Aug 4, 2010 at 2:19 AM Post #17 of 77

Quote:
vinyl or gtfo.

You had a typo there, fixed it for you. 
tongue_smile.gif

11252p.jpg

Aug 4, 2010 at 4:25 AM Post #18 of 77

Quote:
At least dairy is easy to avoid in Japan. LoL The eggs and fish, very tough. Avoiding dashi has got to be a challenge. Even miso soup has it. There's always natto and rice (I believe a fellow Head-Fi'er has a similar name). I just never could get to like natto. Cooking your own food must make it easier. Can you make a good dashi without bonito?

I really miss real home cooked Japanese food. Now I'm hungry. :) Kaso itai.

Yeah. Well, I do not mind milk and stuff since I eat dairy products and also eggs (I avoid meat, poultry and fish).
However, I have to capitulate to dashi while here in Japan. Otherwise I would not be able to eat anything. That means that I at least can eat stuff like udon. When I go back to Sweden I can become more strict again.  I actually like natto. I am a vegetarian for ethical reasons, but other than that I am not picky with food. The only Japanese food I cannot eat is umeboshi. Salty pickled prunes is where I draw the limit!
Soon dinner time here and okaasan, my mother in law, has probably made something delicious again. Eating Japanese food (and excluding meat, poultry and fish from it) has made me lose about 8 kilo in 6 months. No more love handles here! (which my wife appreciates)

Back to topic: I never considered the possibility of animal products in plastic, but it would not surprise me if that is a fact. Quite a strange practice to do that, if I may say so...

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #20 of 77

Quote:
Audeze do a leather free version of the LCD2, vegetarian but not sure whether it's vegan...

You mean there's possibly eggs and dairy used in those LCD2s? Ew.

Apr 19, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #22 of 77
Hey, I'm a vegan head-fier too. Didn't want you to think you were the only one! I think you are a little more scrupulous than I am though ... I don't want any leather with my cans but I didn't even think that they might sneak other animal bits in there. It is hard being a true vegan. Animal "products" are used in developing certain photos, for instance, and I'm not going to try to avoid buying anything with photos in it ... In general I just try to do the best I can. Anyway ... more power to you!

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:06 PM Post #23 of 77

Quote:
Hey, I'm a vegan head-fier too. Didn't want you to think you were the only one! I think you are a little more scrupulous than I am though ... I don't want any leather with my cans but I didn't even think that they might sneak other animal bits in there. It is hard being a true vegan. Animal "products" are used in developing certain photos, for instance, and I'm not going to try to avoid buying anything with photos in it ... In general I just try to do the best I can. Anyway ... more power to you!

As it happens, I'm not a vegan either (vegetarian for 20 odd years), but as it was the title of the thread and jerg asked a perfectly reasonable question...

I'm saving for the LCD2s and quite content with veggie not vegan cans...

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:28 PM Post #24 of 77

Quote:

more likely to be beeswax in the wood care kit...

It is good that you pointed this out but it is not something that all vegans are going to be concerned about. I have no problem eating honey or using beeswax. I personally think avoiding honey and beeswax is a little over the top.

Apr 19, 2012 at 4:30 PM Post #25 of 77

Quote:

As it happens, I'm not a vegan either (vegetarian for 20 odd years), but as it was the title of the thread and jerg asked a perfectly reasonable question...

I'm saving for the LCD2s and quite content with veggie not vegan cans...

I didn't ask anything, I frickin love animal-derived products and food.

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #26 of 77
The only headphone I can think of that would fit this is the Sony MDR-F1. It's got a magnesium alloy/duralumin (copper + magnesium) frame (no way that came out of an animal), uses Escaine pads and headband (which are a synthetic - http://www.toray.com/business/products/fibers/textiles/tex_001.html ), and the drivers are some sort of plastic. The cable and termination is all metal with whatever sheath (vinyl? nylon?). My point is, I don't think anything in these headphones at any point ever had "life" associated with it.

And yes I know it's an old thread, but it's an interesting topic, and I've been somewhat curious why there isn't a list of headphones that are vegan/vegetarian friendly (really what got me thinking about it was the "real leather" adverts on the SA5000). 

Edit

Just thought about this a bit more, but I think the Beats Pro and Beyer DT48 might actually make it into this category as well. They're both almost entirely metal and use synthetic (vinyl or pleather) pads. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #28 of 77

Quote:
I didn't ask anything, I frickin love animal-derived products and food.

Originally Posted by jerg /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You mean there's possibly eggs and dairy used in those LCD2s? Ew.

I thought the question mark marked a question, my mistake...

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #29 of 77
Hey, you made that connection; not me.  
tongue_smile.gif

I simply looked for all-metal or nearly all-metal headphones that don't use leather either in the headphone or packaging. I ignored plastic 'phones because some of them use leather in the packaging (ESP/950), and because the comment was raised that plastics may contain animal products (so that excludes the Ultrasone PRO line-up and things like it - I don't know if plastic really does contain animals, but I know that metal doesn't). I ignored wood because of the beeswax comment and because most woodies have leather somewhere in their construction (e.g. RS-2, W5000), but some do not (e.g. AH-A100). Basically the goal was to satisfy absolutely everyone, and not have any problems. I could only come up with three. 

If we ignore the plastic and wood arguments, add in stuff like the Ultrasone PROs, the Denon woodies, the AT W1000 and 1000X, all Bose headphones, and some other assorted plastic 'phones like the HD 580 and Grado SR line (I don't remember if the 325 uses a leather or vinyl headband though), many Beyers, etc. 
Quote:
So wait a minute ... are you saying .... that there is actually something good about the Beats?

May 29, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #30 of 77
Whoa! Can't believe this thread has been resurrected! I actually moved on to the KRK KNS 8400. I wasn't really concerned about beeswax and honey. :p More just concerned about leather and anything else that actually came from an animal. Anyhow, thanks for everyone's support. :) 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back