VSONIC GR07 Impressions Thread
Aug 10, 2011 at 8:37 PM Post #511 of 7,982

X2 .... Whoa! Wait to your GR07 meets the Zo! 
L3000.gif

Quote:
I can definitely hear the similarity in sound signature with the W4.  After 30 minutes, I hear more bass quantity and more treble sparkle than the W4 and clearer but thinner mids.  I also hear nice crunchy distortion guitars, so I'm really digging that.  I can tell these are going to change a bit over some hours.  I'm letting them run in while I watch the Braves and listening to a song every so often.

The fit is great and the swiveling nozzle is really a fantastic idea.  Cable and ear guides are nice too, plus the plug fits my iPhone 4 bumper which is a plus.  I'm going to let them run in at least 50 hours before I try them with the Zo.  That will let me get familiar with their natural sound sig as well.

Aug 10, 2011 at 8:48 PM Post #512 of 7,982
If it means anything to you, after the first few hours, I noticed the same changes as you as well as some increased clarity and transparency. After that, I didn't notice much change till about 150 hours in. =\ it was a long ride.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:11 PM Post #513 of 7,982
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericp10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
X2 .... Whoa! Wait to your GR07 meets the Zo! 
L3000.gif

Precisely why I'm patiently awaiting my own pair as well. Though I must admit, I'm just as eager to try the Zo with the RE0/RE-ZERO, but that'll have to wait.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:50 PM Post #514 of 7,982
After 2.5 hours, I just listened to COC's Wishbone and the distortion guitars sounded fantastic. I also heard some really nice sounding drums. I can't wait to spend some quality time with them tomorrow.

I can't get over the great fit. Finally a top dynamic with BA housing like fit. Gotta love it.

Aug 10, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #515 of 7,982
I'm anxious to hear your impression of the GR07 against the EX1000 and FX700, and more importantly, eventually the GRZo7.
wink.gif

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:20 AM Post #516 of 7,982
So I got my pair and put around 300 hours of listening to it. After listening with the 4 supplied pair of tips, I settled on the foam tips. However, the plastic thingy inside the foams already came off for one of my tips D=

Grah, I guess I need to take better care of my stuff. Anyone have any recommendations for other foam tips to use with these IEMs.

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:44 AM Post #518 of 7,982

Guitars were the first thing that stood out for me as well. But I have to say over time it's how cymbals sound that sets these apart for me as often as not. The ability to here minor diofferences in cymbals is very good in my opinion. As for fit 100% agreement with you.
Quote:
After 2.5 hours, I just listened to COC's Wishbone and the distortion guitars sounded fantastic. I also heard some really nice sounding drums. I can't wait to spend some quality time with them tomorrow.

I can't get over the great fit. Finally a top dynamic with BA housing like fit. Gotta love it.

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #519 of 7,982

Quote:
So I got my pair and put around 300 hours of listening to it. After listening with the 4 supplied pair of tips, I settled on the foam tips. However, the plastic thingy inside the foams already came off for one of my tips D=

Grah, I guess I need to take better care of my stuff. Anyone have any recommendations for other foam tips to use with these IEMs.

Monster foam hybrid tips (white foam with white silicon cores) are the best for me. You may need to fine core (use the ones that came out of the gray tips) and play those inside of the Monsters'. Best sound for bass in my opinion without impeding on the rest of the sound range.

Aug 11, 2011 at 7:53 PM Post #520 of 7,982

A little past the 24 hour mark...
I'm really loving the way these sound. They are a great hard rock/metal phone. The distortion guitar crunch they produce is very believable. Ericp10 and Dweaver - Drums and cymbals are sounding fantastic. You can clearly hear every piece of kit.

