Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Feb 3, 2012 at 10:13 PM Post #5,866 of 9,690
I'm rediscovering the TF10s two years after I sold them. My work IEMs (Nufore NE-8) developed a very bad channel imbalance issue last week, so I picked up a pair on the F/S forums. I originally had a hard time with the fit and comfort. This time, I found a set of Comply's lying around from my (now sold) IE8s and tried them. All I can say is, wow, the comfort is pretty darn good with these eartips.

As well, I remember the treble as being slightly too tizzy for my liking...but the complies do a good job there too. Overall great IEMs and really right up there with the SE530/535s, IE8s, W3/4. But like Eric, I do still slightly prefer the Westone 4s...still my favourite universal IEMs. But these are right up there...no doubt.

Feb 3, 2012 at 10:44 PM Post #5,867 of 9,690

Quote:
I'm rediscovering the TF10s two years after I sold them. My work IEMs (Nufore NE-8) developed a very bad channel imbalance issue last week, so I picked up a pair on the F/S forums. I originally had a hard time with the fit and comfort. This time, I found a set of Comply's lying around from my (now sold) IE8s and tried them. All I can say is, wow, the comfort is pretty darn good with these eartips.

As well, I remember the treble as being slightly too tizzy for my liking...but the complies do a good job there too. Overall great IEMs and really right up there with the SE530/535s, IE8s, W3/4. But like Eric, I do still slightly prefer the Westone 4s...still my favourite universal IEMs. But these are right up there...no doubt.

X2

Feb 4, 2012 at 12:53 AM Post #5,868 of 9,690
After receiving my Atrio MG7's my TF10's are no longer being used. The bass on the Atrio's are much more natural and pleasant sounding. The mids are a little better and the treble is not as ear piercing. The TF10s were a long time favourite of mine but now it seems after being on the market for over 5 years the TF10s are no longer a proper contender for a top tier universal iem compared to the newer top tier universals.

Feb 4, 2012 at 2:56 AM Post #5,869 of 9,690
LOL... Well goodvibes, I always trust my ears before I trust anyone else's opinions, bars and graphs. I see if the product is going to be in the general sound signature I enjoy (I know I like my sound a bit more on the warm than cold side), and then I take it from there....

Don't understand the hostility toward my findings, I have both listened and made objective findings. My case is different though as the ES cable i used did the opposite since it decreased impedance making it a bit brighter with a bit more subbass. The graphs do reflect what you hear as I had mentioned before and i heard the same coming from the ES cable to stock.

We all rely on someone else's opinions to some extent, otherwise we wouldn't have overrated products here on headfi. Graphs are useless to those without the knowledge and understanding of their relation to actual listening but should be respected in certain areas such as these (impedance changes) as they are completely objective here. 

Changes are definitely there with the Fiio cable with the most prominent change in the treble. Whether the changes are big or positive are for the user to decide, ClieOS wasn't as optimistic about the changes, but Eric sees it as a pretty big leap. A good choice if you want to warm up the TF10 nevertheless. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 11:34 AM Post #5,870 of 9,690

Inks, I am not showing any hostility whatsoever. I really wish people wouldn't try to read the emotions of others through printed words. I rather you just ask how did I mean for my comments to be taken. 
beerchug.gif

With that stated, I do feel that some in our community are too pushy in making it seem like they are the absolute gospel in describing the sound signature of a product, and whether or not it's worthy to be deemed top tier, mid-tier or garbage. Some think that if one had reviewed hundreds of IEMs then that person must know what is the best for the masses in the IEM community. But I don't buy into that. The person who has listened to hundreds of IEMs may appreciate a totally different sound signature than I do; he or she may listen for certain qualities and quantities in sound that I don't use as a quantifying factor - which would negate that person's positive or negative review for me. 

