USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Aug 27, 2021 at 1:08 PM Post #5,011 of 6,156
I'm a fan of the apparent remastering that I've read goes along with the MQA. I guess that is what I am responding to when I prefer the MQA file on Tidal. If I listen to various Etta James songs, for example, I will always prefer the MQA version. To me there is usually no comparison. Is that how this works? Do I have this right?

Well, as you probably know MQA is very controversial and polarizing and you could spend days reading threads emphasizing both sides of the debate. I try to be open minded about it all and hope it all leads to better sounding music, MQA or not. I suspect you may be at least partially correct about the remastering as great masters => great music, whether it's CD quality 16/44.1, high resolution flac/alac or kinda sorta maybe high resolution MQA...

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2021 at 6:48 PM Post #5,014 of 6,156
I am using uapp with Tidal on my dx300 and the music keeps stopping in the middle of a song and says audio data not received in time. This is driving me insane and keeping me from using my lcd x as much because I like some eq with it. Can anyone help me out on what to do or point me in the right direction to get this fixed? It would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Aug 27, 2021 at 7:02 PM Post #5,015 of 6,156
May mot be your problem, but Ibasso dacs, the dc03 anyway, don't work well with Samsung phones. Don't know why.
I never had any problems with the dc03 on my galaxy s21. In fact i think its one of the best dongles out there! When my last one broke (100% user error, it seems USBs dont like being bent into 90° angles) i tried several others. Ovidius B1 (DO NOT BUY), Sonata, Hiby FC3, and A&K PEE51. I returned them all save for the PEE51, which DEF sounds better than the DC03. I just cant decide if it sounds $100 better than the DC03 lol

Aug 27, 2021 at 8:39 PM Post #5,016 of 6,156
I am using uapp with Tidal on my dx300 and the music keeps stopping in the middle of a song and says audio data not received in time. This is driving me insane and keeping me from using my lcd x as much because I like some eq with it. Can anyone help me out on what to do or point me in the right direction to get this fixed? It would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sounds like a potential network issue. Maybe try increasing the network buffer size and or chunk size in UAPP. Is the wifi dropping out when this happens?

Aug 28, 2021 at 5:20 AM Post #5,017 of 6,156
Sounds like a potential network issue. Maybe try increasing the network buffer size and or chunk size in UAPP. Is the wifi dropping out when this happens?
I have tried increasing the buffer and chunk size. It may be a network problem because I have been using the Hotspot from my phone. I'm in between houses and don't have wifi at the moment. I need to find a good wifi connection and try it out.

Aug 29, 2021 at 3:24 AM Post #5,018 of 6,156
Hello, I hope this is the right thread to ask this question. I am using UAPP to reproduce music that is (physically) located on my NAS drive. The NAS runs a Twonky DLNA server, that I am able to connect to via UAPP. Everything works fine except for the (not so) special case of multi-disc albums. I have such albums ripped with the disc number tag filled, track numbers starting from 1 on each disk. The problem is that when browsing the Twonky server with UAPP, tracks get sorted by track number alone. To be clear something like:

Track 1 - CD1
Track 1 - CD2
Track 2 - CD1

This occurs both in the artist/album, album, etc navigation trees as well as in "by folder" mode. I have looked into the menus if there is some option to customize file ordering but nothing seems to work. Even sorting by filename would be ok as I could rename the tracks so that the lexicographic order is the correct playback order.

Foobar2000 for Android sorts correctly multi disc albums; This tells me that it is not necessarily a limitation of the Twonky server itself and it is possible to have the functionality that I need. Foobar2000 lacks proper bitperfect output to USB dacs (to the best of my knowledge) so it's not an option for me.

I have tried Neutron (demo version), same behavior as UAPP. However, Neutron is able to add a network folder (using Samba) to its library, scanning it as if it was a local library, and it has an option to split multi-disc albums in two separate entries. This solves the problem. But I'd rather use UAPP that has a much more pleasant UI. Is there any workaround for UAPP ? Can UAPP handle network folders in a similar was as Neutron ? Looks like UAPP can access network folders but just as a browser, you cannot add folders to the library.

Some other option that I am missing ? Naturally...the simple solution would be to re-tag multi-disc albums as if they were single disc, with a global track number. But I would rather keep the "proper" tag structure, that plays well with my PC based player of choice (MusicBee).

Thanks in advance.

Aug 29, 2021 at 9:56 PM Post #5,019 of 6,156
UAPP and MQA can be confusing as there are different behaviors with USB and Direct Mode (high res DAP) and whether or not the device is a MQA decoder or renderer and "supported" by UAPP. In theory the paid MQA add-on in UAPP is only needed if the device is non-MQA or a MQA Renderer and is NOT needed for full decoders. The add-on performs the first unfold of MQA files in software and sends the stream to the DAC either directly (for DAPs) or via USB. The add-on also authenticates MQA so you get the green or blue dot in the UAPP interface. Only if the device is a MQA renderer, are further unfolds done (MQB). All of this assumes bitperfect in the settings.

