Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Oct 11, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #4,276 of 9,690

Quote:
...and now we wait...

You know I'm gonna be sitting here waiting on 4 packages on your behalf now lol...

Have you owned TF10's before? If this is your first time around you'll be pleasantly surprised how they stack up to 3-400 dollar IEMs

I'm a loyal customer, I liked how you did the replug on the Beat Audio cable so I figured why not get cables too. It's like finding a good barber. Once you find one, you stick with the same barber. 

I haven't heard it before but always wanted to. I read that it has a V-shaped sound sig which I might like, I'll find out in a week.

Oct 11, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #4,277 of 9,690

Quote:
I'm a loyal customer, I liked how you did the replug on the Beat Audio cable so I figured why not get cables too. It's like finding a good barber. Once you find one, you stick with the same barber. 

I haven't heard it before but always wanted to. I read that it has a V-shaped sound sig which I might like, I'll find out in a week.

The TF10's are very v-shaped... they're horrible for analytical listening, but who does that out of an portable while walking around anyway! Since I'm into really hot treble with a punchy, but not overwhelming bottom end *COUGH COUGH CHRIS IS A GRADO WHORE*, it's really hard to find something akin to these, I hear the SM3's are good (kind of pricey), the W3's I listened to have too much bass mang! If you liek boom boom with all the quality there, it's good, I'm still suck on the UM3X series as an alternative if I ever lose these... 

I find a nice balance is to own an ER4 and a TF10 at the same time... the treble of the TF10 can be a little aggressive since it's not a "polite" sounding can by any means... so I used to swap to ER4's when I would slip into "old man" mode. I have a pair reshelled by Fisher, I'm not associated with them, but as broke as I am, I won't hesitate to mail every single mid-tier to high end IEM I ever own to them for reshells. At the price they offer their stuff for and the back end support they offer after the sale, it's really a no brainer if you're looking to immortalize your favorite IEM's. Who said customer service is going out of style?

Talk to Raguvian about how much he's enjoying his, he might have some insight on your future situation haha!

Thanks for the compliments btw, I'm always here to serve the community, but lets allow folks to discuss the TF10 here :)

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #4,278 of 9,690

Quote:
The TF10's are very v-shaped... they're horrible for analytical listening, but who does that out of an portable while walking around anyway! Since I'm into really hot treble with a punchy, but not overwhelming bottom end *COUGH COUGH CHRIS IS A GRADO WHORE*, it's really hard to find something akin to these, I hear the SM3's are good (kind of pricey), the W3's I listened to have too much bass mang! If you liek boom boom with all the quality there, it's good, I'm still suck on the UM3X series as an alternative if I ever lose these... 

I find a nice balance is to own an ER4 and a TF10 at the same time... the treble of the TF10 can be a little aggressive since it's not a "polite" sounding can by any means... so I used to swap to ER4's when I would slip into "old man" mode. I have a pair reshelled by Fisher, I'm not associated with them, but as broke as I am, I won't hesitate to mail every single mid-tier to high end IEM I ever own to them for reshells. At the price they offer their stuff for and the back end support they offer after the sale, it's really a no brainer if you're looking to immortalize your favorite IEM's. Who said customer service is going out of style?

Talk to Raguvian about how much he's enjoying his, he might have some insight on your future situation haha!

Thanks for the compliments btw, I'm always here to serve the community, but lets allow folks to discuss the TF10 here :)

Oh man, the treble is very energetic on the TF10's... after almost a month of using my SE215's, and then going back to my TF10's, I was blown away by how in-your-face the treble is!

These are by far my favorite headphones out there right now. I'm just hoping the refit on my reshells comes back good. I got a second pair of audiologist impressions that I sent in so hopefully it works out well this time.

I also let my friend use them for a while and he's hooked and is waiting to see if there's the $100 deal.
biggrin.gif

Also, just thought I'd let you know that I got hooked onto Grados again and bought an SR80i. For the third time! I'm also hoping for an SR225i soon.

Oct 11, 2011 at 10:47 AM Post #4,279 of 9,690

Quote:
Oh man, the treble is very energetic on the TF10's... after almost a month of using my SE215's, and then going back to my TF10's, I was blown away by how in-your-face the treble is!

These are by far my favorite headphones out there right now. I'm just hoping the refit on my reshells comes back good. I got a second pair of audiologist impressions that I sent in so hopefully it works out well this time.

I also let my friend use them for a while and he's hooked and is waiting to see if there's the $100 deal.
biggrin.gif

Also, just thought I'd let you know that I got hooked onto Grados again and bought an SR80i. For the third time! I'm also hoping for an SR225i soon.

Is the treble harsh at all on the TF10? The brightest earphones I've heard are the B2 and UE700, and I prefer it to be not as bright.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:12 PM Post #4,280 of 9,690

Quote:
Is the treble harsh at all on the TF10? The brightest earphones I've heard are the B2 and UE700, and I prefer it to be not as bright.

I don't find the treble to be harsh on the TF10 at all. It's energetic and fun, but it's not harsh. I haven't heard the B2 or UE700 though, but I would say the Audio Technica AD900 is slightly more edgy with its treble than the TF10. I'm pretty sensitive to bright headphones (I found the Shure SRH440 and Senn HD25-1 ii to be too bright for my tastes) but even after a couple of hours I don't find the TF10 to be fatiguing at all.

I think I was just used to the more grainy/recessed treble of the Shure SE215 and Meelec M31 (bass cannons) which is why the TF10's sounded so different after a month or so of not using them.

Also, Chris, I always thought the Ety ER4 had very aggressive/sharp treble?

Oct 11, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #4,281 of 9,690

Quote:

I agree 100% 
etysmile.gif
 They compliment each other very nicely.