That's why I always harp on the fact that you have listen for yourself. I know this is impossible for many of us to do (even I know I will never hear the AKG k3003 as long as it retails for over $1,500, but I'm curious about it). To your point about us all relying on someone's opinion to some extent, I do agree with you. But for me I rely on someone's opinion in describing mainly what is the IEM's sound signature is, in general (i.e. is it warm, very recessed mids, no bass, analytical, cold, etc.). I never rely on an head-fiers opinion as to whether a product sounds good or not (well unless it's the opinions of a few members that I know we enjoy the same sound signatures, such as FlySweep, james444, cn11,   shotgunshane and a few others). And even then, many of those guys will offer to let me hear an IEM I'm really interested in - if they have it -before suggesting I buy it. Or we will have a series of long inbox conversations about a particular product and its strengths and weaknesses before I will even consider it. I think the W4 had been out for over half a year before I really considered buying it. I did my research because on paper it didn't appear to be the IEM for me.

Really, FlySweep is one of the few people who can suggest a product for me to buy without hearing it and I will. And that's only because we have spent countless hours inboxing each other about our perspective favorite sound signatures in an IEM and headphone, and debate the pros and cons back and forth. On top of that, we pretty much enjoy the same sound signatures, and anything he has suggested to me - and I bought - he hasn't been wrong about. Or he knows that certain IEMs he enjoys I abhor (like the DBA-02). So he would never try to push that IEM on me.

Which leads to my final point, sir. You stated you have listened and made objective findings. Well, your findings can't be objective since they are your opinions based on what sounds good to you. They are subjective. Likewise, whenever I comment (some say rave) about an IEM or product I am clearly giving my "subjective" opinion. Meaning I'm telling you how this product sounds to my ears and why I like it. In the back of my mind, however, I'm always consciously aware that you or any other person may not hear that product in the same manner that I do. It's like our first talk about the TF10 (my first one). I made extensive notes about what I was hearing and not hearing, especially the severely recessed mids I was hearing. Whatever it was, I didn't like the first TF10 I owned at all - for the most part. This was going by memory and by extensive notes I wrote about it while listening. You, my friend, tried to tell me not only that my memory was faulty, but that my written notes were too (lol). That was a bone of contention between us, unless you have some way of hearing exactly what I heard (I'm not saying this with any hostility). Now, I even conceded that I might have had a faulty pair of TF10s, but that UE certainly didn't sound like the the UE I'm hearing now (which I love now).

We all have our methods, Inks, is all I'm saying to you. I don't go in too deep with charts to decide if I like an IEM or not. What I get from the head-fi community is a general sense of what an IEM's sound sig is like, and if it one I might enjoy. If the answer is yes for me, I will seek it out to hear it. Upon listening, I decide if it meets MY standards of the sound I want to hear. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I have taken risks and the sound didn't pan out for me. I have taken risks and struck gold for my ears. I don't go by what's most popular.

Examples:
- I like the EX600 and 7550 over the EX1000 (albeit the latter is technically superior to both)
- james444 thought I wouldn't like the W4 because he felt it would be too neutral for me, but it's one of my favorite univeral IEMs
- The SE535 has anemic bass to my ears despite many debating to the contrary with me (actually I find that the W4 has quite a bit more bass and sub-bass than the SE535 (the SE530, however, has more bass than the SE535 - again to my ears)
- The DBA-02 is severly lacking details in the mids and in bass to my ears
- I liked the SM2 over the SM3. The SM3 was a is a great IEM, but it was just a bit too much of a good thing to my ears
All findings uniquely EricP and not going with the masses. All my subjective views. Happy listening Inks... No hostility sir... 
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Don't understand the hostility toward my findings, I have both listened and made objective findings. My case is different though as the ES cable i used did the opposite since it decreased impedance making it a bit brighter with a bit more subbass. The graphs do reflect what you hear as I had mentioned before and i heard the same coming from the ES cable to stock.

We all rely on someone else's opinions to some extent, otherwise we wouldn't have overrated products here on headfi. Graphs are useless to those without the knowledge and understanding of their relation to actual listening but should be respected in certain areas such as these (impedance changes) as they are completely objective here. 

