Vegan headphones
Aug 3, 2010 at 4:07 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 77

Sonic Atrocity

500+ Head-Fier
I am not looking for a philosophical discussion here. So far I have really appreciated everyone's help and over the last week or so this is becoming one of my favourite websites! I am a vegan and if I get headphones I really don't want to have any animal products in them. I have heard that Seinheisser is vegan but I don't know if it's true. Anyways, I appreciate you taking the time to read/answer this thread. For those who may have some comments about veganism you can message me and are more than welcome to do so. But, my purpose here is not to spread my beliefs. Instead, it is to be part of the audiophile community! 

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:11 AM Post #2 of 77
Most headphones use faux-leather, not real leather. I can't imagine plastic produced by any animals. (lol)
Just check their product pages. Most of the time, if the leather's real, it would be advertised as so, since that's a premium feature. If you are still unsure, you can always contact their service representatives.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #4 of 77
I can understand your problem. Myself I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian (something that is very difficult to be when you live in Japan as almost all food has got animal products in it. While living here I can agree to for instance eat noodles in fish broth or the occational dish with some gelatin in it. However I do my best to limit this.).

I always try to avoid leather products, but I am not 100% kosher. If possible, I buy what has not got any animal parts, but if it cannot be avoided I try to get the one with the least amount.
Concerning headphones I am certain that most, and especially the cheaper ones, use pleather, but it is almost never clearly stated. So perhaps the best thing would be to contact the company that produces the headphone you are interested in and asking them what material they use.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 77
Is it the headphone itself or the company as a whole? There are many headphones at all price and performance levels that don't use leather. There are very few companies, if any, that refrain from using any leather. You can buy very nice headphones that don't have any leather. Grados, Senn HD650/HD800, Beyer 880 and others. Tell us what you like, what you listen to and your budget and I bet there's something you can get.

Aug 3, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #6 of 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danneq  
" I can understand your problem. Myself I am a lacto-ovo vegetarian (something that is very difficult to be when you live in Japan as almost all food has got animal products in it. While living here I can agree to for instance eat noodles in fish broth or the occational dish with some gelatin in it. However I do my best to limit this.).
I always try to avoid leather products, but I am not 100% kosher. If possible, I buy what has not got any animal parts, but if it cannot be avoided I try to get the one with the least amount. Concerning headphones I am certain that most, and especially the cheaper ones, use pleather, but it is almost never clearly stated. So perhaps the best thing would be to contact the company that produces the headphone you are interested in and asking them what material they use."

At least dairy is easy to avoid in Japan. LoL The eggs and fish, very tough. Avoiding dashi has got to be a challenge. Even miso soup has it. There's always natto and rice (I believe a fellow Head-Fi'er has a similar name). I just never could get to like natto. Cooking your own food must make it easier. Can you make a good dashi without bonito?

I really miss real home cooked Japanese food. Now I'm hungry. :) Kaso itai.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:46 PM Post #7 of 77
I don't think Sennheisers have any leather and I don't think that animals are used in plastic production. The higher end Grados have leather headbands, as do some AKGs and Beyerdynamics.

I don't fault your tastes - I'm pretty much vegan Monday through Friday. Has more to do with maintaining weight loss, but I absolutely understand you.

Aug 3, 2010 at 2:48 PM Post #8 of 77
Yeah, the best way to be sure is to contact the manufacturer.
I understand your concern, I have a vegan friend.

Also, I'm almost positive that most headphone companies don't test their products on animals
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:20 PM Post #10 of 77
Animal byproducts are used in absolutely everything.  You'll have a hard time finding a consumer product that is 'vegan safe.'  Plenty might be, but good luck finding anyone who actually knows.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:26 PM Post #11 of 77
It's highly likely that the plastics contain animal fat because of the use of glycerin.  Agreed that the only way to know for sure will be to contact the companies directly.

Aug 3, 2010 at 4:31 PM Post #12 of 77

Quote:
It's highly likely that the plastics contain animal fat because of the use of glycerin.  Agreed that the only way to know for sure will be to contact the companies directly.

Some products nowadays use animal fat, even soap. 
Regarding headphones, they use pleather...its synthetic leather (in other words, a fake of genuine leather = 0% of animal fat)

Aug 3, 2010 at 5:12 PM Post #13 of 77
^
Funny how you should mention soap. Soap was exclusively animal fat and milk until modern chemistry came along.

Though, I have to agree that most stuff nowadays originate from animal products. I didn't know plastics often contained animal products at the very bottom of the production process, but I found out that there's a cellulose-based plastic (which is plant based). Some plastics, such as Nylon, is completely synthetic.

Aug 3, 2010 at 6:05 PM Post #14 of 77
Brother.
rolleyes.gif

Aug 4, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #15 of 77
Well, thanks for the responses guys! I certainly appreciate it. I understand that it may almost be completely unavoidable to get something that is completely vegan. However, the idea for me is to do my best and go as safe as possible. I have a whole philosophy revolving around this but won't get into it.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back