Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Mar 28, 2008 at 2:12 AM Post #61 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by DoubleEs /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can I ask what sort of burn time is require before these IEM start to sound 'sweet'? The reason I'm asking is because I bought one of these to replace the E4C I lost recently, and if I'm totally honest about them, they're not that good
confused.gif

I have about 20 hours use on them and the SQ is no where near as good as the E4C I've lost. The mid range is non existence, and vocal is recessed. Instrument separation is also non existence!!!
confused.gif
confused.gif

I'm so disappointed in them that I'm thinking of replacing it with the 530s
frown.gif

Are you using any EQ within the device you primarily listen through?. If you bought only one, the problem could be you need a PAIR to listen in stereo (sorry I couldn't help myself).

Mar 28, 2008 at 8:32 AM Post #62 of 9,690
I'm curious, as someone who hasn't done the universal IEM thing in a while but who always wonders about what else is out there, when people talk about comfort, I don't see much written about WHAT makes them uncomfortable. It looks to me like there's actually an advantage in that there is no such thing as putting them in too deep (like you could with etys).

So what about them makes them uncomfortable? I'm also curious as to why UE has to put a mod on their website. I mean, shouldn't they just have designed them like that in the first place so that you didn't have to swap them around?

Mar 28, 2008 at 11:56 AM Post #63 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious, as someone who hasn't done the universal IEM thing in a while but who always wonders about what else is out there, when people talk about comfort, I don't see much written about WHAT makes them uncomfortable. It looks to me like there's actually an advantage in that there is no such thing as putting them in too deep (like you could with etys).

So what about them makes them uncomfortable? I'm also curious as to why UE has to put a mod on their website. I mean, shouldn't they just have designed them like that in the first place so that you didn't have to swap them around?

A comfort problem is that because they are so big they are fairly prone to pressing on various parts of the ear structure. The flip-flop mod is intended to change how the phone angles and might change where pressure is applied. For some it works best one way and for others it works better the other way. Also the flip-flop changes the seal for some because the phone enters the ear in a different way.

Mar 28, 2008 at 12:03 PM Post #64 of 9,690
Beats me too...I find the design of the TF very comfortable, especially with ES cable, but there are so many posts out there where poor fit is an issue...
confused.gif
...I wonder if it is largely a matter of cables: stock is fairly thick and noticeable in wear unlike the ES which is very thin & supple, altho I don't find the stock cable hideously unwearable by any means.

Whereas, much as I love Etys, the deep insertion drives me nuts after 10 minutes or so! To each their own...

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:10 PM Post #65 of 9,690
I have a little quick question.

I would love to try some of those highly praised triple driver IEM's like SE530 and Triple.fi 10 pro.

The only thing I'm worried about is the sound of them. At the moment I'm really hanging towards the Triple.fi's but I can't find anybody who knows how they compare to the Futuresonics Atrio. I Have the Atrio's right now for about 6 months. I REALLY love these atrio's. Many say that they have recessed mids and very rolled of highs. Well, I think that they have a nice balance. The mids are nice and laid back and the Highs are there, allthough sometimes I'd like them a lttle bit more bright and sparkling. But I'm not shure if this is the recording or the Atrio's. I'm shure, since it's the charasteric of an Balanced Armature, that the highs and mids will be wonderfull. I'm worried about my low end though. The Atrio's have the most engaging and True (this is the only way to describe it) sounding low-end I've ever heard. It's full, but always just spot on perfect! Now how's the low-end on the Triple.fi's?

I'm normally a person who would take a gamble from time to time, my Atrio's were a gamble since I've never listened to them before. I can't listen to the triple.fi's either and a 399$ gamble is quite a bit gamble imho. I do crazy stuff sometimes, but this is too crazy for me....

Thx for any input!!

greetz

Mar 28, 2008 at 1:35 PM Post #66 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by ricthaman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a little quick question.

I would love to try some of those highly praised triple driver IEM's like SE530 and Triple.fi 10 pro.

The only thing I'm worried about is the sound of them. At the moment I'm really hanging towards the Triple.fi's but I can't find anybody who knows how they compare to the Futuresonics Atrio. I Have the Atrio's right now for about 6 months. I REALLY love these atrio's. Many say that they have recessed mids and very rolled of highs. Well, I think that they have a nice balance. The mids are nice and laid back and the Highs are there, allthough sometimes I'd like them a lttle bit more bright and sparkling. But I'm not shure if this is the recording or the Atrio's. I'm shure, since it's the charasteric of an Balanced Armature, that the highs and mids will be wonderfull. I'm worried about my low end though. The Atrio's have the most engaging and True (this is the only way to describe it) sounding low-end I've ever heard. It's full, but always just spot on perfect! Now how's the low-end on the Triple.fi's?