These clearly have a similar sound signature to the W4's but there are some obvious differences. Most noticeable is that these have more bass grunt and volume to sub bass without additional amplification. Add to that more treble sparkle and air, as well as clarity through the mids. The W4 has a thicker midrange note that gives more warmth, intimacy and weight to vocals. The GR07's are clearer and thinner in the mids and don't have that level of intimacy. Perhaps perfection would be somewhere in between the two here. I can see some thinking the GR07 treble is too hot and preferring the W4 treble but it doesn't bother me and I quite enjoy it. I think the W4 is somewhat technically better but +/- $170 and +/- $400... just d amn.

I haven't started any direct comparisons with the EX1000's but will in the coming days but I'm thinking the Sony's are going to have even greater clarity and detail through the mids and vocals than the GR07's, reach even deeper in sub bass and have much larger soundstage with more air. I'm also thinking the Sony's will render acoustic guitar and piano better as well. However for the price I paid, pound for pound, these are amazing and comfortable phones. You'll definitely see me recommending these in the what should I buy threads.

Tomorrow the ZO has its day...

Aug 11, 2011 at 10:06 PM Post #522 of 7,982

I JUST inboxed you asking this same question....lol (new thoughts).  I think since we have similar thoughts of sound signature, I'm willing to bet that you give the edge to the 1000s on strings and acoustic guitar, and the edge to the GR07 on electric guitar and drums. Yes, it would be great if they could combine the W4 and GR07 somehow. It seems like every top  tier IEM does a little something better than the next one. Not one has everything in my opinion. Piano between the GR07 and the EX1000 is a tough one for me. I sort of prefer the Gr07, although it may be rendered technically better on the 1000.
Quote:

A little past the 24 hour mark...
I'm really loving the way these sound. They are a great hard rock/metal phone. The distortion guitar crunch they produce is very believable. Ericp10 and Dweaver - Drums and cymbals are sounding fantastic. You can clearly hear every piece of kit.

These clearly have a similar sound signature to the W4's but there are some obvious differences. Most noticeable is that these have more bass grunt and volume to sub bass without additional amplification. Add to that more treble sparkle and air, as well as clarity through the mids. The W4 has a thicker midrange note that gives more warmth, intimacy and weight to vocals. The GR07's are clearer and thinner in the mids and don't have that level of intimacy. Perhaps perfection would be somewhere in between the two here. I can see some thinking the GR07 treble is too hot and preferring the W4 treble but it doesn't bother me and I quite enjoy it. I think the W4 is somewhat technically better but +/- $170 and +/- $400... just d amn.

I haven't started any direct comparisons with the EX1000's but will in the coming days but I'm thinking the Sony's are going to have even greater clarity and detail through the mids and vocals than the GR07's, reach even deeper in sub bass and have much larger soundstage with more air. I'm also thinking the Sony's will render acoustic guitar and piano better as well. However for the price I paid, pound for pound, these are amazing and comfortable phones. You'll definitely see me recommending these in the what should I buy threads.

Tomorrow the ZO has its day...

Aug 11, 2011 at 11:22 PM Post #524 of 7,982

Quote:
I was missing my W4's a bit since I sold them.  Not anymore.

Well, I just got the W4, and I'm not inclined to sell them, but at the current price swing I would recommend someone get the GR07 over the W4 if the issue is VFM. Now, I got a really great deal on my W4, so it's a little bit easier for me justify keeping both. If I had paid full price for the W4 (and I had the GR07 too), the Westone would be listed in the classifieds. 

Aug 12, 2011 at 10:55 AM Post #525 of 7,982
i received today sony hybrids (reals not fakes) and i didnt like them. from what i listen they reduce the quantity bass ( is very noticiable), make the sound not so clear compared original vsonic tips and when i listen a track from " A day ro remember" the sound was very confused. the vsonic tip in this track do a much clean and detailed sound and fun to listen, the hybrids in this specific track was very very anoying. 

in confort i still prefer the original small silicon vsonic tip. now i will look if someone want to buy them for 5€ (cost me 10€). was except much more from sony hybrids...

next tips will be foam tips from monster. hope this one will be much much better than sonic hybrids

Users who are viewing this thread

Back