Vegan headphones
May 29, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #31 of 77
I think most of your concern as a vegan is in the leather pads. Senn or Beyer headphones for example mostly use velour or pleather so I think that should be fine.

May 29, 2012 at 3:25 AM Post #33 of 77
Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic don't use leather because its a more expensive material than velour or pleather.

A case of hitting two birds with one stone?

May 29, 2012 at 8:47 AM Post #37 of 77
Quote:
I didn't think they would care anyways. Why change the whole product to account for less than 1% of their target market?

Yeah, I mean it's another upside for velour pads as well, gaining that 1% of market 
tongue.gif

May 29, 2012 at 8:57 AM Post #38 of 77
Quote:
Yeah, I mean it's another upside for velour pads as well, gaining that 1% of market 
tongue.gif

Hey, Velours rock either way.

Quote:
I doubt its ever occurred to a headphone marketer to consider the dietary preferences of potential customers. Ever. 

Audeze has Vegan earpads marketed specifically to Vegans.

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/audeze-lcd-2lcd-3-vegan-earpads.php

May 29, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #39 of 77
Many think the AH-D 7000s by Denon have leather ear-pads. They are not real leather. Some wood was used though. So I guess a living thing gave it's life for em.

May 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM Post #40 of 77
Quote:
Many think the AH-D 7000s by Denon have leather ear-pads. They are not real leather. Some wood was used though. So I guess a living thing gave it's life for em.

I honestly think that has more to do with Denon cheaping out on the ear-pad materials than being conscious.

May 29, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #41 of 77
Quote:
I honestly think that has more to do with Denon cheaping out on the ear-pad materials than being conscious.

I never though of them as cheap, but you may have a point there. Come to think of it, I have never had a set of leather pads? I am not sure what they would be like. I think I did try some R-10s with em at a meet once. I figure the whole thing with pad material comes to mind after much use, if your not vegan then your just concentrating on the sound. Most pleather does seem to peel off after a couple of years of heavy use. They also have a material called Ultra-leather which is a urethane bonded to Lycra which I have heard never peels off. No one I know uses it though outside of the motor home industry? Cost may be a factor as it is more than leather. If someone obtained a line of aftermarket ear-pads with Ultra-leather I am sure they would be a great seller due to the comfort and durability factors. 

May 29, 2012 at 9:28 AM Post #42 of 77
Quote:

Hey, Velours rock either way.

Audeze has Vegan earpads marketed specifically to Vegans.

http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/audeze-lcd-2lcd-3-vegan-earpads.php

LOL that's unexpected from Audeze. But the pads are expensive though. I do actually prefer velour pads over leather since it's hot over here 
tongue.gif
. The exception goes to my W3000anv though.

May 29, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #43 of 77
Leather can wear out the same as pleather depending on the quality of the leather and how well it has been treated, but I think for the most part it is about that luxurious leather feel. That's something I would expect from a $500+ headphone that doesn't use velour. The ESW9's use leather earpads and headband and are also nicely priced at around $250.

May 29, 2012 at 9:31 AM Post #44 of 77
I never understood why the Audio Technica W1000x is marketed as a luxurious headphone with wood earcups and a beautiful finish, yet still have pleather pads.

May 29, 2012 at 9:34 AM Post #45 of 77

Users who are viewing this thread

Back