Westone ES5
Nov 22, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #664 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
I think Westone must be really busy.  I was originally told expect mine in about a week.   Then this week I was told I should have them by Saturday.  Well, I still don't have them.  I don't have any headphones right now and it is driving me nuts.  I guess I wish they wouldn't tell customers what to expect and then not follow through.  I own a business and I'm just not afforded the luxury of not having good customer service so I have a low tolerance when it happens to me.  

Real bad luck Kclone.. They must be real busy .. Total turn around for me was about a week. Who did you talk in CS.. Was it Kyle ? He is very helpful...

Westone would not talk to me on the matter, they said I have to talk to my dealer.  I will be calling them today.

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #665 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
Yep, it's  #0174-L on the left earpiece.

Ahh ... totally makes sense now. :) 

My words are in Blue for Left and Red for Right so my S/N does not have the "L" & "R" behind them. :) 

Actually i was stumped when i saw the L in Santacore's pics.. Mine has red and blue letters. Wish westone was consistent .. I think it is based on who is etching the mold

Nov 22, 2010 at 10:49 AM Post #666 of 5,554
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yep, it's  #0174-L on the left earpiece.

Ahh ... totally makes sense now. :) 

My words are in Blue for Left and Red for Right so my S/N does not have the "L" & "R" behind them. :) 

Actually i was stumped when i saw the L in Santacore's pics.. Mine has red and blue letters. Wish westone was consistent .. I think it is based on who is etching the mold

Before I thought that they were consistent. If you have a neutral colour (such as smoke or clear), then the left is etched in blue and the right in red. If you have a colour that might mask some of the the lettering (such as red, blue, orange...) then they use a neutral colour for the lettering with L and R markings.

However the gunmetal has me a bit stumped because it looks like the red and blue lettering would work.

Nov 22, 2010 at 8:46 PM Post #668 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
santacore, can the connecting ends of your cables press further into the earpieces? It seems that the contacts on your right unit are visible.

That's pretty much how they are. I think the extreme close-up makes it look worse then it is. I'm definitely not concerned about it.

Interesting, I ask because my 13s (and 16s) both have (had) the same issue on an earpiece. It's barely noticeable on the left earpiece of my 13s.. but after about a year, removing a cable revealed an ultrathin film of what I can only assume are dead skin cells.
frown.gif

Also,
http://www.avguide.com/review/westone-es5-custom-fit-ear-monitor-playback-38
Quite a well-written review overall. But while I liked the tone of the 16, I still find it puzzling that they could be described as dead-neutral in balance even compared to the ES5.. I wish Chris Martens would review the JH13s.

Nov 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #669 of 5,554

Been stalking this thread for a little while now, and been enjoying different user's reviews and thoughts...

I'm about to get my impressions and make the purchase, but getting last minute jitters!!

I listen to a wide range of stuff, but good portion is electronic music (deadmau5, infected mushrooms, etc), to Diana Krall and Sting, etc....

I currently use Westone 3's which I love, but the mid-bass hump tires me out sometimes... but I DO like my bass (a bit of slam here and there)

I'm very tempted to go for the JH13 or 16 for the bigger bass, but logically the ES5 is the best choice for everything, especially considering I use Headstage Arrow as amp (has 2 levels of bass boost)... but there will be times when I'm out with just my Iphone 4 and no amp...

Does the ES5 still give you a nice bass slam if it's amped?  What about when just out of , say an Iphone?  i can see that it's definitely not whimpy from comments of users, having read this thread over for the 3rd time now...

Edit... just re-read the whole thread again... think I don't need to think anymore... ES5 it is~

Re-edit... Oh great... Now JH is having a 15%off sale ...... *headache*

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:01 PM Post #670 of 5,554
I think that it's been pretty clear here what the ES5 bass is like, if you've read this thread.  I've posted the most about it, and so I suspect that you just don't want to believe that the bass with a single driver can be just right.  The ES5 bass is closer to the UM3X/ES3X bass than the W3 bass, and more than enough, and it'd fast and goes deep too.  It's good un-amped and better amp'd, like with anything else.  

The W3 is kinda like a universal fit version of the UE11Pro.  With those people don't usually look for an amp to make it stronger, but they often benefit from an amp to increase bass control. (along with allowing you to use a better quality source and amp for overall and general sonic improvements)

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:09 PM Post #671 of 5,554
Im right there with ya.  My lowly UE IERMs only have 3 BA drivers.  I preferred it to the UE18pro when I demo'd them both.  I'm sorry, but if you can get a flat curve from 20hz-20khz and you enjoy the sound, more drivers are marketing nonsense.  If anything, more cross-over frequencies scare me. 

