Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 22, 2016 at 1:54 AM Post #9,453 of 9,690
Last time I checked (a month or so ago) there were no reported counterfeits. I've been thinking about picking up a backup pair myself but I've been moving away from UIEMs, so decided not to. But the pull is strong with the TF10s that's for sure!

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:13 AM Post #9,454 of 9,690
Last time I checked (a month or so ago) there were no reported counterfeits. I've been thinking about picking up a backup pair myself but I've been moving away from UIEMs, so decided not to. But the pull is strong with the TF10s that's for sure!

Those ones on aliexpress seem new.Generally come with no packaging. I sometimes see them popping up with a blue box. Not sure how they'd be the genuine article?

Jan 22, 2016 at 8:57 AM Post #9,456 of 9,690
They may not have included the packaging for a number of reasons, and don't necessarily denote a counterfeit product. Afterall, look at all the full boxed IE8 and IE80 counterfeits. As I see it, Aliexpress has a fairly decent buyer guarantee. So if you have the real deal on hand to make direct comparisons, then it may be possible to find out. If they are fake, then you can just report the seller and you might even be able to keep the pair and get a full refund. If they're the real deal, then hey, you got yourself a 400 dollar pair of IEMs on the cheap! How much are the ones that you're looking at btw? Last time I checked the were going for 160 per pair. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #9,457 of 9,690
  They may not have included the packaging for a number of reasons, and don't necessarily denote a counterfeit product. Afterall, look at all the full boxed IE8 and IE80 counterfeits. As I see it, Aliexpress has a fairly decent buyer guarantee. So if you have the real deal on hand to make direct comparisons, then it may be possible to find out. If they are fake, then you can just report the seller and you might even be able to keep the pair and get a full refund. If they're the real deal, then hey, you got yourself a 400 dollar pair of IEMs on the cheap! How much are the ones that you're looking at btw? Last time I checked the were going for 160 per pair. 

Also, they stopped making the TF10....right? I mean - It was discontinued a long time ago...and the ones on ali-express are new? And multiple available from multiple suppliers? Were they just made and continue to be made and sold through aliexpress. 

Jan 22, 2016 at 12:49 PM Post #9,458 of 9,690
I have heard of fake TF10 in China, but when I read that thread the original poster said they hadn't reached Western world yet. Apparently they use TF10 shells with single (crappy) dynamic driver inside. Of course unless someone takes a hit and tries we can't be 100%, though generally Aliexpress send alarm bells everywhere of counterfeit.

Jan 22, 2016 at 1:31 PM Post #9,459 of 9,690
What's similar in sonic quality these days?

I owned the TF10 for an extensive period of time and the only IEM I've found (from listening to hundreds) that mimics the TF10 in its presentation and signature is the Fidue A83. In some ways they're better, in some ways not, but overall quite similar to what I remember.

Jan 22, 2016 at 2:06 PM Post #9,460 of 9,690

Yes, afaik the price is still going for 160. And im on the verge of purchasing it as the feedback from previous buyers seems ok.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:30 PM Post #9,461 of 9,690

I owned the TF10 for an extensive period of time and the only IEM I've found (from listening to hundreds) that mimics the TF10 in its presentation and signature is the Fidue A83. In some ways they're better, in some ways not, but overall quite similar to what I remember.

I own both and in my opinion they're quite different. The A83 are warm-ish with good treble extension but not quite as shimmery (or refined) as the TF10. The bass is on a whole other level however as I consider the TF10 to be fairly bass light. The A83 has a lot more low end presence. The A83 uses a TWFK driver to my knowledge and exhibit some of the weaknesses of the driver's nature. Mainly a sharper upper mid and in the treble region; something I have not heard in the TF10. To be honest, I love the TF10 because despite some short comings on bass the earphones are fairly refined and easy to listen to. The A83 annoys me with their high end. I've recently gone the CIEM route and honestly, it's a whole other game from there. The CIEM I'm using is a dual driver using Sonion's 1723 drivers and despite the lack of a driver, it hands down beats every UIEM I own.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:31 PM Post #9,462 of 9,690
I have heard of fake TF10 in China, but when I read that thread the original poster said they hadn't reached Western world yet. Apparently they use TF10 shells with single (crappy) dynamic driver inside. Of course unless someone takes a hit and tries we can't be 100%, though generally Aliexpress send alarm bells everywhere of counterfeit.

I did not know that. Thanks for the research. I was thinking about grabbing a pair as well for 160 to reshell. Guess some caution is needed.

Jan 22, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #9,463 of 9,690
  Also, they stopped making the TF10....right? I mean - It was discontinued a long time ago...and the ones on ali-express are new? And multiple available from multiple suppliers? Were they just made and continue to be made and sold through aliexpress. 

Not sure. Could be bulk purchases from old stock but who knows? It's a good question. 

Jan 24, 2016 at 4:15 AM Post #9,464 of 9,690
I dont know much or any info about counterfeits or etc, I do know I have an old deadstock BRAND NEW I purchased in '09.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back