal tips (I.e. Impression material injected under moderate pressure) increases isolation significantly.

Dec 1, 2010 at 1:35 AM Post #712 of 5,554

Hi Larry, I read in one of your posts you like the D4/10 (can't remember which) with the ES5s too. 

Which would you think is the best match for the ES5s? :)

Both are very good with ES5, but because I've installed opamp kits from HiFlight in both amps they sound fairly similar to each other now. The D4 with his "top kit" sounds exactly like an RSA P-51 amp, and the D10 sounds very similar with slightly less present or extended highs and airiness.

Stock the D10 sounds more forward and warmer, and almost exactly like an RSA Predator amp but with a more detailed DAC. Stock the D4 sounds like a cross/hybrid between the original Pico and a P-51. I would pick whichever one has the features you want, and then if the sound needs tweaking talk to HiFlight (Ron) about tuning the amp with opamps.

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:41 AM Post #714 of 5,554

Quote:
Thanks! I think I'll talk to Ron about my D12s ... :) 

hey jermng, may i ask how much u got ur ibasso d12 for? and wads the improvement u heard on ur es5?

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #715 of 5,554
I got it from Stereo@PS .... you can call them for the price .. I paid the retail for them the first day they had it cos I pre-ordered. :) 

I would say they tighten up the bass and to a certain extent adds more "punch" .... though not as big as I thought they would ... 

The highs also smoothen out though it seems to emphasize a little more on the extreme end of the hi-mids (~8k)....but I'm not really fully convinced with the sound though, that's why I'll be contacting Hiflight bout some opamp rolling soon :)

Overall I'd say the D12 does an amazing job with the ES5 - definitely much better than direct out of an iPod (5G) or iPhone 3GS. It's also a huge step up from my Go-Vibe Petite (no competition IMHO, also considering the price difference ... ).

If there were no opamp rolling option with the D12, I'd be absolutely happy with it ... but I just want to squeeze as much out of the rig to best suit my preferences ... 

I also just ordered a Twag OM IEM cable and LOD (got a great deal with the Cyber Monday discounts) so I'll be waiting to see (hear) what those do to the sound ..... 

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:47 AM Post #716 of 5,554
Currently waiting for my ES5's to get here (will take a little while since I'm ordering from Hong Kong).

Meanwhile, been itching to change my DAPs, currently, i have an IPC120gb, Iphone 4, Clip+ 

I also have a Headstage Arrow 2G that I use with Craig's Micro T-wag (with the apple gears).

Worth getting rid of the IPC120 and Twag for a 602 or J3?  

I really like the Iphone 4's sound sig, but feel my IPC120 is a bit on the cold side with less depth (front and back) and body to the sound, thought my IPC120 + arrow is supposed to be my main portable rig.  

Any suggestions from ES5 users for me to consider?

Thanks in advance!

Dec 1, 2010 at 7:09 PM Post #718 of 5,554

Quote:
Currently waiting for my ES5's to get here (will take a little while since I'm ordering from Hong Kong).

Meanwhile, been itching to change my DAPs, currently, i have an IPC120gb, Iphone 4, Clip+ 

I also have a Headstage Arrow 2G that I use with Craig's Micro T-wag (with the apple gears).

Worth getting rid of the IPC120 and Twag for a 602 or J3?  

I really like the Iphone 4's sound sig, but feel my IPC120 is a bit on the cold side with less depth (front and back) and body to the sound, thought my IPC120 + arrow is supposed to be my main portable rig.  

Any suggestions from ES5 users for me to consider?

Thanks in advance!

See my 602 review done with ES5 -> the 602 beats an iPhone 4 or iPhone 4 with amp, although with amp it gets closer but not quite (and not all amps are equivalent).  The 602 can let you save the battery on the iPhone to use for calls, movies, games and surfing the web.

The Classic and 5G Nano sound similar to me, and a little colder or less warm than the iPhone 4, so I agree with you there.  The Pico Slim really warms them up and improves depth of stage and soundstage size, but the 602 gives you that as well as a more detailed and refined source.  If you don't want the 602, then at least look for a warmer sounding amp to counterbalance the IPC 120Gb.

Dec 2, 2010 at 7:16 AM Post #719 of 5,554
Got a question, someone else probably asked it before, but i hate to flip through hundreds of pages to find this comparison:

Is ES5 similar sounding to HD800, minus the bad-recording-scrutinizing? Also how does the bass performance compare to HD800? Just exclude soundstage for obvious reasons, unless you actually find them comparable.

Dec 2, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #720 of 5,554

Quote:
Got a question, someone else probably asked it before, but i hate to flip through hundreds of pages to find this comparison:

Is ES5 similar sounding to HD800, minus the bad-recording-scrutinizing? Also how does the bass performance compare to HD800? Just exclude soundstage for obvious reasons, unless you actually find them comparable.

So far there hasn't been a direct comparison. You might want to ask HeadphoneAddict, or just wait for his review.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back