VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 12, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #528 of 7,982
I have original Sony hybrids and did find they changed treble in a subtle fashion slightly reducing the lower treble. They also seem to change the sound stage ever so slightly. But they never affected bass or if they it has been a slight increase. As for comfort, while the stock tip was very comfortable the Sony tip was even a bit more so.

Aug 12, 2011 at 12:55 PM Post #529 of 7,982
need to give them another try. maybe i wasnt get a good fit with them. 

PS: my ears are strange, in left ear any tip enter so easy but in right ear happen the opposite. more anyone have 'stupid' ears like me ? xD

Aug 12, 2011 at 6:42 PM Post #531 of 7,982

Quote:
These clearly have a similar sound signature to the W4's but there are some obvious differences. Most noticeable is that these have more bass grunt and volume to sub bass without additional amplification. Add to that more treble sparkle and air, as well as clarity through the mids. The W4 has a thicker midrange note that gives more warmth, intimacy and weight to vocals. The GR07's are clearer and thinner in the mids and don't have that level of intimacy. Perhaps perfection would be somewhere in between the two here. I can see some thinking the GR07 treble is too hot and preferring the W4 treble but it doesn't bother me and I quite enjoy it. I think the W4 is somewhat technically better but +/- $170 and +/- $400... just d amn.

I haven't started any direct comparisons with the EX1000's but will in the coming days but I'm thinking the Sony's are going to have even greater clarity and detail through the mids and vocals than the GR07's, reach even deeper in sub bass and have much larger soundstage with more air. I'm also thinking the Sony's will render acoustic guitar and piano better as well. However for the price I paid, pound for pound, these are amazing and comfortable phones. You'll definitely see me recommending these in the what should I buy threads.

Tomorrow the ZO has its day...

Looking forward to the direct comparison. Exactly what I thought about W4 vs GR07, however GR07 also have quite a bit more midbass hump in addition to the subbass. W4 at least has no annoying 6k peak, but they end ~1kHz lower than GR07. And indeed, they sound more intimate, and that's not due to a mid boost - it's something else in presentation.

Quote:
need to give them another try. maybe i wasnt get a good fit with them. 

PS: my ears are strange, in left ear any tip enter so easy but in right ear happen the opposite. more anyone have 'stupid' ears like me ? xD

Heh, I have the inverse problem with ears, especially with "medium" silicones such as stock GR07 ones. Mostly because entrance to my ear canal entrance is ellipsoid. It gets wider slightly farther on too.
Deep insertion is uneven with right requiring tips that are tapered more strongly but wider at base to hold. E.g. Comply P slim don't seal there well at all, while T-100 are hard to insert - need to be compressed really hard to fit in, but once they do, the seal's unbreakable. I'm going to try Comply P standard this time.
Not with GR07 of course, they get impossibly lowpassed by the narrow nozzles.

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:33 PM Post #532 of 7,982
Gave 155$ for them which I believe is a pretty good price. Bought them from www.earphone. I am actually quite excited to try them out since these are my first  "HIFI" earphones. I used to have the CX 300 running with my Sansa Clip and I thought that set-up was fantastic. However, I´m taking it to the next level here so I really hope I will be pleased. I will try to come back with some words about them.

Aug 12, 2011 at 8:39 PM Post #533 of 7,982

Quote:

Looking forward to the direct comparison. Exactly what I thought about W4 vs GR07, however GR07 also have quite a bit more midbass hump in addition to the subbass. W4 at least has no annoying 6k peak, but they end ~1kHz lower than GR07. And indeed, they sound more intimate, and that's not due to a mid boost - it's something else in presentation.

The hump in this graph is what I heard and interpreted as the warmth and intimacy of lower register of vocals on the W4.  I don't hear this same mid bass hump in the GR07. 
http://sonove.angry.jp/Westone4/FR_Westone4_vs_ER4P.gif

It'll probably be Monday or Tuesday before I get around to the a/b of the GR07 and EX1000.

