USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 25, 2018 at 8:03 AM Post #1,651 of 6,188
A question for anyone on a mobile/cellular phone plan which offers unlimited data for music streaming- is streaming via Google Music included in this data allowance seeing as you are essentially listening offline (and hence downloading) in UAPP even when you are live streaming? I'm thinking about joining one of these types of plans specifically so I can listen to Google Music through UAPP and I don't want to find that doing it this way will incur normal data usage outside of the free allowance for music streaming. If anyone in Australia using Optus could chime in that would be ideal.
Cheers peers.

You should check the list of services from the plan you intend to subscribe to. All plans may not be equal.

Jun 25, 2018 at 8:23 AM Post #1,653 of 6,188
Google Music is supported by the service but I'm wondering if listening through UAPP might make it somehow ineligible.

Why would UAPP have anything to do with that? They aren't proxy in the stream somehow. You are getting it directly from Google.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:42 AM Post #1,654 of 6,188
Why would UAPP have anything to do with that? They aren't proxy in the stream somehow. You are getting it directly from Google.
There is that, but when I listen through UAPP, songs are downloaded first in their entirety while streaming, effectively making it a download, which isn't eligible in the data free quota. I'd just like to get confirmation from someone using this sort of service before committing to a 24 month plan.

Jun 25, 2018 at 9:56 AM Post #1,655 of 6,188
There is that, but when I listen through UAPP, songs are downloaded first in their entirety while streaming, effectively making it a download, which isn't eligible in the data free quota. I'd just like to get confirmation from someone using this sort of service before committing to a 24 month plan.

Well worst case is to sign up for the plan, test for a day or so, then check your data cap usage. If it doesn't align then you are ok.

You can change plans all the time, it's the duration that may matter. Check the prepaid plans too if that is possible. Those too should have the ability to change at any time.

Jun 25, 2018 at 10:59 AM Post #1,656 of 6,188
Well worst case is to sign up for the plan, test for a day or so, then check your data cap usage. If it doesn't align then you are ok.

You can change plans all the time, it's the duration that may matter. Check the prepaid plans too if that is possible. Those too should have the ability to change at any time.
There are no prepaid plans in Australia with that offer. But I'm thinking worst case I can just listen through the Google Music app, although the sound may not be as good. It's still better than wasting time downloading for offline playback.

Jun 25, 2018 at 2:22 PM Post #1,657 of 6,188

It sounds like you maybe worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. In the states many services advertise unlimited streaming for supported services with data caps over the years. If you download from them, stream it doesnt matter. It is all about DNS destination and/or IP of the source data.

What may happen is they may limit download speeds (throttle) ...but that is a different entirely.

Jun 25, 2018 at 4:45 PM Post #1,658 of 6,188
It sounds like you maybe worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. In the states many services advertise unlimited streaming for supported services with data caps over the years. If you download from them, stream it doesnt matter. It is all about DNS destination and/or IP of the source data.

What may happen is they may limit download speeds (throttle) ...but that is a different entirely.

Yeah I know this, but this isn't my concern. Perhaps you quoted the wrong person. :)

Besides, I tried to be broad with my answer since not everyone lives in the USA.

Effectively, streaming is the same as downloading for this use case.

Jul 15, 2018 at 6:53 PM Post #1,661 of 6,188
I just bought UAPP to stream Tidal on a DX200 with EQ. The free EQ works just fine but I do like parametrics. I’m trying to demo the toneboosters EQ but it doesn’t process the audio. I’ve tried the volume icon to enable it and every control but nothing I try will get it to work, not even for the 60 second trial.

I’m wondering if it has something to do with the sample rate. I’m upsamping to 768,000. Also, does anyone know if it is worth upsampling to this rate?

Thanks!

Jul 16, 2018 at 4:29 AM Post #1,662 of 6,188
I just bought UAPP to stream Tidal on a DX200 with EQ. The free EQ works just fine but I do like parametrics. I’m trying to demo the toneboosters EQ but it doesn’t process the audio. I’ve tried the volume icon to enable it and every control but nothing I try will get it to work, not even for the 60 second trial.

I’m wondering if it has something to do with the sample rate. I’m upsamping to 768,000. Also, does anyone know if it is worth upsampling to this rate?

Thanks!

The max supported sample rate for the TB EQ is 352800Hz. Please note that the higher the difference between the original sample rate and 768000Hz, the more that the quality of audio will suffer, so I wouldn't enable upsampling at all, but that's up to you.

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:15 AM Post #1,663 of 6,188
The max supported sample rate for the TB EQ is 352800Hz. Please note that the higher the difference between the original sample rate and 768000Hz, the more that the quality of audio will suffer, so I wouldn't enable upsampling at all, but that's up to you.

Thank you! I also got your email about the stuttering while using EQ. It was the oversampling. Whew!

I just got a DX200 and so I'm still getting to know it. When the audio was cutting in and out with Tidal + UAPP my first thought was a network issue. I actually rewired my modem to get my router closer. I--really--appreciate you getting back to me so quickly, because the audio dropping was driving me a bit nuts.

So, definitely, I've turned off oversampling, but can I ask you a non-urgent question? I use Audirvana with my desktop rig and it has an option to force upsampling up to DSD on the fly to improve sound quality. Some people use sample rate convertors to resample files from 44.1 to DSD range (e.g., 512) and claim significant sonic benefits. I was hoping that I could do the same with UAPP, but it seems from what you said, I am missing something. Could you elaborate a bit further whenever you have time?

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:24 AM Post #1,664 of 6,188
Thank you! I also got your email about the stuttering while using EQ. It was the oversampling. Whew!

I just got a DX200 and so I'm still getting to know it. When the audio was cutting in and out with Tidal + UAPP my first thought was a network issue. I actually rewired my modem to get my router closer. I--really--appreciate you getting back to me so quickly, because the audio dropping was driving me a bit nuts.

So, definitely, I've turned off oversampling, but can I ask you a non-urgent question? I use Audirvana with my desktop rig and it has an option to force upsampling up to DSD on the fly to improve sound quality. Some people use sample rate convertors to resample files from 44.1 to DSD range (e.g., 512) and claim significant sonic benefits. I was hoping that I could do the same with UAPP, but it seems from what you said, I am missing something. Could you elaborate a bit further whenever you have time?

Well, UAPP cannot convert PCM to DSD. For playing DSD, things might be different since it's a different technique. But perhaps you can imagine that if you convert a PCM 44100Hz stream to PCM 768000Hz, the original audio needs to be altered significantly. Any alteration will get you further from the original. The resampler needs to guess (interpolate) the audio that would have been there when the original audio would have been recorded at 768000Hz. As you can imagine, this gets harder the bigger the difference is between the original and resampled rates.

Jul 17, 2018 at 1:03 AM Post #1,665 of 6,188
I've had some time now to go back and forth between streaming Tidal with UAPP and Tidal's own app. Tidal's app does give you full control over your library, offline files, is less glitchy and has a more polished UI. However, UAPP is faster, gives you access to Tidal HiRes files, and most importantly sounds far superior. As someone who uses EQ, the ToneBoosters parametric is an essential addition, and a ridiculous bargain for the price (the mid/side feature is brilliant).

Davy, can I ask you two questions?

I'm trying to figure out how much of the improvements I'm hearing is due to UAPP's direct HiRes driver. I do have it engaged in settings, but I don't know if the DX200 is one of the players that can actually use it. Can you confirm one way or the other?

Also, the error I keep getting is: "audio not received in time, retrying." Is there a setting I can adjust to improve this. I've tried increasing the buffer size in the HiRes and USB tweaks menu. Am I on the right track or is that a waste?

Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back