Westone ES5
Dec 2, 2010 at 11:34 PM Post #721 of 5,554
An update on the frequency response imbalance I was experiencing with my ES5s:

I received an email from Westone today saying "Your ES5's have been diagnosed and repaired. We found an issue with the low frequency speaker that was causing some deficiencies in the sound." They also appeared on my doorstep late this afternoon.

I've been listening to them for a while and so far, so good - they sound fine.

Dec 2, 2010 at 11:56 PM Post #722 of 5,554

Quote:
Got a question, someone else probably asked it before, but i hate to flip through hundreds of pages to find this comparison:

Is ES5 similar sounding to HD800, minus the bad-recording-scrutinizing? Also how does the bass performance compare to HD800? Just exclude soundstage for obvious reasons, unless you actually find them comparable.

Headphoneaddict would be a good one to PM w/ that.

Dec 3, 2010 at 2:14 AM Post #723 of 5,554

Quote:
Got a question, someone else probably asked it before, but i hate to flip through hundreds of pages to find this comparison:

Is ES5 similar sounding to HD800, minus the bad-recording-scrutinizing? Also how does the bass performance compare to HD800? Just exclude soundstage for obvious reasons, unless you actually find them comparable.

I've posted before that the ES3X sound closer to the HD800 than the ES5.  The ES5 I feel are superior to the HD800, with a warmer and fuller sound and smoother or more refined treble.  The HD800 bass is not bad, except that in relation to the mids and highs it would be nice to have more.  I've never felt the ES3X needed more bass, but the mids are still a bit forward in relation to the bass.  To me the ES5 strikes a better balance of bass, mids and treble than the HD800 or ES3X.  

The ES5 are still ruthless about revealing bad recordings, but they still sound great with low bit-rate music if the mastering was done well.  Right now I'm not sure that I have a full size headphone I like as much as the ES5 although the HE-6 come close, but those are more forward sounding than the ES5 and much more difficult to amplify.

Dec 3, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #725 of 5,554
just a quick question, the deluxe monitor carrying case that comes with the ES5 is a pelican case right? if so which model is it specifically? 1010? 1040? and can you remove the mold that holds the lubricant, wax loop and desiccant? i'm planing to store my imod amp and lod in it, don't wanna spend on a new pelican case  

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:11 AM Post #727 of 5,554

just a quick question, the deluxe monitor carrying case that comes with the ES5 is a pelican case right? if so which model is it specifically? 1010? 1040? and can you remove the mold that holds the lubricant, wax loop and desiccant? i'm planing to store my imod amp and lod in it, don't wanna spend on a new pelican case  

It is definitely not the 1010. I just bought one to play with. (I think that I am becoming ES5 case obsessed.) The 1010 is much smaller. I think that it is the 1040 but Ii don't have it with me to measure. The moulding does remove to leave a perfectly functional Pelican case. It is however too large for audiophile use IMHO. (It is designed for performers.)

If you throw everything inside it, somehow you have to protect the ES5 from those other large objects...

FYI I still like the Westone Monitor Saver most amongst my cases.

Dec 3, 2010 at 6:16 AM Post #728 of 5,554

Quote:
It is definitely not the 1010. I just bought one to play with. (I think that I am becoming ES5 case obsessed.) The 1010 is much smaller. it think that it is the 1040 but Ii don't have it with me to measure. The moulding does remove to leave a perfectly functional Pelican case. It is however too large for audiophile use IMHO. (It is designed for performers.) If you throw everything inside it, somehow you have to protect the ES5 from those other large objects...FYI I still like the Westone Monitor Saver most amongst my cases.

Ahhh thanks a bunch.. thats exactly what i wanted to hear... I'm planing to stick the circular desiccant at one side of the case, wrap my ES5 around it, and put some foam in between the case as a barrier from my source and etc... 

all this talk, and i still haven't place my order yet.. LOLS!

Dec 3, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #729 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:

I've posted before that the ES3X sound closer to the HD800 than the ES5.  The ES5 I feel are superior to the HD800, with a warmer and fuller sound and smoother or more refined treble.  The HD800 bass is not bad, except that in relation to the mids and highs it would be nice to have more.  I've never felt the ES3X needed more bass, but the mids are still a bit forward in relation to the bass.  To me the ES5 strikes a better balance of bass, mids and treble than the HD800 or ES3X.  

The ES5 are still ruthless about revealing bad recordings, but they still sound great with low bit-rate music if the mastering was done well.  Right now I'm not sure that I have a full size headphone I like as much as the ES5 although the HE-6 come close, but those are more forward sounding than the ES5 and much more difficult to amplify.

Great to know that, thanks for re-replying. Sounds exactly what i look forward to, the ES5.

Dec 3, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #730 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:

I sent mine back for a refit, but when I had them, I did not find them bad at all with poor recordings.  I thought the recordings had plenty of life with the ES5's.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:49 AM Post #731 of 5,554
Got a question about colors: how come the tag on the picture:

http://www.westone.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/merlot%20es5_RGB_1.jpg

says merlot, but the color seems quite different from the one shown here: http://www.westone.com/music/color-options

Which one is a more accurate representation of the actual color?

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:58 AM Post #732 of 5,554

Quote:

http://www.westone.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/product_full/merlot%20es5_RGB_1.jpg

says merlot, but the color seems quite different from the one shown here: http://www.westone.com/music/color-options

The first one is more representative.  See photos of mine I posted in the thread recently.

Dec 4, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #733 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:

The first one is more representative.  See photos of mine I posted in the thread recently.

Great to know, as the first one looks really good in that pic.

Dec 4, 2010 at 1:16 PM Post #734 of 5,554
I've used my ES5s for about 2 weeks now ..... sonically, close to perfection ... however, my white cable has turned green!!! Not the whole cable, just parts of it .... that is awfully quick!

I expected the de-coloration, but not so quickly .... :frowning2:

I've got a Twag on the way - hoping that won't discolor .... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back