Vegan headphones
Jun 2, 2012 at 12:32 PM Post #61 of 77
That's just upholstery vinyl and it's only an oversized lip to attach it to the headphone.  More pics in the album.

Also, Hikaru chirped happily when I told her that someone said she looked awesome.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #63 of 77
It's not too hard.  It just takes an inordinate amount of time to do my hand since I don't have a sewing machine.

Jun 2, 2012 at 12:48 PM Post #64 of 77
is Hikaru toilet trained...hope she doesnt take the pads for the pottie.
tongue_smile.gif

this thread is interesting, guess i am not a good vegan,
i am guilty of chewing on my Jmoney lambs.
rolleyes.gif

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:01 PM Post #65 of 77
Quote:
is Hikaru toilet trained...hope she doesnt take the pads for the pottie.
tongue_smile.gif

Not really, but she will go on command if I hold her over a trash can so that will give me at least 10 minutes of not having to worry about it.

Jun 3, 2012 at 11:14 AM Post #66 of 77
Quote:
Yes, animal products can be considered renewable as long as the ranching/agriculture is done in a sustainable manner - this generally means no corporate farms. It's a grey area on a larger scale though; cows take LOTS of resources to raise and harvest, and produce relatively little biomass in return. Their cultivation also usually requires hydrocarbons, but it doesn't use hydrocarbons to directly produce (in other words steak-ums are not a clever re-arrangement of oil; like plastics can be/are).

renewable but not planet friendly...

http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/climate-change/cow-emissions-more-damaging-to-planet-than-co2-from-cars-427843.html

Jun 4, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #68 of 77
I guess you can also try sending a mail to the headphone companies, they should respond to this request, its pretty reasonable.

Jun 4, 2012 at 1:07 AM Post #69 of 77
I guess you can also try sending a mail to the headphone companies, they should respond to this request, its pretty reasonable.

Honestly I think most headphones would meet the burden, if the question over plastics is removed. Looking at my current collection, all of them are "animal free" except for the leather case that the ESP/950 includes (but the earpads and headband are not leather) - but all of them (except the F1) are also plastic of some sort, so the question comes back to whether or not the plastics are "animal free" and I'm not sure if even the manufacturers could tell you that. So for most vegetarians/eco-conscious people, I think most headphones will work apart from the few models that explicitly use leather or non-renewable hardwoods (and basically I can only think of Audio-Technica and Headphile models that would really meet this burden, and I have no idea what the sustainability looks like for their chosen wood products; FWIR Grado actually has wood grown just for their use (or more generally for industrial uses and Grado is one of many buyers), instead of chopping down a natural forest, and I think Denon and JVC probably do the same).

But I agree, it's fairly reasonable with something like headphones to ensure they're vegetarian/vegan friendly - like Aude'z'e has done.

Dec 8, 2015 at 3:37 AM Post #70 of 77
Great o see some fellow vegans here on head-fi!

I am a speaker kind of guy. But foolishly jumped in on the Fostex th-x00 hype train... Thinking I could ask them to remove the pads if not replace eggshell pads with vegan alternatives... I haven't had a reply. Little wider given the hoopla.

If I were to buy my own vegan pads, what should I get?

I hear the Audeze vegan pads fit.
Luke

Dec 10, 2015 at 1:26 PM Post #71 of 77
Great o see some fellow vegans here on head-fi!

I am a speaker kind of guy. But foolishly jumped in on the Fostex th-x00 hype train... Thinking I could ask them to remove the pads if not replace eggshell pads with vegan alternatives... I haven't had a reply. Little wider given the hoopla.

If I were to buy my own vegan pads, what should I get?

I hear the Audeze vegan pads fit.
Luke

Very old thread (and I'm guessing that may explain why folks aren't responding anymore).

As far as replacing pads on a pair of cans like the TH-x00, you can change the sound pretty dramatically if you change pad size/texture (this is true of sealed headphones in general). That said, JVC HP-DX1000 owners report positive experiences with the Audeze vegan pads and not doing horrible things to the sound, so maybe that would hold true for the TH series as well (I honestly don't know.

I may be mistaken but I also thought the Fostex pads were synthetic and the "eggshell" thing is a translation quirk, but whatever the pads are made from, the headband is also made from (it at least feels/looks/smells the same on my TH-900), so if you're unable to live with the pads due to your personal convictions, probably the entire headphone is unsuitable as the headband is not designed to be replaceable.

Dec 10, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #72 of 77
Damn - thanks so much for the heads up!
Shows how little I know!

I did wonder about the 'eggshell protein' it's not something I've come across before... Might google it.

Given theft demand, I thought they would be able to cancel my order... But haven't heard peep from my two emails - as of yet.

Silly vegan.

Feb 5, 2016 at 11:10 PM Post #73 of 77
I am a vegan too. You can consider the Beyerdynamic DT1770pro as alternative to the Fostexs. This seems to use syntetic leather in his headband and velour earpads, and plastic cups.

Feb 6, 2016 at 2:16 AM Post #74 of 77
Thanks Willashort - I had thought they looked interesting...
Sadly, it will be a while before I reinvest in new audio toys.. Time to replenish the stocks... And enjoy what I have.

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #75 of 77
The massdrop Focal Elex seems to be vegan. They are using microfiber in place of leather.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back