USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jun 6, 2018 at 6:24 AM Post #1,606 of 6,175
I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Sound should be better when you connect a DAC directly, but I assume the FiiO's have bugged USB output?

sorry for the above message, my goal is to use mojo and fiio in best possible configuration by accessing tidal through your app

thanks for getting back and I am sorry for the message above

your app rocks best app ever

Jun 6, 2018 at 6:31 AM Post #1,607 of 6,175
My knowledge on bluetooth is about zero. The Android audio system is used anyway when using BT. UAPP will just send audio in 32-bit floating point format with the sample rate according to the 'Android sample rate' selection in the app's settings. I don't expect the HiRes driver using a real HiRes direct path to the BT system.
Thanks Davy,
I changed the Android sample rate in UAPP from 44100 to variable, but there is no difference.
It´s really difficult to find technical discussion about aptX on Android.

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2018 at 2:04 PM Post #1,608 of 6,175
I'm afraid I don't know the answer. Sound should be better when you connect a DAC directly, but I assume the FiiO's have bugged USB output?
Davy--FYI, since FiiO updated the X5 3rd gen to firmware 1.21 I have had a smooth playing experience with UAPP (4.3xx) and Tidal when listening through my Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC. This latest firmware claims to have added USB Audio to the X5. Plays Tidal HiFi and MQA just fine.

Previous firmwares I got dropouts and flickering lights but it looks like they really did something this time. I had had some minor errors when streaming Tidal with the new firmware (which could have been simply router proximity or other streaming issues) but I clicked on USB Tweak 2 in UAPP and it seems to have helped and have left it in place. Loving my X5 and UAPP with the DAC when I want to do the Tidal MQA thing;otherwise I prefer the UAPP Hi Res driver on the FiiO for non-MQA. Thanks again for a great app.

Last edited:
Jun 7, 2018 at 5:00 AM Post #1,609 of 6,175
Davy--FYI, since FiiO updated the X5 3rd gen to firmware 1.21 I have had a smooth playing experience with UAPP (4.3xx) and Tidal when listening through my Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC. This latest firmware claims to have added USB Audio to the X5. Plays Tidal HiFi and MQA just fine.

Previous firmwares I got dropouts and flickering lights but it looks like they really did something this time. I had had some minor errors when streaming Tidal with the new firmware (which could have been simply router proximity or other streaming issues) but I clicked on USB Tweak 2 in UAPP and it seems to have helped and have left it in place. Loving my X5 and UAPP with the DAC when I want to do the Tidal MQA thing;otherwise I prefer the UAPP Hi Res driver on the FiiO for non-MQA. Thanks again for a great app.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Jun 7, 2018 at 10:49 AM Post #1,610 of 6,175
The only true verification is capturing the audio output and doing frequency analysis. The next release of UAPP has support for the
Samsung S9+ (Qualcomm Snapdragon 845). If you have this variant and not the Exynos, all it should take is enabling the 'Direct' flag (and not any others) in the HiRes driver flags.
does it work now with Exynos version? i would like to use my phone as hi res player..i think it does osund very good

Jun 8, 2018 at 2:21 PM Post #1,611 of 6,175
The hardware buttons on my Fiio X5III don't seem to be working despite the option being enabled. I know it worked a few versions ago, so I was wondering if anyone else if having this issue or is it just me?

Jun 17, 2018 at 11:44 AM Post #1,612 of 6,175
does it work now with Exynos version? i would like to use my phone as hi res player..i think it does osund very good

I have just investigated the S9 Exynos version and the good news is that it will definitely play at 192kHz (proven by frequency analysis with RMAA and a sine sweep). However, there is no sign of a Direct mode being active and when you use the Android driver in 'Variable sample rate' mode, it also plays 192kHz (without resampling down and up). So I'm disappointed as well for it not having a direct mode. The Samsung music app shows the same behavior.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:28 PM Post #1,613 of 6,175
I have just investigated the S9 Exynos version and the good news is that it will definitely play at 192kHz (proven by frequency analysis with RMAA and a sine sweep). However, there is no sign of a Direct mode being active and when you use the Android driver in 'Variable sample rate' mode, it also plays 192kHz (without resampling down and up). So I'm disappointed as well for it not having a direct mode. The Samsung music app shows the same behavior.
I am using LG V20.

