USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jul 17, 2018 at 1:17 AM Post #1,666 of 6,188
I’m upsamping to 768,000. Also, does anyone know if it is worth upsampling to this rate?

Thanks!

Personally, I don't see how upsampling any kind of audio file can improve the sound quality: you cannot get out of a sound file any more quality than what is originally in it. Putting it in a higher format container is like putting a more expensive wrapper around a box: the package might look more impressive, but it is the same box inside the package.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #1,667 of 6,188
Personally, I don't see how upsampling any kind of audio file can improve the sound quality: you cannot get out of a sound file any more quality than what is originally in it. Putting it in a higher format container is like putting a more expensive wrapper around a box: the package might look more impressive, but it is the same box inside the package.

Hey MadAudio. When done poorly, yeah, at best, it does nothing, at worst, as Davy was saying, it's going to produce a lot of errors-the more upsampling the more errors. However, there's upsampling and then there's upsampling, it's not all the same.

The general wisdom is that DACs just don't have the horsepower to do it right. However the processing power of a PC/Mac can use more sophisticated algorithms to produce a closer facsimile to Hi Res files. This all is up for debate of course; not everyone is convinced that it works or even that MQA, DSD is better than PCM.

However, in my opinion, it can't simply be dismissed as expensive wrapping. The extreme case is the kind of "interpolation" that Rob Watts is using for his Blu Mk.2 Mscaler. This isn't simply upsampling but it is using the same base 44.1 redbook file a source. If it is just expensive packaging, boy, he sure is swindling people out of a lot of money ($10,588). Personally, I believe in it.

Last edited:
Jul 17, 2018 at 4:52 AM Post #1,668 of 6,188
I've had some time now to go back and forth between streaming Tidal with UAPP and Tidal's own app. Tidal's app does give you full control over your library, offline files, is less glitchy and has a more polished UI. However, UAPP is faster, gives you access to Tidal HiRes files, and most importantly sounds far superior. As someone who uses EQ, the ToneBoosters parametric is an essential addition, and a ridiculous bargain for the price (the mid/side feature is brilliant).

Davy, can I ask you two questions?

I'm trying to figure out how much of the improvements I'm hearing is due to UAPP's direct HiRes driver. I do have it engaged in settings, but I don't know if the DX200 is one of the players that can actually use it. Can you confirm one way or the other?

Also, the error I keep getting is: "audio not received in time, retrying." Is there a setting I can adjust to improve this. I've tried increasing the buffer size in the HiRes and USB tweaks menu. Am I on the right track or is that a waste?

Thanks!

It's a real mystery to me why some people get that 'audio not received in time' message and not have problems with the Tidal app. Changing the HiRes buffer size won't help. Increasing the network buffer size might help, although if it's really a connection speed issue, that won't help in the long run.

I'm unsure about the DX200. The official firmware version should work as it uses USB audio internally (or some weird bridge to a non-USB chip). I think the Lurker firmware should work as well, but not for DSD.

Jul 17, 2018 at 5:09 AM Post #1,669 of 6,188
It's a real mystery to me why some people get that 'audio not received in time' message and not have problems with the Tidal app. Changing the HiRes buffer size won't help. Increasing the network buffer size might help, although if it's really a connection speed issue, that won't help in the long run.

I'm unsure about the DX200. The official firmware version should work as it uses USB audio internally (or some weird bridge to a non-USB chip). I think the Lurker firmware should work as well, but not for DSD.
Have that issue too, if that help I'll try to reproduce it with logcat running and send over the logs

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #1,675 of 6,188
I'm sorry to report that I'm getting more errors on 4.3.6. Now, every time I hit a new track on a playlist I get a "async in progress: abort?" error. This didn't happen with 4.3.5.

I hope the developer knows how much we appreciate his work all the same.

I would still use UAPP over the Tidal app any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Jul 20, 2018 at 5:21 PM Post #1,676 of 6,188
It still comes down to a network issue. I never have the problem here but I'm right next to the WiFi router. The async in progress just means that it's trying to fetch the data, but cannot. I'm starting to think that Tidal prioritizes traffic to their own app and website and if the server gets overloaded, third parties get nothing. Since there are multiple servers over the world (I guess), it may also depend on in which country you are.

Jul 20, 2018 at 6:12 PM Post #1,677 of 6,188
It still comes down to a network issue. I never have the problem here but I'm right next to the WiFi router. The async in progress just means that it's trying to fetch the data, but cannot. I'm starting to think that Tidal prioritizes traffic to their own app and website and if the server gets overloaded, third parties get nothing. Since there are multiple servers over the world (I guess), it may also depend on in which country you are.

I was 5 ft away from router. Did not work. Ok after update. Thank you!

Jul 20, 2018 at 7:19 PM Post #1,679 of 6,188
UAPP is still the best audio player for Android even without a DAC?
With its recent GUI overhaul and tweaks for a variety of specific devices, yes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back