For full MQA decoders, the MQA add-on is not needed. The DAC should perform all decoding and rendering as long as the stream is unaltered by UAPP. In this case UAPP doesn't authenticate and you don't get a green or blue dot in the interface.

For "supported" devices, UAPP should display the correct bitrate of the DAC. For USB DACs, UAPP can guess the actual rate (selectable in settings). in other cases UAPP will just display 44.1 or 48 kHz (which is the actual rate of the MQA encoded stream) or 88.2 or 96 kHz (the 1st unfold from the add-on) because it doesn't know what the downstream DAC is actually doing. That does NOT necessarily mean that you aren't getting a full decode. You can use the LED color or device bitrate or MQA indication in the status bar to determine what is happening (if your device has this feature).

It appears that you can disable the MQA add-on by deselecting bitperfect in the settings which can, in some cases, allow for full decoding of MQA at the DAC for "unsupported" devices that are full decoders (i.e. Shanling M6 Pro 21) which are otherwise limited to the first unfold from the add-on. This should change once the device is "supported".

Note that I believe all of the above information is correct based on my experiences with several devices. If someone knows better, please jump in.
thanks for the information. good day, sir...

Aug 31, 2021 at 5:33 AM Post #5,020 of 6,156
Yes!

In UAPP, start UPnP Renderer, which will make it a UPnP renderer and library.

Then on your iOS device, install mConnect (or other UPnP control point). It should see the UAPP UPnP Renderer and let you choose it as destination. You can then play music EITHER stored locally on the mConnect device OR streamed from Tidal or Qobuz, directly on the UAPP device. You log into Tidal/Qobuz in mConnect and it pulls the stream from the streaming service and passes it to the UAPP UPnP renderer.

You can also play files stored on the UAPP device by accessing the UAPP Library in mConnect, in which case UAPP picks up that it's playing a local file and avoids receiving it over the network.

I don't know about iOS, but on Android there are many UPnP control point apps, of which BubbleUPnP is the most famous and the most well developed. It has a slightly unwieldy UI, because it has SO MUCH functionality. But it can be trimmed down to exactly what you need. It's a very powerful app.

But for streaming from Tidal, mConnect has the advantage of full MQA support, whereas BubbleUPnP only supports the HiFi layer (max 16/44). Any HiRes Master tracks are down-sampled and truncated to 16/44 by Tidal, the same as if you select HiFi Quality in the Tidal app.

Interestingly, that still works for 16/44 MQA files, although they won't have any origami to unfold. Other MQA tracks with 44KHz base sample rate (such as the 2L ones) will be truncated to 16-bit, but not re-sampled, and STILL authenticate on an MQA DAC. The article linked below describes how that is possible. Of course much information is still lost in that truncation.

https://bobtalks.co.uk/blog/science-mqa/16b-mqa-what-is-it/#

For users who don't care about MQA, I recommend BubbleUPnP over mConnect. In addition to 50X as many features, Bubble has a very responsive Dev, whereas mConnect have not responded to anything I wrote, despite the fact that I bought their app.
This is absolutely BRILLIANT! Thanks so much for this gem

Aug 31, 2021 at 1:50 PM Post #5,021 of 6,156
Can anyone tell me something else besides uapp? I'm sick of uapp pausing in the middle of a song. I can't seem to get any help on how to fix this even though I have emailed them about the problem. I'm using ibasso dx300 with Tidal and uapp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm tired of it pausing and saying audio data not received in time.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:08 PM Post #5,022 of 6,156
Can anyone tell me something else besides uapp? I'm sick of uapp pausing in the middle of a song. I can't seem to get any help on how to fix this even though I have emailed them about the problem. I'm using ibasso dx300 with Tidal and uapp. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm tired of it pausing and saying audio data not received in time.

I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. The beta version and some personal stuff is taking up my time. I have sent a reply now, but it's basically the network speed being too slow or interrupted by Android battery 'optimisation'.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:19 PM Post #5,023 of 6,156
I'm sorry I didn't reply earlier. The beta version and some personal stuff is taking up my time. I have sent a reply now, but it's basically the network speed being too slow or interrupted by Android battery 'optimisation'.
I understand. Thanks for the reply. I have disabled battery optimisation already. Maybe it's the network speed because I have no problem with Tidal.

Aug 31, 2021 at 2:25 PM Post #5,024 of 6,156
I understand. Thanks for the reply. I have disabled battery optimisation already. Maybe it's the network speed because I have no problem with Tidal.

If you send the log file I can perhaps tell more. Audio data really doesn't take a lot of bandwidth. 192kHz@24-bit is 1.1MB/sec PCM. With FLAC that would be half, so you only need a consistent 0.6MB/sec connection. Now that is raw data, so with overhead and the data coming in in chunks, a 4MB/sec connection should be sufficient.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back