ULTRASONE NEW ANNOUNCED HEADPHONE Signature Pro
Oct 3, 2012 at 6:15 AM Post #1,336 of 2,431
Quote:
Straight from Tyll:

"It's probably worth you having a listen at an Apple store, John. I'm still a bit stunned, and to be truthful, am looking forward to other's impressions. I'd prefer them over the Ed8, SigPro, and prolly the ATs (they tend to be a little bright to me). TP and Lawton D7000 are probably better. 
The thing to me is these seem so nicely balanced and clean...not as resolving as I'd like, though."

--> on the Logitech UE6000 and UE9000

What do you guys think?

:p

these are noise cancelling...

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #1,337 of 2,431
Quote:

2. dont use portable system/amp to run-in sig pro
    it is easy to get great sound on portable system for sig pro, but the sig pro requires huge power to have sufficient burning
    at least buy a >$100 desktop amp to run it (like O2)

didn't know that but i always use all my headphones on my home amps.  even the lowly dt231 or dtx900 or hfi780 :)

when i first got my sig pro, i use the headphones both on the go and at home.  so i have no idea.

Oct 3, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #1,338 of 2,431
Tyll does say the UE is not as resolving.  One of the Sig Pros stand out features for me are that they are so incredibly detailed and transparent. I don't believe a $200 headphone can approach that level of detail.  If it can, then what is the point of summit-fi?

Not withstanding, if other reviews along the line of Tyll's pour in, I will need to add these to my short list.  It sounds like they are superior to Momentum with more authoritative bass at half the price.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:40 AM Post #1,339 of 2,431
OK, Sig Pros don't have the best price-to-perfomance ratio at the price of new ones, but would it be competitive at the price of used? I have an opportunity to buy it for about 800$ in mint condition. I now have HE-500, but I want to use one pair at home and at work, so would be Sig Pros definitely downgrade or just sidegrade from hifimans? I listen rock/metal mostly, but appreciate vocal jazz and classics as well. My gear is schiit stack - Bifrost + Asgard.

Oct 16, 2012 at 5:33 AM Post #1,340 of 2,431
Quote:
OK, Sig Pros don't have the best price-to-perfomance ratio at the price of new ones, but would it be competitive at the price of used? I have an opportunity to buy it for about 800$ in mint condition. I now have HE-500, but I want to use one pair at home and at work, so would be Sig Pros definitely downgrade or just sidegrade from hifimans? I listen rock/metal mostly, but appreciate vocal jazz and classics as well. My gear is schiit stack - Bifrost + Asgard.

I wonder Asgard got enough current to drive Sig Pro
also, you may check rmcaudio out for good price (seems to be 850 few months ago)

haven't heard of the 500, couldn't give you their difference, but Sig Pro is kinda good at rock/metal
but if you want deep deep bass, you may have a look on the new Sig DJ

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:35 AM Post #1,342 of 2,431
Quote:
Which would be a better bet for portable use, SP or ED8 ? Anticipating the review of Signature Dj as well to compare with SP. 

I had the Ed8 for 9 months and wanted to upgrade to the SP as I preferred the SP's SQ. IMHO, the Ed8 was smaller for portable use but it's also very flashy. The SP has a more "down to earth" low-profile kind of look and it's cups folds/flips to flatten.

Oct 16, 2012 at 7:54 AM Post #1,343 of 2,431
I was fortunate enough to obtain an early production run V-Moda M-100.  IMHO, wait for the M-100, save $550 and enjoy the same, if not superior, sound quality across the range, perhaps even smoother highs, punchier lows and superior soundstage to S-logic.  The only area where I find Sig Pro superior is comfort related to the earpads.

Oct 16, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #1,344 of 2,431
Quote:
I wonder Asgard got enough current to drive Sig Pro
also, you may check rmcaudio out for good price (seems to be 850 few months ago)

Sig Pros are not hard to drive at all!
Heck, I've used it with everything from my Lehman BCL, to my Icon HDP, c421, and even from the HiSound Studio V and the sound reproduction seems great in all of them (the Icon HDP and the amp section from the Studio V are a bit bright though,...)

So basically, your Asgard is quite enough and you'll probably be able to drive them to ear-bleeding levels...

