USB Audio Player PRO (UAPP): 24- and 32-bit playback, ubiquitous USB audio support for Android
Jul 27, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #4,006 of 6,178
that's very interesting then @bflat - I'd ask the dev if he set a pre gain override. What about the toneboosters pregain slider. Does that reflect the drop in gain? Maybe it's as simple as sliding that back up?

Issue resolved

OK, thanks to @buonassi for the suggestions. For whatever reason, some of my PEQ presents dropped to -20 output level. I didn't even know those were adjustable so you can double tap the output level in the upper left corner of the graph. As suggested, subtract output by the same or slight more than your highest adjustment. For example, if your highest filter is +6 dB, set output level to at least -6 but would suggest -8 to make sure no clipping. Clearly, the -20 dB phantom change is too much. Your output level will save with each PEQ preset so you will need to reset for each preset.

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #4,007 of 6,178
Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020 at 2:18 PM Post #4,009 of 6,178
I have just started using UAPP as a means of playing Tidal MQA on an Android device. I picked up this forum when looking for a query on offline mode. Am I right in thinking that whilst connected via wifi or mobile data the UAPP will happily play Tidal from the downloaded content, and not use wifi or data for playback, but as soon as you go offline it stops playing altogether even though it does not need to stream for playback. This seems crazy !

Jul 28, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #4,010 of 6,178
I have just started using UAPP as a means of playing Tidal MQA on an Android device. I picked up this forum when looking for a query on offline mode. Am I right in thinking that whilst connected via wifi or mobile data the UAPP will happily play Tidal from the downloaded content, and not use wifi or data for playback, but as soon as you go offline it stops playing altogether even though it does not need to stream for playback. This seems crazy !
No third party apps support downloads for Tidal; only streaming. It's part of the contract with record labels. If you want downloads, you're limited to the native Tidal app.

Jul 29, 2020 at 3:54 AM Post #4,012 of 6,178
So that means I can only listen to Tidal masters by streaming. That's ridiculous, that's a ton of data !

This is correct. Or via the 'Downloaded' section of the TIDAL app, assuming you have set the download quality to 'Master', which is what I do before making the playlist available offline. This is a major negative aspect of TIDAL (and Qobuz) in that third-party apps cannot access the downloaded (offline) content.

Jul 29, 2020 at 5:55 AM Post #4,013 of 6,178
I have downloaded as Master, but cannot play MQA from downloaded without the UAPP app, the HipDac cannot render the MQA without the UAPP software. Its a vicious circle. I am finding a lot of these in computer music, drives me mad. Maybe I would be better off digging out my Mini Disk !! I am starting to think that Hi res music OTG just doesn't work, maybe if i go back to Flac files then they would work ok thru UAPP and the HipDac But then I have to pay Tidal and still buy music on Flac. Another vicious circle. Why cant this lot just get together and give us decent sound by a process that works straight out of the tin.... it really shouldn't be that hard.

Jul 29, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #4,014 of 6,178
I have downloaded as Master, but cannot play MQA from downloaded without the UAPP app, the HipDac cannot render the MQA without the UAPP software. Its a vicious circle. I am finding a lot of these in computer music, drives me mad. Maybe I would be better off digging out my Mini Disk !! I am starting to think that Hi res music OTG just doesn't work, maybe if i go back to Flac files then they would work ok thru UAPP and the HipDac But then I have to pay Tidal and still buy music on Flac. Another vicious circle. Why cant this lot just get together and give us decent sound by a process that works straight out of the tin.... it really shouldn't be that hard.

This is why I'm slowly going back to CD quality music and buying CDs to own my music, and also buying (lossless) FLAC from digital download sites for the songs I like the most. With TIDAL and Qobuz you're limited to using their respective apps for offline playback. I have bought a lot of CDs over the last year. Streaming has a lot of limitations for portable listening. Once purchased, you have the music forever and CD-quality is as good as you would need for portable listening.

Jul 29, 2020 at 9:49 AM Post #4,015 of 6,178
You could be right there Taz, but it seems such a shame. My commute is my most frequent chance to listen to music and it would be nice to be able to do it at the best quality I can. Having used Tidal for a year or so it is my only digital source for a lot of new music. So either I pay out for buying what I need as Flac, settling for CD quality or spending out on unlimited data deals.
I guess I can use the fact that it seems to play MQA from downloaded as long as it has a wifi connection, even if it doesn't actually use wifi to stream, as a chance at least try out MQA compared to CD and see if I think it is worth the extra expense.
This industry really needs to sort itself out and standardise. But then it wouldn't make as much money and that's what its all about. Thankfully my prime source at home is vinyl and has none of these needless issues.

Jul 29, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #4,017 of 6,178
Jul 29, 2020 at 11:46 AM Post #4,018 of 6,178
This is because of Android. Tidal on iOS could pass through the MQA on downloads to your Hipdac with the camera connection kit.
You could pick up a used iPhone SE for like $80-100 to use as a transport.

Edit: depending on how much you download though, that might not be enough storage. HiBy R3 Pro would be a nice transport ($199 new).

Last edited:
Aug 2, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #4,019 of 6,178
I use UAPP to source music to the Schiit Bifrost 2 and whenever I play a song with a different bitrate as the previous song, the Bifrost seems to restart and I no longer hear anything playing. Wondering if this happens to anyone else with any other DACs. Right now I'm not sure if it's the DAC or the app at fault. I have to resort to restarting the app completely in order to keep playing.

Aug 3, 2020 at 4:43 AM Post #4,020 of 6,178
Hi All, I'm using UAPP today to play music stored on a MoodeAudio server (DLNA) I can add individual tracks to the playlist OK.

But I don't have a "three dots" option next to album folders so I can't add whole albums only single tracks, can anybody help please or is this UI feature broken at the moment.

My Android devices are LG V30 and Cayin N6ii

Users who are viewing this thread

Back