USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 21, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,636 of 6,159
Hi.
Am using UAPP on a samsung Note Pro, Android 5.02, and Oppo HA 2 DAC.

Have played some HiRes 96/24 5.1 channel flac, without any apparent loss from the surround channels. Is it UAPP combining the surround channels into 2-channel stereo, or would it be my DAC doing this?

I'd have to check the FFmpeg sources, but my guess is that it only takes the first two channels, but I'm not 100% sure.

Jun 22, 2018 at 9:52 AM Post #1,637 of 6,159
Jun 22, 2018 at 10:17 AM Post #1,638 of 6,159
^
...(pronounced “ko-buzz”)...

I am so glad this was clarified in the article.

Jun 22, 2018 at 1:34 PM Post #1,639 of 6,159
David Solomon, Chief Hi-Res Music Evangelist for Qobuz USA, mentions UAPP as an official partner!

Qobuz: Coming to America
The Sound & Vision Interview
https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-coming-america

That was in alphabetical order, otherwise I'm sure UAPP would come first. :)
Has anyone knowledge to understand if Qobuz is an alternative to Tidal by volume of songs, recommendation system, genres, etc.?
Qobuz is announcing hi-res of 192/24

Jun 22, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #1,640 of 6,159
Has anyone knowledge to understand if Qobuz is an alternative to Tidal by volume of songs, recommendation system, genres, etc.?
Qobuz is announcing hi-res of 192/24

I subscribe to both, and much prefer the Qobuz approach to interface and content. They are stronger in some genres than others. Tidal is probably better in pop, especially hip-hop. Qobuz seems better in jazz and classical, but has a solid rock, country, and folk catalog too. That's based on the Qobuz European service. We don't yet know what agreements they have with the labels for the US.

Tidal offers only a little over 100,000 MQA tracks (I totaled them here), while Qobuz was claiming 1 million Hi-Res tracks earlier this year and this interview states 2 million. In CD-quality FLAC Wikipedia says Tidal has about 48.5 million tracks while Qobuz has 40 million. I seldom fail to find anything I'm looking for there.

To discuss further, we should take this over to the Qobuz thread.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2018 at 4:03 AM Post #1,642 of 6,159
I subscribe to both, and much prefer the Qobuz approach to interface and content. They are stronger in some genres than others. Tidal is probably better in pop, especially hip-hop. Qobuz seems better in jazz and classical, but has a solid rock, country, and folk catalog too. That's based on the Qobuz European service. We don't yet know what agreements they have with the labels for the US.

Tidal offers only a little over 100,000 MQA tracks (I totaled them here), while Qobuz was claiming 1 million Hi-Res tracks earlier this year and this interview states 2 million. In CD-quality FLAC Wikipedia says Tidal has about 48.5 million tracks while Qobuz has 40 million. I seldom fail to find anything I'm looking for there.

Thanks a lot, just suscribed
Jazz and 70's/progressive rock are my main music streams. I will give a look.

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:21 AM Post #1,643 of 6,159
The sound signature changed with these latest updates. My dacs sounds brighter and thiner now, more treble, less mids and bass. I want my bass and mids back! :triportsad:

I'm sorry, but nothing gets ever changed in the audio system these days. Which Android device do you have and do you use a USB DAC?

Jun 24, 2018 at 3:12 AM Post #1,644 of 6,159
Streaming through Google Music seems to be very laggy. There's a 10 second lag between trying to play or skip tracks. This is on my home wifi, and it doesn't happen on the Google Music app. Is this normal? Also are there any plans to include in app Spotify streaming?

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 4:57 AM Post #1,645 of 6,159
Streaming through Google Music seems to be very laggy. There's a 10 second lag between trying to play or skip tracks. This is on my home wifi, and it doesn't happen on the Google Music app. Is this normal? Also are there any plans to include in app Spotify streaming?

Tracks must be downloaded in its entirety because their URL's are only valid for 1 minute. UAPP waits until the whole track is downloaded before starting playback, whereas Google Music probably starts playback already while downloading. If you would play an entire album, you would only notice this on the first track. We can probably improve things here. On my WiFi it takes about 3 seconds, but it also depends on the length of the track.

Spotify will not give us a license unfortunately.

Jun 24, 2018 at 7:50 AM Post #1,647 of 6,159
A question for anyone on a mobile/cellular phone plan which offers unlimited data for music streaming- is streaming via Google Music included in this data allowance seeing as you are essentially listening offline (and hence downloading) in UAPP even when you are live streaming? I'm thinking about joining one of these types of plans specifically so I can listen to Google Music through UAPP and I don't want to find that doing it this way will incur normal data usage outside of the free allowance for music streaming. If anyone in Australia using Optus could chime in that would be ideal.
Cheers peers.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 10:58 AM Post #1,648 of 6,159
Tracks must be downloaded in its entirety because their URL's are only valid for 1 minute. UAPP waits until the whole track is downloaded before starting playback, whereas Google Music probably starts playback already while downloading. If you would play an entire album, you would only notice this on the first track. We can probably improve things here. On my WiFi it takes about 3 seconds, but it also depends on the length of the track.

Spotify will not give us a license unfortunately.
Ahhhh, this may explain why downloading files for offline on Google Music always pauses and needs to be resumed manually.
On a side note, the TrueFi app by Sonarworks apparently offers Spotify integration, but i haven't managed to get it to work. Not sure how they managed to secure a license, especially considering it's a free beta.

Last edited:
Jun 24, 2018 at 10:51 PM Post #1,649 of 6,159

You seem to imply here that "Hi-Res" and "MQA" are interchangeable terms. There are many expert critics who regard MQA as anything but true hi-res, as I have mentioned in a previous post. Some even equate the claims of MQA with the snake-oil claims of "magic" exteme high-cost cables.

https://darko.audio/2017/03/highresaudio-com-calls-for-a-deeper-technical-analysis-of-mqa/
http://www.realhd-audio.com/?p=6109
https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/30381-mqa-is-vaporware/?page=306
https://www.reddit.com/r/audiophile/comments/5tvg5k/mqa_is_bad_for_music_heres_why/
https://benchmarkmedia.com/blogs/application_notes/163302855-is-mqa-doa
https://www.soundstagehifi.com/index.php/opinion/954-myriad-questions-about-mqa

Jun 25, 2018 at 1:49 AM Post #1,650 of 6,159
You seem to imply here that "Hi-Res" and "MQA" are interchangeable terms. There are many expert critics who regard MQA as anything but true hi-res, as I have mentioned in a previous post. Some even equate the claims of MQA with the snake-oil claims of "magic" extreme high-cost cables.

I did mention that criticism in my other post linked above. And I have my own frustrations with MQA. But that is how it's marketed, and on a positive note Qobuz far outweighs Tidal in that category... give or take the occasional watermark placed by a label. Sigh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back