Quote:
I think that it's been pretty clear here what the ES5 bass is like, if you've read this thread.  I've posted the most about it, and so I suspect that you just don't want to believe that the bass with a single driver can be just right.  The ES5 bass is closer to the UM3X/ES3X bass than the W3 bass, and more than enough, and it'd fast and goes deep too.  It's good un-amped and better amp'd, like with anything else.  

The W3 is kinda like a universal fit version of the UE11Pro.  With those people don't usually look for an amp to make it stronger, but they often benefit from an amp to increase bass control. (along with allowing you to use a better quality source and amp for overall and general sonic improvements)

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:33 PM Post #672 of 5,554
Quote:
Im right there with ya.  My lowly UE IERMs only have 3 BA drivers.  I preferred it to the UE18pro when I demo'd them both.  I'm sorry, but if you can get a flat curve from 20hz-20khz and you enjoy the sound, more drivers are marketing nonsense.  If anything, more cross-over frequencies scare me.

Joe, i don't think that the point of more drivers is a marketing ploy. it drives up the cost of production of the iem while probably adding little to what they can charge if they want to be competitive.  sometimes more drivers is done as a way to decrease excursion & thereby increase transient response & lower distortion.  this technique is used in certain loudspeakers such as the PipeDreams and it's offshoots.  John Grado built speakers for his own use (see pix in the Grado facility tour thread)  that utilize this concept.
the crossover, i'd imagine, should remain the same with doubled drivers as single BAs. either way you're still dividing it into three frequency domains.

Nov 23, 2010 at 3:32 PM Post #673 of 5,554
Nov 23, 2010 at 4:57 PM Post #674 of 5,554
I'm speaking generically.  The audiophile industry is VERY VERY subjective on the higher end.  Most of my experience is with home stuff.  Companies are fighting for every consumer and do whatever they can to differentiate themselves in the market.  Even worse, there is a lot of snake oil.

I'm a very lucky man.  I have a great home audio dealer I've been using since the 80s.  He taught me to demo things.  Take them home.  Spend a week or two with them, and decide if I like them.  

I'm not saying that any specific technology is good or bad.  I just try to communicate that a checkbox on a feature list never made anything sound great.  There are lot's of ways to make great products.

I guess what I'm yammering about is get what you like, and never ever ever buy something based on a number or checkbox.  I enjoy my 2way Nautalis 805d's more than my 3way DyneAudio Contour 5.4s.

Quote:
Quote:

Joe, i don't think that the point of more drivers is a marketing ploy. it drives up the cost of production of the iem while probably adding little to what they can charge if they want to be competitive.  sometimes more drivers is done as a way to decrease excursion & thereby increase transient response & lower distortion.  this technique is used in certain loudspeakers such as the Pipedreams and it's off shoot.  John Grado built speakers for his own use (see pix in the Grado facility tour thread)  that utilize this concept.
the crossover, i'd imagine, should remain the same with doubled drivers as single BAs. either way you're still dividing it into three frequency domains.

Nov 23, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #675 of 5,554
Quote:
I'm speaking generically.  The audiophile industry is VERY VERY subjective on the higher end.  Most of my experience is with home stuff.  Companies are fighting for every consumer and do whatever they can to differentiate themselves in the market.  Even worse, there is a lot of snake oil.
I'm a very lucky man.  I have a great home audio dealer I've been using since the 80s.  He taught me to demo things.  Take them home.  Spend a week or two with them, and decide if I like them. 
I'm not saying that any specific technology is good or bad.  I just try to communicate that a checkbox on a feature list never made anything sound great.  There are lot's of ways to make great products.
I guess what I'm yammering about is get what you like, and never ever ever buy something based on a number or checkbox.  I enjoy my 2way Nautalis 805d's more than my 3way DyneAudio Contour 5.4s.

Quote:
Quote:

Joe, i don't think that the point of more drivers is a marketing ploy. it drives up the cost of production of the iem while probably adding little to what they can charge if they want to be competitive.  sometimes more drivers is done as a way to decrease excursion & thereby increase transient response & lower distortion.  this technique is used in certain loudspeakers such as the Pipedreams and it's off shoot.  John Grado built speakers for his own use (see pix in the Grado facility tour thread)  that utilize this concept.

that's sound advice (
wink.gif
). please keep us updated as to your experience over time with your new uerm iems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back