Changes are definitely there with the Fiio cable with the most prominent change in the treble. Whether the changes are big or positive are for the user to decide, ClieOS wasn't as optimistic about the changes, but Eric sees it as a pretty big leap. A good choice if you want to warm up the TF10 nevertheless. 

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:24 PM Post #5,871 of 9,690
Well said eric. I do the same when deciding on a purchase. I try not to just go by on whats popular because that has led me to failure. The EX1000 was one of those purchases. But I also went on opinions that is was far superior to the IE8 and FX700 (which I completely disagree with but this is how I hear it...). I'm using this same methodology to select my next custom IEM which is the Heir 8A. From impressions it looks exactly what I'm looking for in a Custom IEM sound signature.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #5,872 of 9,690

X2
Quote:
Well said eric. I do the same when deciding on a purchase. I try not to just by on whats popular because that has led me to failure. The EX1000 was one of those purchases. But I also went on opinions that is was far superior to the IE8 and FX700 (which I completely disagree with but this is how I hear it...). I'm using this same methodology to select my next custom IEM which is the Heir 8A. From impressions it looks exactly what I'm looking for in a Custom IEM sound signature.

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #5,873 of 9,690

Describing the sound of an IEM can be made toward the objective, reviewers like Tyll Hertsens and Joker do a good job on this, despite the fact that some mileage may vary for users. Still, they get close enough that you can really take their word for it as to how they're the described imo. I also disagree with Joker's criteria of what's better (though also agree for a lot of it), but can't fault any of his descriptive reviews and can expect to learn more from his writings than most. This means that even though descriptions can be close to objective, ratings can't be as close and are actually all over the place at times. 

x2, i too agree more on descriptions than on people's ratings. 

There's a misunderstanding on what i mentioned on objective. The impedance changes of the TF10 are objective, not how we perceive them, it's clearly stated on my post. It's a fact that the more resistance you add, the more rolled off the bass gets (though this is smalller) and the more laid back the treble gets on the TF10. Add 70+ohms to it and you'll hear an extreme case. Wether that makes it better or whether the changes of the fiio cable are big are the subjective part. 

Misunderstanding again, i believe. Notes can give you a general idea of the sound, but can't be as precise as actual comparisons. "Severly recessed" is broad and hard to put together at times. I will for example, have a hard time grasping that you find the HJE900s less recessed based on memory of the two, i think a direct comparison would be needed. Recessed mids is also a term that's broad, it's either mostly midhigh or lower mid recession. FX700 is lower mid recession, TF10's recession is more on the higher mids. It's also relative to what you have, when you have a lot of midfocused iems, those with more laid back mids sound more "recessed". 

Feb 4, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #5,874 of 9,690
Person from whom I bought TF10 contacted UE warranty. And you know what? They happily said that they are out of stock and you can only expect a replacement pair on April. How is that? I have no words.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:18 PM Post #5,875 of 9,690
Some more observations of the differences between the stock and Fiio cables. The Fiio cable makes the TF10 slightly more prone to sibilance. Which still means you almost never hear it. Also, with the Fiio cable they aren't quite as crisp, and the notes are a bit softer, more rounded. Also, I feel like the entire sound is more forward with the Fiio cable. I'm probably just imagining that one though.

Feb 4, 2012 at 8:14 PM Post #5,876 of 9,690

Quote:
Person from whom I bought TF10 contacted UE warranty. And you know what? They happily said that they are out of stock and you can only expect a replacement pair on April. How is that? I have no words.

Ouch. Well atleast they told you they're going to give you some TF10s. I know some head-fiers were told that the TF10s were discontinued and that they could only replace them with the UE700.

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #5,879 of 9,690
By balanced I mean re-cabled with a balanced terminating interconnection and then put into a fully balanced amp/dac/source system.  I have seen two re-cabled TF10's with balanced interconnections and I am just wondering if there would be any audible difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back