Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM Post #2,836 of 9,690
I was kind of surprised by the recessed midrange of the TF 10s when I first listened to them. To me, they sounded somewhat muffled and distant. Vocals and guitar sounded like they were off in the distance. The midbass was also a bit boomy for my taste.

I put Rockbox on my iPod (5.5G Video iPod, 30GB), and tweaked the response with the EQ, based on a plot posted elsewhere on this forum of the frequency response of the TF 10s. Now, I find the them to be much more enjoyable. Good detail, and a good sense of the space surrounding instruments and vocals.

They definitely respond well to amplification - listening to my iPod through my homemade class-A amp, the sound is much tighter and controlled, especially the bass. I'll probably wind up buying a portable amp at some point.

(Note: My main headphones are AKG K271S, so my perception of the SQ of the TF 10s is likely skewed. I haven't listened to very many headphones, so I don't have a lot to compare to.)

Jan 20, 2010 at 5:54 PM Post #2,837 of 9,690
i used pink noise to burn-in my TF10's, believe the theory or not, but after about 100 hours the TF10's opened up really well, and improved in space and warmth especially the mids, and i don't use the EQ anymore! i could even listen to them unamped, straight from the Ipod LO..

Jan 20, 2010 at 6:32 PM Post #2,838 of 9,690
Don't believe. I'm under the impression that balanced armatures don't benefit from "burn in"

Jan 20, 2010 at 11:07 PM Post #2,840 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by thesharkbite /img/forum/go_quote.gif
im getting an E1 maybe in a day or two, ill try em out and compare them against my current portable setup, Ipod > LOD > E5 > TF10

I'm not sure if the E1 does much to the TF10, let me know what you think though

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #2,842 of 9,690
Any impressions of the iBasso D4, RSA Tomahawk and Corda 3Move and the TF10's? Thanks.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:42 AM Post #2,843 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure if the E1 does much to the TF10, let me know what you think though

Made quite a noticeable difference to me, especially in the bass strength (not sure increased bass is what the TF10 needs, though...)

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #2,845 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by AVU /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ibasso t3 works wonders for the TF10. Corda XXS/Headsix/Move1,2,3 amp great as well.

What is the difference between the T3 and T3D ?

Jan 21, 2010 at 1:28 AM Post #2,846 of 9,690
Not sure if anyone has mentioned this, but if any of you have silicon Shure tips from the e2c, give them a try. I've spent a week or so experimenting with different tips, and found the old Shure tips to be the best. Another decent one was the soft silicone biflanges that came with the Soundmagic PL-30's. I also tried some Sony tips (non-hybrid) and while they were comfortable, the silicone is too thin and soft so isolation isnt that great with them.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:18 AM Post #2,847 of 9,690
BINGO! I finally found some tips that are making me happy!. I recieved a pair of Beta Brainwavz for review today and they had a pair of doubleflange tips in the box. So since I am burning them in for the next week and the 2 pair of biflange tips I have on order based on a recommendation from another Head-fi'er haven't arrived I throw them on.

What a difference! Good seal without hurting my ears by over insertion and the sound has completely changed! Bass is much bigger, soundstage has improved (wider and now has depth!), treble has way more detail and energy, the only area that is interestingly/possibly negatively impacted is the midrange (at least from my Ipod Touch 2G). I now have something I am enjoying until my IE8 arrive and it might actually be a fight which one I prefer!

Still not the most comfortable IEM I have used buy MUCH MUCH BETTER! BTW these really do like to be amped IMO. Ipod Touch they are OK, amped they border on awesome.

Jan 21, 2010 at 5:50 AM Post #2,848 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Made quite a noticeable difference to me, especially in the bass strength (not sure increased bass is what the TF10 needs, though...)

well, that's what I meant, my one giant problem with the TF10 is the recessed mids when unamped and it was worse with the E1. E1 works great with my RE0 however.

Jan 21, 2010 at 12:15 PM Post #2,850 of 9,690
Yes, I have both. The fake hybrids are slightly longer and firmer so isolate better, whereas the real ones are a bit more comfortable. I did not notice any SQ difference.

I traded my L fakes with tsarn06 for his M "reals", so maybe he can give some impressions also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back