VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 9, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #496 of 7,982
It seems that the difference between the EX600 and GR07 is slim enough that added portability and isolation would give the GR07 the edge for me as I will end up using them on the c-train. This combined with a complete love of the GR07 sound just makes it all that much easier to enjoy what I have. I think if I manage to sell off my lower end gear I might but a pair of EX600 just to satisfy my curiosity otherwise I will have to hope I get lucky and someone will show up at head-fi meet with a pair I can A/B against.

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:57 PM Post #497 of 7,982
Unless someone wants to loan me a pair for a week or two :wink: :D

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #498 of 7,982

Quote:
It seems that the difference between the EX600 and GR07 is slim enough that added portability and isolation would give the GR07 the edge for me as I will end up using them on the c-train. This combined with a complete love of the GR07 sound just makes it all that much easier to enjoy what I have. I think if I manage to sell off my lower end gear I might but a pair of EX600 just to satisfy my curiosity otherwise I will have to hope I get lucky and someone will show up at head-fi meet with a pair I can A/B against.

X2

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:37 AM Post #499 of 7,982
Myself, I'd say DBA-02 is not a sidestep, just a plain downgrade from GR07. It has neither soundstage, refinement or detail of GR07. Also manages to sound metallic. Fit and build quality are ways behind. There are only few things it has more of: midbass quantity (but definitely not quality), mid-highs ~4kHz. I found it in general unpleasant-sounding.

About Brainwavz vs VSonic: I know the story about the split. Doesn't change one bit that Brainwavz M2 is a slightly modified clone of Visang R03.

Oh, I do think the DBA-02 is not quite in the same technical capacity as the GR07 - considering how there are rolled offs in the bass. However, they are both in the same price range and is known as the bang-for-buck choice in that range. Thus, my comment that the DBA-02 is a side grade.

Disregarding the price, I do believe that the GR07 will be hitting it harder with the top tiers instead, but an almost unbeatable price to performance ratio doesn't necessarily mean that everyone will enjoy their sound signature.

As usual, YMMV. :wink:

Aug 10, 2011 at 12:58 AM Post #500 of 7,982
Wow, this thing sure became the EX600 vs. GR07 battle didn't it?

I haven't heard the EX600 myself but I do think the EX1000 has a most glorious sound, possibly the most impressive universal I've ever heard, so I can imagine what an EX600 would have in its advantage over the GR07 sonically, but I cannot really get over the form factor of the new EX line, however comfortable it is. I'm sure there are people who can be happy with the EX600/800/1000 as a portable IEM, but I think that the GR07 is a much more versatile form factor, despite its flawed cable. If we're dealing with SQ in a quiet room, I have little doubt the EX600 would have the edge over the GR07 unamped. Although it sounds fine without an amp, I much prefer the GR07 amped. Without an amp, it sounds a bit bland at times.

I don't know how the two would fare with a properly amplified desktop setup, however.

Aug 10, 2011 at 2:59 AM Post #501 of 7,982
  To me the EX600 is more technically capable than the GR07 but only by a small margin. When it comes to actual sound preference, it's actually by a pretty big amount.

@vwinter, if you're trying to contrast the GR07, I'll probably go for the FX500s. EX600s are kind of similar, but the FX500 is just a lot more different. FX500s are as capable to both but it's high maintenance, as you need to baby them and really experiment with tips for your sound, comfort is good and easy to achieve though. It's sound is also more specialized, whereas the Sonys and Vsonics are all-rounders. For Jazz and solo-piano,they're doing wonders for me.

If you want a GR07 vs EX600 comparison, EricP has them both in hand. I can't ABX and have to rely on memory for the Vsonics,but I think I can still do a pretty good job, if requested. I will have a shot at the Vsonics again in about a month though. 

Aug 10, 2011 at 4:55 AM Post #502 of 7,982
Well then have at it Inks; I'd really like to hear your impression(s) regarding the GR07 and EX600 my friend. Oh and ericp10, if and when time permits, I've the very same request from you my friend.

On a similar note, while the EX600 isn't too far off from the EX1000, would you say that the same hold true for the FX500 and FX700? If so, how relatively close would you say the 2 are from one another, sonically speaking?

Aug 10, 2011 at 6:29 AM Post #503 of 7,982
I will surely check that pages..
thanks for pointing that out.. I just don't have enough time to read all posts..

Quote:
Quote:
I'm just curious about other people's opinion, can anyone share your experience with RE-ZERO vs GR07?

Check out page 4 and page 13, don't be lazy 
wink.gif

Aug 10, 2011 at 10:53 AM Post #504 of 7,982
I will say this (as to give some quick impressions), I put my favorite tips - large Monster foam hybrids - on the EX600 last night. I was blown away by the spaciousness and the deeper bass (straight into my Sony DAP with no amp and on flat) of the EX600. It did sound like I was listening more to a headphone than IEM. But I have said here a couple of times that I agree that the EX600/EX1000 is somewhat more technically advanced than the GR07.

With all of that said, however, the space between notes of an instrument (in the mids particularly) and layering of micro-details still makes me prefer the GR07 by the tiniest of margins. It's not really a war thing at all between the two imo. It's a preference thing. I think very few people - if any - who have heard both the GR07 and EX600 have said one is junk and the other is gold. And if they are saying it, well that's certainly not where I'm coming from regarding the two.

Aug 10, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #506 of 7,982

On a similar note, while the EX600 isn't too far off from the EX1000, would you say that the same hold true for the FX500 and FX700? If so, how relatively close would you say the 2 are from one another, sonically speaking?

To me the EX1000 does everything better than the EX600,it beats it all-round (though not by a huge margin) with an almost identical sound-signature. FX500s on the other hand beats the 700s in certain aspects and vise-versa because they're different takes on a similar signature. So EX600s are closer to the EX1000s in sound signature than FX500 to FX700 but I think the JVCs are closer in technical proficiency than EX600 to EX1000.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:04 PM Post #509 of 7,982
Aug 10, 2011 at 8:22 PM Post #510 of 7,982

Quote:
Well? First impressions?

I can definitely hear the similarity in sound signature with the W4.  After 30 minutes, I hear more bass quantity and more treble sparkle than the W4 and clearer but thinner mids.  I also hear nice crunchy distortion guitars, so I'm really digging that.  I can tell these are going to change a bit over some hours.  I'm letting them run in while I watch the Braves and listening to a song every so often.

The fit is great and the swiveling nozzle is really a fantastic idea.  Cable and ear guides are nice too, plus the plug fits my iPhone 4 bumper which is a plus.  I'm going to let them run in at least 50 hours before I try them with the Zo.  That will let me get familiar with their natural sound sig as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back