@Remilio

Haven't tried the HE-500s (though I wanna!) so I can't offer any real impressions/differences. I've read that the HE500s are a bit dark? Well, the Sig Pros have a 'tint' of warmness to their sound (when I directly compare them to other headphones I have) but they are actually to my ears quite "neutral". As I've said a couple of times, being an Ultrasone headphone, I expected a bunch of bass, a bunch of treble, recessed mids and was pleasantly surprised when I got them. It's a very capable headphone and probably the best I have in terms of musicality, fun, sturdiness, etc. It could be a bit uncomfortable for long periods of times though... other than that, quite good.

Regarding Craigster comments to waiting until December for the V-Modas M-100s... well, I'm not sure about that, I'm impatient!! LOL

I did get a chance to buy the m100s from someone on the boards, so I'll maybe chime in with my views...

Finally, $800 used... as someone mentioned, you can get them NEW from $850 through RMCaudio ... If I was going to sell them, I'd do the right thing and sell them for LESS than $800, especially to fellow head-fi'ers...

Thanks.

Oct 16, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #1,346 of 2,431
Quote:

Sig Pros are not hard to drive at all!
Heck, I've used it with everything from my Lehman BCL, to my Icon HDP, c421, and even from the HiSound Studio V and the sound reproduction seems great in all of them (the Icon HDP and the amp section from the Studio V are a bit bright though,...)

So basically, your Asgard is quite enough and you'll probably be able to drive them to ear-bleeding levels...

@Remilio

Haven't tried the HE-500s (though I wanna!) so I can't offer any real impressions/differences. I've read that the HE500s are a bit dark? Well, the Sig Pros have a 'tint' of warmness to their sound (when I directly compare them to other headphones I have) but they are actually to my ears quite "neutral". As I've said a couple of times, being an Ultrasone headphone, I expected a bunch of bass, a bunch of treble, recessed mids and was pleasantly surprised when I got them. It's a very capable headphone and probably the best I have in terms of musicality, fun, sturdiness, etc. It could be a bit uncomfortable for long periods of times though... other than that, quite good.

Regarding Craigster comments to waiting until December for the V-Modas M-100s... well, I'm not sure about that, I'm impatient!! LOL

I did get a chance to buy the m100s from someone on the boards, so I'll maybe chime in with my views...

Finally, $800 used... as someone mentioned, you can get them NEW from $850 through RMCaudio ... If I was going to sell them, I'd do the right thing and sell them for LESS than $800, especially to fellow head-fi'ers...

Thanks.

gelocks,
I envy your headphone budget and look forward to your review on every new headphone the day they come out, especially the Sig DJ.

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:14 PM Post #1,347 of 2,431
Quote:
gelocks,
I envy your headphone budget and look forward to your review on every new headphone the day they come out, especially the Sig DJ.

Trust me... DON'T ENVY IT! I'm actually doing this (i.e. buying a bunch of headphones I want right now) because I want to finally select which ones I'm going to stick with until they break! Definitely plan on selling the others I don't use or will not use. Heck, the D5000s as of this moment are on the chopping block. So basically, this is just temporary insanity... I will regain my senses and not spend this much next time! :wink:

Oct 16, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #1,348 of 2,431
Quote:

Trust me... DON'T ENVY IT! I'm actually doing this (i.e. buying a bunch of headphones I want right now) because I want to finally select which ones I'm going to stick with until they break! Definitely plan on selling the others I don't use or will not use. Heck, the D5000s as of this moment are on the chopping block. So basically, this is just temporary insanity... I will regain my senses and not spend this much next time! :wink:

One last can for your list.....
900x900px-LL-3108339a_vtruerender_web_300x300_1.jpeg

Oct 16, 2012 at 6:14 PM Post #1,349 of 2,431
I have been reading a lot over at the Edition 8 thread and this one because am wanting a very awesome closed headphone. Have decided when I have enough money will be getting the Edition 8s because of much better soundstage. From what I have read and seen in a pic the Edition 8 driver is mounted more forward to the front and the Signature Pros driver is mounted in the 6 o'clock position. I wonder if this 6 o'clock position is the reason why the Signature Pro has such a small sound stage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back