May I ask if DSD64 native DSD / DSD over DoP support will be added.
Right now I am getting:
Output thread 0xe5105000 type 1 (DIRECT):
Thread name: AudioOut_85
I/O handle: 133
TID: 13054
Standby: no
Sample rate: 176400 Hz
HAL frame count: 7072
HAL format: 0x6 (pcm24)
I guess it means it converts the DSD64 to 176400Hz x 24 bit PCM?

Thank you

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:44 PM Post #1,614 of 6,175
I am using LG V20.

May I ask if DSD64 native DSD / DSD over DoP support will be added.
Right now I am getting:
Output thread 0xe5105000 type 1 (DIRECT):
Thread name: AudioOut_85
I/O handle: 133
TID: 13054
Standby: no
Sample rate: 176400 Hz
HAL frame count: 7072
HAL format: 0x6 (pcm24)
I guess it means it converts the DSD64 to 176400Hz x 24 bit PCM?

Thank you

No, the V20 has no DoP support. Perhaps the chip used has, but that doesn't mean there is something actually using it.

Jun 19, 2018 at 2:59 PM Post #1,615 of 6,175
No, the V20 has no DoP support. Perhaps the chip used has, but that doesn't mean there is something actually using it.
Got it. Thanks!

Two more questions:
1. How do I know from adb output that the PCM is offloading to snapdragon DAC it internal ESS DAC? Thanks!

2. Sometimes I use USB 2.0 external DAC. May I ask what is the best setting for that in the USB tweak section?
Ex:
Tweak for devices with root access on/off
USB tweak 2 on/off
Buffer size
Bus speed
Also, what does tweak for root access do? If I uncheck it, will it reverts to the original system config? Thanks

Thank you

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #1,616 of 6,175
Depends on your external DAC. Each behaves differently

My rule of thumb is, if it works don't touch anything

When using an external DAC, in my case I make sure that the audio driver is Android (to avoid conflict w/ internal DAC). Under USB tweaks I ticked "Use USB DAC", increase buffer to 16384. And under USB Audio, I make sure its Bitperfect (I like it).

I recommend to start w/out options and then experiment one by one and later combine.

Jun 20, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #1,617 of 6,175
Got it. Thanks!

Two more questions:
1. How do I know from adb output that the PCM is offloading to snapdragon DAC it internal ESS DAC? Thanks!

2. Sometimes I use USB 2.0 external DAC. May I ask what is the best setting for that in the USB tweak section?
Ex:
Tweak for devices with root access on/off
USB tweak 2 on/off
Buffer size
Bus speed
Also, what does tweak for root access do? If I uncheck it, will it reverts to the original system config? Thanks

Thank you

1) I don't know. Perhaps some ALSA expert can explain
2) Like mickey says, if it works don't touch anything. However, you should enable USB tweak 2 for USB2 DACs.

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:27 AM Post #1,618 of 6,175

When using an external DAC, in my case I make sure that the audio driver is Android (to avoid conflict w/ internal DAC). Under USB tweaks I ticked "Use USB DAC", increase buffer to 16384. And under USB Audio, I make sure its Bitperfect (I like it).

I recommend to start w/out options and then experiment one by one and later combine.
Can anyone send the values fo parameters for Mojo? Thanks

Jun 20, 2018 at 7:47 AM Post #1,620 of 6,175

Can you tell me which conflict there is? The internal driver setting should have no influence whatsoever on the use of a USB DAC with UAPP's own driver at least. You are also free to choose whatever buffer size you like of course, but please note that fixed frames values do not scale with sample rate. So 16384 is very safe for 44100Hz material (371 milliseconds), but if you are playing 192000Hz files it becomes 85 milliseconds which is on the low side. That's why the millisecond settng is preferred.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back