Aug 13, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #534 of 7,982
So here are some initial thoughts using the ZO with the GR07's:

Sub bass quantity is increased.  I can use many, if not all, of the steps on the zo without affecting the overall sound signature and quality of sound.  I think the zo really ads to the enjoyment of drums and bass guitar.  Very impactful sub bass grunt.

The most important thing the zo does for the GR07 is improving dynamics.  This is extremely beneficial in not having to turn up the volume so much to enjoy everything the GR07 does so well.  Without the zo, I find myself needing to listen to them a bit louder than I'd really want to do for an extended period of time.  I'm pretty particular about listening at lower volumes most times and this may not be an issue for owners that normally listen at louder volumes.

I think maybe Ericp10 said something to this effect earlier in this thread or the W4 thread:  The GR07 can really be described as the W4's little brother.  As I've stated before, there are definitely differences but I really think this simple description applies.

Next up: EX1000 and FX700 A/B compares...

Aug 13, 2011 at 9:37 AM Post #535 of 7,982
So here are some initial thoughts using the ZO with the GR07's:

Sub bass quantity is increased.  I can use many, if not all, of the steps on the zo without affecting the overall sound signature and quality of sound.  I think the zo really ads to the enjoyment of drums and bass guitar.  Very impactful sub bass grunt.

The most important thing the zo does for the GR07 is improving dynamics.  This is extremely beneficial in not having to turn up the volume so much to enjoy everything the GR07 does so well.  Without the zo, I find myself needing to listen to them a bit louder than I'd really want to do for an extended period of time.  I'm pretty particular about listening at lower volumes most times and this may not be an issue for owners that normally listen at louder volumes.

I think maybe Ericp10 said something to this effect earlier in this thread or the W4 thread:  The GR07 can really be described as the W4's little brother.  As I've stated before, there are definitely differences but I really think this simple description applies.

Next up: EX1000 and FX700 A/B compares...

I actually thought of the GR07 as the EX1000's little brother with its soundstage, clairty, and layering. However, I can see a little bit of W4's traits, since the GR07 is comparatively warmer than the EX1000.

Maybe the little hybrid of EX1000 and W4? :p

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #536 of 7,982
Sooooo, about this Zo... :D

Would you guys say that it's an amp in general? Or...?
My brain is having a bit of trouble wrapping itself around it.

In what way does it increase the bass? I only occasionally want a little more rumble depending on the song, that's it. Will it do that?

Also, do you guys just keep it at home or are you using it on the go? If on the go, is it a pain to bring around and unwieldy when say handling your dap?
Thanks in advance

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #537 of 7,982

It is a portable amp, plain and simple. But it's main focus is to increase the sub bass in your earphones without impeding on the rest of the sound signature. If anything, it will add a bit more weight to other instrumentation in the sound spectrum, but won't change the earphone's natural sound signature. It's smaller than an iPod Nano, so it's definitely made to be portable. I connect to my iPods or Sony DAP with a standard double-wrapper rubber band and away I go....Zofied!!
Quote:
Sooooo, about this Zo...
biggrin.gif

Would you guys say that it's an amp in general? Or...?
My brain is having a bit of trouble wrapping itself around it.

In what way does it increase the bass? I only occasionally want a little more rumble depending on the song, that's it. Will it do that?

Also, do you guys just keep it at home or are you using it on the go? If on the go, is it a pain to bring around and unwieldy when say handling your dap?
Thanks in advance

Aug 13, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #538 of 7,982
To add to that, it has 32 levels of bass contouring. V2 coming out in a month or so will have a digital volume control. Current version doesn't have volume control so you use it from HO. At level zero it acts as a plain amp. Size is smaller than a gen 5 nano but a little longer than a 6 gen nano.

Aug 13, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #539 of 7,982
Great, thanks guys. I'll just wait for v2 then I guess since it's so close to release. I hope they'll have some retail channels so that I can test it out.
So when people say that the GR07 sounds great amped, this'll do it then? Because if that's the case, it's like two birds with one stone and sounds definitely worth it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back