Westone ES5
Nov 20, 2010 at 8:54 PM Post #646 of 5,554
Looking on the Westone Music Products Facebook page, it looks like there have been some problems with the ES5's drivers. Head-fi mascot Sonic748i had a problem and another head-fi'er also had frequency response problems.

Luckily, it looks like Westone's excellent customer service is handling things.

Nov 21, 2010 at 1:37 AM Post #647 of 5,554
According to the Facebook post, Daniel had a complete sound failure in his right earpiece so that is highly unlikely to have been a driver issue (unless all five somehow failed simultaneously). More likely it was an internal wire or contact problem. It seems that it has been fixed now.

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:24 AM Post #648 of 5,554
I think Westone must be really busy.  I was originally told expect mine in about a week.   Then this week I was told I should have them by Saturday.  Well, I still don't have them.  I don't have any headphones right now and it is driving me nuts.  I guess I wish they wouldn't tell customers what to expect and then not follow through.  I own a business and I'm just not afforded the luxury of not having good customer service so I have a low tolerance when it happens to me.  

Nov 21, 2010 at 5:31 AM Post #649 of 5,554
Could it be your dealer or the shipping? I know shipping has been a nightmare for me especially when making customs - an extra day each to & fro could easily meet a weekend, which would delay the whole process by as much as 4-5 days .... 

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:59 AM Post #650 of 5,554
@animalsrush: Same intials, same smoke color, and now huge ears too? Stop copying me, man! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Good review and I quite agree with your impressions.

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #651 of 5,554

Quote:
@animalsrush, nice review. What EQ settings do you use for the ES5?

did you name it Paul?

Custom 1 : I set Clear Bass to +1 , All other setting are set to +1 as well except 6.3 Hz which is set to 0. Also i have another custom 2 mode where everything is set to 0 and clear bass is set to + 1. In custom 1 i find that i can get clarity without boosting the vol much ( it should as i am bumping the freq). It makes it easy to control the vol on the amp.. More range :)

Nov 21, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #653 of 5,554

Quote:
I think Westone must be really busy.  I was originally told expect mine in about a week.   Then this week I was told I should have them by Saturday.  Well, I still don't have them.  I don't have any headphones right now and it is driving me nuts.  I guess I wish they wouldn't tell customers what to expect and then not follow through.  I own a business and I'm just not afforded the luxury of not having good customer service so I have a low tolerance when it happens to me.  

Real bad luck Kclone.. They must be real busy .. Total turn around for me was about a week. Who did you talk in CS.. Was it Kyle ? He is very helpful...

Nov 21, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #654 of 5,554
I placed my order through my local Audiologist on the 1st, and just picked them up yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't had much listening time, but from what I've heard, they sound great. Attached are a few pic's. The color I ordered is called "gun metal". From what I was told it is new and isn't even listed on their site. It's looks pretty plain in regular light, but has a bit of a translucent sparkle in brighter light. Overall I'm impressed with the quality and packaging. They even threw in a Westone t-shirt which is a very nice touch. So far I am very pleased with their service and quality.

Nov 21, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #655 of 5,554

Quote:
Quote:
sad day for me today.... I was supposed to go Jaben Malaysia to pick up my pair of ES5's after waiting for an eternity (well almost)...

I reached there, they passed me the box, checked out the tags, labeled with my name and my ES5's serial number, then I eagerly opened it...

WOW, my Smoke colored customs were sitting there nicely in the beautiful box, took them out immediately and tried them on, PERFECT FIT ! nice !

took them off again to look at the serial number embossed on the earpieces, which was when I noticed something terribly wrong...

From previous postings on the forums, all the ES5's have their serial numbers starting with ES5xxxx , the pair of customs in my hands had the serial number ES2xxxxx.... alarm bells started ringing, then i took a bright light and shone it through the customs and to my dismay, I only saw 2 drivers :frowning2:

Looks like another 3-4 week wait for them to return the wrong customs and make a new set for me...

On the brighter side, I get to test the ES2 balanced with the RSA protector and it sure blows away all the other Universals I've owned or tried :D:D

Sorry to hear this. Of course I cannot know for sure but... this sounds like it could be a Jaben screw up to me. Whoever screwed up, it's pretty shocking!

Yeah I know =\ but it feels to me like a Westone screw up, since they fit my ears perfectly, and on the tag outside the box, its has my name and the serial number of my ES5's on it which happens to be ES500128, but the customs inside were ES2's

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:23 PM Post #656 of 5,554
BTW did everyone get a t-shirt with their ES5 coz i didn't get one

Also for those who ordered clear or translucent colors can you count the 5 drivers. on mine i could count only 3.  one big one for one bore and 2 small ones for one bore.

Nov 21, 2010 at 9:50 PM Post #658 of 5,554
I really think that the ES5 uses the same drivers as the ES3X but adds a TWFK. There were pics somewhere here but I'm not looking through the thread. The ES5 most likely uses 2 dual driver TWFK (which are really small and if you look closely there should be a split in the middle where you can see it as 2 units) and a big driver in the CI22955.

Nov 21, 2010 at 10:50 PM Post #659 of 5,554

Quote:
I placed my order through my local Audiologist on the 1st, and just picked them up yesterday. Unfortunately I haven't had much listening time, but from what I've heard, they sound great. Attached are a few pic's. The color I ordered is called "gun metal". From what I was told it is new and isn't even listed on their site. It's looks pretty plain in regular light, but has a bit of a translucent sparkle in brighter light. Overall I'm impressed with the quality and packaging. They even through in a Westone t-shirt which is a very nice touch. So far I am very pleased with their service and quality.

Nice!! :) What are the serial numbers? Looks like 1744 from this pic though it's hard to make out. I'm curious cos it seems like a huge jump from the "hundreds" we've been seeing here. :)

Quote:
BTW did everyone get a t-shirt with their ES5 coz i didn't get one

Yup! Got the T-shirt!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back