ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
May 29, 2012 at 3:23 AM Post #916 of 2,431
Got mine few days ago from one of our fellow head-fiers. I am quite familiar with the Ultrasone sound signature from owning their HFI series and had few auditions of ED-9 & ED-8. Never liked the signature before and although the ED-8s were good I thought they had too much of bass and high quality metallic sheen kind of a treble which had put some of the vocals as robotic not human. Until now...

These are different, mostly neutral and rich tonal balance with very nice mids (Unlike the rest of the Ultrasones although ED-8s are comparable).

Would try and do a full length review comparing these to Z1000s for the crown of best closed back full-size portable along with the references from HE-5LE (Neutral Planars I've come across).

May 29, 2012 at 4:50 AM Post #917 of 2,431
Quote:
Got mine few days ago from one of our fellow head-fiers. I am quite familiar with the Ultrasone sound signature from owning their HFI series and had few auditions of ED-9 & ED-8. Never liked the signature before and although the ED-8s were good I thought they had too much of bass and high quality metallic sheen kind of a treble which had put some of the vocals as robotic not human. Until now...

These are different, mostly neutral and rich tonal balance with very nice mids (Unlike the rest of the Ultrasones although ED-8s are comparable).

Would try and do a full length review comparing these to Z1000s for the crown of best closed back full-size portable along with the references from HE-5LE (Neutral Planars I've come across).

Ah a fellow Midlander 
biggrin.gif

Looking forward to your impressions.

May 29, 2012 at 9:39 AM Post #918 of 2,431
Arrrghhh still waiting for mine to arrive!!! :frowning2:

Please keep up posting impressions, all are welcomed (Even if I suffer a bit!! hahaha :wink:)

May 30, 2012 at 4:51 PM Post #920 of 2,431
Has anyone compared the Signature Pro to the PSB M4U 2? 

I have actually heard both.  The PSBs are amazing for the price (1/3 of the Sig Pros) and have a similar quality and sound signature.  They are about the same size as the Edition 8.  I think the Signature Pro has more powerful bass with more refinement and punch and is a little brighter, but the PSB seems to hold up well.  I was hoping to hear from some others to see if my brief listening experience is somewhat accurate since I listened on separate occasions, not side-by-side.

May 30, 2012 at 5:07 PM Post #921 of 2,431
How much sound do these leak out? I'm looking for something to use in the office and do not want to disturb my officemate. I have pretty much been limited to using IEMs as the AT's and Denon's I have tried out have leaked a little bit too much sound at the levels (stupid loud) I listen too.

May 30, 2012 at 5:50 PM Post #922 of 2,431
I'm not a big fan of the M4U 2 to be honest... And we've only sold one pair since we've been carrying them in our store... I think you can still get better performance around 250-300 over the PSB speakers headphone
Quote:
Has anyone compared the Signature Pro to the PSB M4U 2? 

I have actually heard both.  The PSBs are amazing for the price (1/3 of the Sig Pros) and have a similar quality and sound signature.  They are about the same size as the Edition 8.  I think the Signature Pro has more powerful bass with more refinement and punch and is a little brighter, but the PSB seems to hold up well.  I was hoping to hear from some others to see if my brief listening experience is somewhat accurate since I listened on separate occasions, not side-by-side.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
May 30, 2012 at 5:59 PM Post #923 of 2,431
Quote:
How much sound do these leak out? I'm looking for something to use in the office and do not want to disturb my officemate. I have pretty much been limited to using IEMs as the AT's and Denon's I have tried out have leaked a little bit too much sound at the levels (stupid loud) I listen too.

Since they are closed and seal well, leakage won't be terrible, but at loud volumes it is still there.  I am waiting for the V-Moda M-100 which seems to have cushy earpads that should have a superior seal to reduce leakage.

May 30, 2012 at 7:53 PM Post #924 of 2,431
Pulled the trigger on these after months of reading reviews on the top-tier headphones. Hopefully will be here on Friday and post some pics/impressions.

Also, any recommendation on a DAC/Amp to pair with these headphones (~$200)? If it helps, I have an iMac 27in (2010) and I would prefer to use the optical out instead of USB. Thanks

Jun 5, 2012 at 12:54 AM Post #925 of 2,431
Finally got a chance to demo the Edition 8's at the audio show in Newport.. I didnt think they sounded too similar to the signature pros (albeit both share that Ultrasone sound character - at different levels), the treble was definitely brighter on the Ed8, couldn't tell if the bass had more impact with the tracks I played. They did have more of an initial wow-nice sounding factor than the Signature Pros, but I would take the SP over the Ed8 at a comparable price point.

Jun 5, 2012 at 1:04 AM Post #926 of 2,431
Quote:
Pulled the trigger on these after months of reading reviews on the top-tier headphones. Hopefully will be here on Friday and post some pics/impressions.

Also, any recommendation on a DAC/Amp to pair with these headphones (~$200)? If it helps, I have an iMac 27in (2010) and I would prefer to use the optical out instead of USB. Thanks

Any updates? :)

Have you looked at the FiiO products? My E9 is a fine amp. The new E17 DAC takes optical.

Jun 5, 2012 at 2:37 AM Post #927 of 2,431
I'm curious as to what any Edition 9 owners think of the Signature Pro, preferably those who can audition them side-by-side. I'm finding the Edition 9 has more bass quantity, but at times the difference between the two seems minimal, while other times it seems more extensive. Considering these may be the same drivers, that isn't too surprising. However I'd like other opinions.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:54 AM Post #929 of 2,431
Is the stock SP cable 3 or 4 cores?

Just wondering how easy it would be to balance.

Jun 5, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #930 of 2,431
Quote:
Is the stock SP cable 3 or 4 cores?

Just wondering how easy it would be to balance.

You'll have to do it straight from the driver end :-

http://www.head-fi.org/t/570388/ultrasone-new-announced-headphone-signature-pro/795#post_8368409

Users who are viewing this thread

Back