Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 21, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #2,852 of 9,690
Hey, thanks for that tip on tips. I was using the hybrids and they are good for me, but I had the Betas here too, and tried the giant bi-flange, and you are right. Wow. They are pretty big and need a little effort to get inserted properly, but once they seal, they are excellent with the TF10 stock. They are very similar to the Head-Direct RE giant flanges.

Anyway, I am giving away my Betas, but the recipient will have to live without the bi-flanges. I no longer have much of an amp, so they will do as is. I have an Amp3, and may try using it to amp the TF10s, which I have not done yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BINGO! I finally found some tips that are making me happy!. I recieved a pair of Beta Brainwavz for review today and they had a pair of doubleflange tips in the box. So since I am burning them in for the next week and the 2 pair of biflange tips I have on order based on a recommendation from another Head-fi'er haven't arrived I throw them on.

What a difference! Good seal without hurting my ears by over insertion and the sound has completely changed! Bass is much bigger, soundstage has improved (wider and now has depth!), treble has way more detail and energy, the only area that is interestingly/possibly negatively impacted is the midrange (at least from my Ipod Touch 2G). I now have something I am enjoying until my IE8 arrive and it might actually be a fight which one I prefer!

Still not the most comfortable IEM I have used buy MUCH MUCH BETTER! BTW these really do like to be amped IMO. Ipod Touch they are OK, amped they border on awesome.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:09 PM Post #2,853 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What is the difference between the T3 and T3D ?

The T3D has a digital volume control, is more expensive and sounds slightly worse (per iBasso). I really don't see much of a reason to get the T3D - the pot on the T3 is a high quality ALPS and is quite accurate, has a good amount of resistance and is partially recessed so it would be very unlikely that you would accidentally bump it while it's in your pocket, etc.

I don't know if the TF10 just has recessed mids when unamped or the the T3 has more forward mids (it shouldn't, really, and I've asked other owners but they haven't responded) but the TF10 + T3 combo is very good. I found (much to my surprise) that is does a great job bringing up the mid so that the vocals don't get lost in mix. Unfortunately my player (Cowon S9) does not have a line out function, so I have to amp through the headphone jack (which is not bad on it's own), but I still found it to be a noticeable improvement. Other than the mids, I thought there was a great deal of increased clarity over all, and cymbals really had a nice snap to them. The sound stage was slightly negatively impacted though - it's slightly smaller and less "holographic" using the amp. I really didn't notice any change in bass performance when using the T3, which is really what I was most looking forward to.

The T3 combined with slight EQing on my S9 have really given the TF10 a fantastic sound. I picked up a pair of 4th gen iPods to attempt a diyMod and listened to one of them with the headphone out - it was such a dull and boring sound, lacking in clarity and bass impact.

EDIT: Here is my EQ setting on the S9 for anybody who might be interested:

EQ:
+1dB @ 80Hz (wide)
-1dB @ 300Hz (normal)
+1dB @1.1kHz (normal)
+0dB @3kHz (wide)
+0dB @ 13kHz (wide)

BBE+:
BBE: 2
Mach3Bass: 1
3D Surround: 1
MP Enhance: On

STE:
Stereo Enhance: 1
Reverb: Off

Stereo Enhance, even at it's highest setting really has such limited impact on the the sound (imho) that I may just turn it off to see if it saves on battery power any.

Jan 21, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #2,854 of 9,690
I just got my D4 (connected via USB) and wanted to say they sound remarkable with these IEMs, especially for rock (a few FLAC tracks with RATM with the D4+UE10 will make you very happy). You'll get a LOT of detail with a good amount of quality bass, which wasn't true when I was using an old sound card (Audigy 2, lacked detail and separation of instruments.)

They work well with other genres as well but really shine with rock, alternative, and metal.

Quote:

Originally Posted by unl3a5h3d /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Any impressions of the iBasso D4, RSA Tomahawk and Corda 3Move and the TF10's? Thanks.

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #2,856 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They are very similar to the Head-Direct RE giant flanges.

Are they the exact same shape? Mind posting some photos?
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:37 PM Post #2,857 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by mesasone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The T3D has a digital volume control, is more expensive and sounds slightly worse (per iBasso). I really don't see much of a reason to get the T3D - the pot on the T3 is a high quality ALPS and is quite accurate, has a good amount of resistance and is partially recessed so it would be very unlikely that you would accidentally bump it while it's in your pocket, etc.

I don't know if the TF10 just has recessed mids when unamped or the the T3 has more forward mids (it shouldn't, really, and I've asked other owners but they haven't responded) but the TF10 + T3 combo is very good. I found (much to my surprise) that is does a great job bringing up the mid so that the vocals don't get lost in mix. Unfortunately my player (Cowon S9) does not have a line out function, so I have to amp through the headphone jack (which is not bad on it's own), but I still found it to be a noticeable improvement. Other than the mids, I thought there was a great deal of increased clarity over all, and cymbals really had a nice snap to them. The sound stage was slightly negatively impacted though - it's slightly smaller and less "holographic" using the amp. I really didn't notice any change in bass performance when using the T3, which is really what I was most looking forward to.

The T3 combined with slight EQing on my S9 have really given the TF10 a fantastic sound. I picked up a pair of 4th gen iPods to attempt a diyMod and listened to one of them with the headphone out - it was such a dull and boring sound, lacking in clarity and bass impact.

EDIT: Here is my EQ setting on the S9 for anybody who might be interested:

EQ:
+1dB @ 80Hz (wide)
-1dB @ 300Hz (normal)
+1dB @1.1kHz (normal)
+0dB @3kHz (wide)
+0dB @ 13kHz (wide)

BBE+:
BBE: 2
Mach3Bass: 1
3D Surround: 1
MP Enhance: On

STE:
Stereo Enhance: 1
Reverb: Off

Stereo Enhance, even at it's highest setting really has such limited impact on the the sound (imho) that I may just turn it off to see if it saves on battery power any.

Thanks for the detailed reply. I have the Cowon X5 and to use the line out, I need to connect via the adapter and that would be a no go. What type of battery does the T3 uses?

Jan 21, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #2,858 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by bcpk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Are they the exact same shape? Mind posting some photos?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sure, later though. Have to go out right now. They are almost exactly the same color/size/shape as the Head-Direct giant bi-flanges.

Jan 22, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #2,859 of 9,690
Yup the beta biflange tips are wonderfull for the TF10 and IE8 as well. I may not keep the Beta after I am done my review but like Tstarn06 I won't be giving up the biflange tips LOL.

Have to say I love my new IE8's but I do think I won't be getting rid of the TF10 quite yet. I like the contrast between the two IEM's at the moment. Plus I have zero fatigue issues with the TF10 while I am having this problem with the IE8 so far.

Here is a picture of the biflange tip:
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4535-beta-brainwavz-biflange.jpg
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4536-biflange2.jpg
dweaver-albums-pictures-my-phones-picture4537-biflangetop.jpg

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:50 AM Post #2,864 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by DVDIT /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the detailed reply. I have the Cowon X5 and to use the line out, I need to connect via the adapter and that would be a no go. What type of battery does the T3 uses?

No idea. It's internal. Probably a lithium ion. It takes about two hours to charge and according to iBasso has about 35 hours of play time. In my experience, that seems pretty accurate.

Jan 22, 2010 at 8:53 AM Post #2,865 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Guidostrunk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
New owner of the tf-10. These things are insane. Absolutely love em. WOW. Fuze - p-51 mustang- to tf10 = Heaven
biggrin.gif

How do they sound with out the amp? I'm curious to find out if the improvement in the mids is a characteristic of the amped TripleFis or just the sound signature of my particular amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back