Upgrade from M-50 and Introduction of New Member Here!
Sep 5, 2012 at 10:23 PM Post #16 of 27
Quote:
I recently heard both the HE-400 and Mad Dogs. I think they're both really great.

Perhaps you could go into a bit of detail? Quite interested myself.

Quote:

So I think that settles to cross out the HE-300 from my suggestion list. Will look into Q701 more in depth though, and also have been eyeing some K550 since they do not need amping.

You'd be surprised at how many headphones don't *need* an amp. Most will benefit from one though. Interpreting the margin of improvement varies from user to user.

Sep 5, 2012 at 10:24 PM Post #17 of 27
Quote:
Funny, as Mad Dogs impedance are low but still need amping? Care to elaborate?

This is how I understand it from what I've read, but I'm not an expert or know precisely what I'm talking about so don't quote me, haha. Anyone please correct me if I am wrong. Also, note that I'm talking theoretically.

When trying to determine how hard a headphone is to drive, impedance is a factor, but it's not the sole or determining factor. The two specs you want to look for are impedance (expressed in ohms) and sensitivity (usually expressed in dB/mW or sometimes dB/V).

Now, when looking at the specs for the amp (or portable player etc) you will be using, you want to look at its specifications and look at its power output. For example, it might say something like "30mW @50ohms, 15mW @150ohms." This lets you know that if you have 50ohm headphones plugged in (although headphone impedance can vary at different frequencies so this is not entirely accurate), the amp can deliver about 30mW of power.

Ok, so we know how much power our amp has. The next question is, how much power do my headphones need? This is where sensitivity comes in. Take the MadDogs for example. They have a sensitivity of 92dB/mW (that is, with 1mW of power they will play at a volume of 92dB). To hit peaks of say 100-105dB while playing music, this means they'd need something like 6.3-20mW. (I got these numbers by using this formula.)

So let's say we want to pair the MadDogs with our hypothetical amp from above. The MadDogs have an impedance of 50ohms (in this case, being orthos, their impedance actually stays pretty much flat across the frequency spectrum), and we know that our amp can deliver 30mW @50ohms. The MadDogs only need 6.3-20mW to hit peaks of 100-105dB, so we know that our amp should be able to drive them to these levels (at what amounts of distortion though may be unsure). However, if we wanted extra headroom and the ability to hit peaks of say 110dB, we would need at least 63mW. In other words our amp wouldn't be able to cut it in that case.

tl;dr
It's probably possible to drive the MadDogs from a decently powerful portable device, just not to super loud levels or with highly dynamic music. An amp isn't necessarily strictly needed, but not at all a bad idea. Your Cmoy should be enough for the MadDogs.

Also, IMO stay away from the FA-003/HM5/etc. My speculation is that it would merely be a side-grade or even a downgrade. 
tongue.gif

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:18 AM Post #18 of 27
Quote:
Perhaps you could go into a bit of detail? Quite interested myself.

+1 , would like to know also with a more in-depth comparison

Also manveru, thanks for the explanation and the examples. Now I know that orthos are more hard to drive than regular dynamic HPs.Will surely look into sensitivity when I buy an amp in the future.

Yes, surely the HM5/FA-003 is not in my list since it would be a sidegrade/downgrade personally for me since I've actually auditioned those cans before (no offense to Fischer/Brainwavz followers). I also ditched the 840 since it wouldn't be a huge jump upgrade from the M-50 imo.

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:53 AM Post #19 of 27
Quote:
Also manveru, thanks for the explanation and the examples. Now I know that orthos are more hard to drive than regular dynamic HPs.Will surely look into sensitivity when I buy an amp in the future.

I should add, I don't think that's quite everything there is to it, but hopefully it's enough for one to get a rough idea of things. Many manufacturers don't post very detailed specs, sometimes none at all. Aside from getting advice based off reports of users' personal experiences, if you're lucky power output of an amp at 1 or 2 impedances and the impedance/sensitivity of the headphones is often all you've got to work with when speculating about pairing things together, so...