I'm normally a person who would take a gamble from time to time, my Atrio's were a gamble since I've never listened to them before. I can't listen to the triple.fi's either and a 399$ gamble is quite a bit gamble imho. I do crazy stuff sometimes, but this is too crazy for me....

Thx for any input!!

greetz

Although i have never heard the Atrio's what you described above seems to be bang on the Triple Fi's.

The highs on the TF's are crystal clear, the definition fantastic. Although 'bright' they are not harsh or shrill.

The mids are laid back but still full and present. I would never describe them as 'sucked out' like some have done, they have depth and quality.

As for the bass, it is brilliant. I listen to a very wide variety of music, from metal/hard rock to electro trance and classic. There is punch and depth, with power and definition. Sometimes they make me equate my ear drum to a kick drum.

You will not be dissapointed.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:20 PM Post #69 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by plainsong /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Hi, I used these for some months, and I felt that the comfort issue is very much related to how you insert them (angle+depth).
They were uncomfortable to me, because parts of the tips or even the hard stem was pressing against the wrong parts, creating pressure and actual physical pain.
It wasn't much, but it's like that scratch on your leg or itch on your back that you keep coming back to, and it's greatly distracting.

I think that the people who find discomfort should experiment with the different tips and the way they insert them, for me this made a big difference.
Before I sold them I was able to use them with a good seal and no noticeable discomfort (with Shure black foams medium size), but I preferred the Ety's so I kept those instead.

Mar 28, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #70 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by Crackerman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I imagine the depth depends greatly from person to person; ear canal size, which tips you're using etc.

As long as its not uncomfortable and they sound right then I wouldn't worry about it.

x2.

But to answer the question: Using olives currently - either U or E is obscured respectively. I think tk3 is right -the angle is important for comfort.

As for Atrios (which I haven't heard) - bass presentation seems a particular feature in all the reviews I read. I'm absolutely happy with TF bass, but I wonder if they may sound a little 'lean' (which I prefer) in comparison to the apparently pronounced bass of Atrio's? With Trips the bass is certainly there & very apparent when it needs to be, but it doesn't colour the whole sound...

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #71 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by nc8000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A comfort problem is that because they are so big they are fairly prone to pressing on various parts of the ear structure. The flip-flop mod is intended to change how the phone angles and might change where pressure is applied. For some it works best one way and for others it works better the other way. Also the flip-flop changes the seal for some because the phone enters the ear in a different way.

First the burn-in query: Antonyfirst says the cables needed some time to burn-in. The drivers apparently don't.

I was almost literally on my last day of my 30-day guarantee period through Soundearphones and was going to return them, and this after trying the Complys too. Just didn't get a good fit. Then did the "flip=flop" someone suggested and VOILA--perfect fit.

now happily using the bi-flanges that came with the Triples and am keeping them.

How do they sound?? I'm using with a 5.5g Imod and either a Portaphile or Tomahawk amp. They're like Etys on steroids. Beautiful sonic depth and great soundstage. Altho on the amp thread, I've posted a thread about amp synergy, 'cause I'm wondering what the ideal amp would be to pair with the Triples.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:58 PM Post #73 of 9,690
Quote:

Originally Posted by tnmike1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First the burn-in query: Antonyfirst says the cables needed some time to burn-in. The drivers apparently don't.

Cable burn in is something I've heard a few times, but, even if there are any, changes will be very quick.

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:04 AM Post #74 of 9,690
This may sound like a ridiculous question but how do you actually get the supposedly detachable wires off the UE Triple.fi Pro--I've been dying to try out the flip-flop mod.

I've been pulling on the cable plug where it inserts into the IEM but it almost feels as if something is going to break. Are the wires supposed to be this difficult to detach?

El Duderino

Mar 29, 2008 at 4:35 AM Post #75 of 9,690
Same with me, I tried and it was really hard, but yeah after a few goes I got it, it was scary as I didnt want to break it.

It takes a bit of force, but be very very careful!

Anyone know (apart from Jaben) where I can get a modified ES2 cable, as I really want one!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back