Oct 11, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #4,283 of 9,690

Quote:

It can be, but only at the extremes when you find yourself listening to music with already overly harsh treble. It's not to the point where it's uncomfortable or it plain hurts, like say with an SR-60 Grado with no burn-in time listening to violin concerts (I mean I don't listen to that stuff, but just sayin')

Quote:

I don't find the treble to be harsh on the TF10 at all. It's energetic and fun, but it's not harsh. I haven't heard the B2 or UE700 though, but I would say the Audio Technica AD900 is slightly more edgy with its treble than the TF10. I'm pretty sensitive to bright headphones (I found the Shure SRH440 and Senn HD25-1 ii to be too bright for my tastes) but even after a couple of hours I don't find the TF10 to be fatiguing at all.

I think I was just used to the more grainy/recessed treble of the Shure SE215 and Meelec M31 (bass cannons) which is why the TF10's sounded so different after a month or so of not using them.

Also, Chris, I always thought the Ety ER4 had very aggressive/sharp treble?

ER4 has less aggressive treble than the TF10, it's not polite either, but it's more pronounced because detail/analytical oriented cans tend to look a little peaky on the FR chart, I tend to ignore this, since the ER4's have this "small" sound signature that when you turn the volume up, it's sort of like a laser beam, cutting through your music precisely and allowing you to dissect it. The sound isn't "big" or impressive to anybody, it's fun factor is just the sheer accuracy of them, not you know, impact, sizzling hot treble, or super lush mids that other headphones have to wow us with. The bass does however extend lower than a lot of cans I know and if you're super nerdy like me and you FIND music to play various frequency spectrums, it can honestly be a hobby of it's own. My Zune library looks completely odd and not many people listen to all the music I have on here... I'm like an old man at 22 now.

Quote:

they both rape your ears badly

Oh yeah... trust me I know. It's like sticking a bugle corn snack in there...

If you've ever owned customs, it's like cramming a cracker jack in there, both are comfortable once they're seated though :D

Quote:
I agree 100% 
etysmile.gif
 They compliment each other very nicely.

Yep, you could probably quite head-fi activity if you owned these two, knew about nothing else, and if I told you they both cost $500! Something about that recipe tends to convince people they're in a good spot.

Dude btw we should go to ramen sometime, are you by hwy 280? I live off the Saratoga exit plus you can see some of my stuff I roll with haha

Oct 11, 2011 at 6:02 PM Post #4,284 of 9,690
I sent my TF10s in last week to Fisher, I'm really anxious to get them back, and hope I love them as much as I think I will!

Oct 12, 2011 at 12:09 AM Post #4,285 of 9,690
I have UE10 Pro's.

Without amplification the UE10-Pro's were too bright for me and I felt I needed to tame the bright treble and sibilance somewhat, so I acquired the iBasso D10, with stock op-amps the treble was still to bright and the 'phones lacked bass, I got a op-amp roll kit and finally settled on the OPA2350 as op-amp and a pair of EL8201 as buffers, perfect, good bass, reduced sibilance.

There isn't a single mp3 player on the market that can drive ultra low impedence headphones so a amp which is designed for low impedence 'phones is essential.

My one wish is to see a merging of devices, is there any manufacturer that will merge a mp3 player with a portable amp ?, call it a Amp3 player.

Imagine if someone took the best of the iRiver H140 and the iBasso D12 combined into a Amp3 player...HEAVEN...oh, and 9v rechargeable user replaceable batteries.

Oct 12, 2011 at 1:35 AM Post #4,286 of 9,690

Quote:
I have UE10 Pro's.

Without amplification the UE10-Pro's were too bright for me and I felt I needed to tame the bright treble and sibilance somewhat, so I acquired the iBasso D10, with stock op-amps the treble was still to bright and the 'phones lacked bass, I got a op-amp roll kit and finally settled on the OPA2350 as op-amp and a pair of EL8201 as buffers, perfect, good bass, reduced sibilance.

There isn't a single mp3 player on the market that can drive ultra low impedence headphones so a amp which is designed for low impedence 'phones is essential.

My one wish is to see a merging of devices, is there any manufacturer that will merge a mp3 player with a portable amp ?, call it a Amp3 player.

Imagine if someone took the best of the iRiver H140 and the iBasso D12 combined into a Amp3 player...HEAVEN...oh, and 9v rechargeable user replaceable batteries.

I wish I could afford 10's.. :frowning2:

Most ibasso's out of box are pretty bright.... thats the problem I had with my D3 vs the Leckerton UHA-3 it competed with back in the day. The opamp swap plus switching a few caps to panasonic mil-spec helped, it was like 15 bucks worth of parts IIRC... the sibilance thing was what I noticed as well, especially if you're running it more than halfway for something like an HD580...

I'd get rid of it, but there isn't really any other portable alternatives that are as powerful... I wonder if Leckerton upgraded their newer stuff.

If I ever designed an amp, I'd give you guys some rechargeable CR123's hehehe give you guys like 5 days of continuous play at full volume!

Oct 12, 2011 at 10:26 AM Post #4,287 of 9,690
I find TF10 MUCH easier on the ears than ER4.  There is somewhat of a recession or veil with the TF10 midrange that keeps the treble from sounding too hot where I find ER4 colder more sterile and harsher at louder volumes for extended listening periods.

Oct 14, 2011 at 5:05 PM Post #4,290 of 9,690

Quote:
Got the TF10 today, first thing I noticed are the gigantic housings and the not so great cable. 
eek.gif

Quote:
Look can be quite deceiving my friend. 
wink.gif

the gigantic housing you mean? because the stock cable is crappy, Ive had $50 IEMs with a better stock cable. luckily the TF10 cable is replaceable, and one can buy (or make) a new one. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back