Sep 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM Post #20 of 27
Quote:

+1 , would like to know also with a more in-depth comparison

It's been a little while now, so my memory is little weary on both. I thought the HE-400 sounded like a little HE-6, with more bass. A little more emphasis on that lower end. Soundstage was really wide and open.

The T50rp sound similar, but a little less detailed. The soundstage was a little bit clearer than the HE-400, but only to a certain extent. It was like the soundstage was crammed within a small room. Within the room it was clear, but beyond that felt like it was on the wall. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #22 of 27
Long time since I updated this thread, bad news is that I won't likely get a HE-400 due to limitations of where I live. If I ship them from outside the price could swell up to $500, darn it...
frown.gif

So I guess I will try to wait for the Mad Dogs while still opening the doors for D2K.

Out of curiosity, does the HD-650 can cover my needs? I bet I would need one strong amp to drive them...

Sep 12, 2012 at 4:27 AM Post #23 of 27
+1 HE-400 ( if budget allows )
+1 DT 880

there's a slight possibility that you'll regret buying anyone of the list except the DT880 (250o ohm ), they're great all-rounder and has a great neutrality and detail retrieval, they even compete in revealing detail with my unamped Audeze LCD-2.

Sep 12, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #24 of 27
Quote:
Long time since I updated this thread, bad news is that I won't likely get a HE-400 due to limitations of where I live. If I ship them from outside the price could swell up to $500, darn it...
frown.gif

So I guess I will try to wait for the Mad Dogs while still opening the doors for D2K.

Out of curiosity, does the HD-650 can cover my needs? I bet I would need one strong amp to drive them...

Why does the price swell, shipping or tax? 

The HD650 would, and you could listen to them from a Cmoy, but they'd be a little dull overall. 

Sep 12, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #25 of 27
Quote:
+1 HE-400 ( if budget allows )
+1 DT 880

there's a slight possibility that you'll regret buying anyone of the list except the DT880 (250o ohm ), they're great all-rounder and has a great neutrality and detail retrieval, they even compete in revealing detail with my unamped Audeze LCD-2.

Why do you think I would probably regret buying other than DT880 MEDO?
That's also a bold statement to compare to the LCD-2, you must rate them pretty high...

Quote:

Why does the price swell, shipping or tax? 

The HD650 would, and you could listen to them from a Cmoy, but they'd be a little dull overall. 

Both, after shipping it is close to $500 and it will further increase from tax about 10-25% when it arrives here. Crazy loads of additional money . There is another option to wait for these can to be sold through audio stores but so far,I haven't found any (only found the Beats in abundance).

I thought so, I think it would be wise if I could just buy an amp first to widen my options of buying headphones.

Sep 17, 2012 at 1:11 PM Post #26 of 27
Quote:

Why do you think I would probably regret buying other than DT880 MEDO?
That's also a bold statement to compare to the LCD-2, you must rate them pretty high...

just to make it simple, the DT880 are very neutral unlike my LCD-2s which is more natural and have a life-like sound. but what's interesting about them is that i had to go up to 1$k to find a better sound and consider it an upgrade and more than that they have the most impressing detail retrieval under 500$ headphones. i think what made me unimpressed with the T1 is the DT880 sound really close to them out of a mid-fi amp like the m-stage except for the sound stage.

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #27 of 27
Okay guys, just want to inform that I have successfully bought a Hifiman HE-400!
biggrin.gif

Through all hardships and trials... I managed to get it and at a quite good price also , $392 that was a huge relief for me personally.
Thanks for all the inputs you guys gave me and I just don't want the thread I made to be left up in the air.

So cheers you guys
beerchug.gif

(Maybe I'll start appearing in the HE-400 from now, but gotta do some fun listening to my new babies first!
L3000.gif
)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back