Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 26, 2016 at 10:41 AM Post #9,481 of 9,690
Well i was looking to possibly upgrade my TF10s but i havent really found anything clear on what would be a noticeable upgrade so im starting to think i shouldnt. Im looking for a V-Shape IEM under $500 (inc/molds? if needed). I plan on pairing with my FiiO E17.

Also.. does anyone know of a good replacement cable i can currently get for under $50? 

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #9,482 of 9,690
Well i was looking to possibly upgrade my TF10s but i havent really found anything clear on what would be a noticeable upgrade so im starting to think i shouldnt. Im looking for a V-Shape IEM under $500 (inc/molds? if needed). I plan on pairing with my FiiO E17.

Also.. does anyone know of a good replacement cable i can currently get for under $50? 

Easy. Custom Art Music Two. Dual driver CIEM. With current conversion it's a pretty good price, plus it's a silicone CIEM. Way better in comfort and isolation and I own both acrylic and silicone. The M2 are amazing, and easily bests the TFI10 on all counts. Sorry TFI10... But it's true - Bass, mids.... Even the treble.

Jan 26, 2016 at 10:23 PM Post #9,483 of 9,690
Easy. Custom Art Music Two. Dual driver CIEM. With current conversion it's a pretty good price, plus it's a silicone CIEM. Way better in comfort and isolation and I own both acrylic and silicone. The M2 are amazing, and easily bests the TFI10 on all counts. Sorry TFI10... But it's true - Bass, mids.... Even the treble.

Keep in mind, he's clearly someone who enjoyed the TF10, so if the CA2 "easily bests the TF10 on all counts" for you, it could be that you prefer its presentation to the TF10s, whereas he rather enjoys it and is looking for something similar but better.

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #9,484 of 9,690

Keep in mind, he's clearly someone who enjoyed the TF10, so if the CA2 "easily bests the TF10 on all counts" for you, it could be that you prefer its presentation to the TF10s, whereas he rather enjoys it and is looking for something similar but better.

Sorry, didn't mean to sound like the TF10 are completely obsolete. Cause they're not. I was listening to them last night and still felt that they perform exceptionally well. The thing is, the first and most immediate comparison that came to my mind was the TF10 when I auditioned the Music Two for the first time. The sound signature isn't exactly the same as the TF10 - the TF10 are unique in my opinion, but then so are the M2. The M2 definitely has a bit more peaky nature than the TF10. But o0ADAM0o also mentioned that he wanted a V shaped sound in his new upgrade - something that I think that the TF10 doesn't deliver. The TF10 lack bass presence to be really a V shaped pair. I think that they are exceptional when it comes to treble and an intimate midrange but not quite on bass. The M2 on the otherhand DOES have a V shaped sound, hence the recommendation. Note that he didn't actually say that he's looking for the same sound - more that he wants something V shaped. 

I apologize to you if my earlier response offended you in any way. The M2 are a clear upgrade over the TF10 TO ME. So I was happy to recommend. Perhaps I should have been a bit more careful with my comment. 

Jan 27, 2016 at 1:53 AM Post #9,485 of 9,690

Also o0ADAM0o. If you still need a cable recommendation, consider the Linum BAX cables, or the Linum MUSIC. I have the former and consider them to be the best cables hands down when it comes to comfort. Can't comment on durability or SQ changes (except that then sound fine to me). But they are supposed to be very durable and pliant. They cost a bit over 50, but are well worth the cost IMHO. They tangle easily (for the BAX) so meticulous cable management is key.

Jan 28, 2016 at 2:19 AM Post #9,486 of 9,690
  Sorry, didn't mean to sound like the TF10 are completely obsolete. Cause they're not. I was listening to them last night and still felt that they perform exceptionally well. The thing is, the first and most immediate comparison that came to my mind was the TF10 when I auditioned the Music Two for the first time. The sound signature isn't exactly the same as the TF10 - the TF10 are unique in my opinion, but then so are the M2. The M2 definitely has a bit more peaky nature than the TF10. But o0ADAM0o also mentioned that he wanted a V shaped sound in his new upgrade - something that I think that the TF10 doesn't deliver. The TF10 lack bass presence to be really a V shaped pair. I think that they are exceptional when it comes to treble and an intimate midrange but not quite on bass. The M2 on the otherhand DOES have a V shaped sound, hence the recommendation. Note that he didn't actually say that he's looking for the same sound - more that he wants something V shaped. 

I apologize to you if my earlier response offended you in any way. The M2 are a clear upgrade over the TF10 TO ME. So I was happy to recommend. Perhaps I should have been a bit more careful with my comment. 

Oh no offense taken at all dude 
etysmile.gif
 I just think it's always good to qualify recommendations. I haven't heard the M2 so i have no idea how it stacks up to the TF10 or if it sounds similar or different, but after half a decade on Head-Fi, I always see little red subjectivity flags when someone says "x is better than y in every way!"

The graph of the M2 seems to indicate a v-shaped sound, as does your description of it.

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:32 AM Post #9,488 of 9,690

Oh no offense taken at all dude 
etysmile.gif
 I just think it's always good to qualify recommendations. I haven't heard the M2 so i have no idea how it stacks up to the TF10 or if it sounds similar or different, but after half a decade on Head-Fi, I always see little red subjectivity flags when someone says "x is better than y in every way!"

The graph of the M2 seems to indicate a v-shaped sound, as does your description of it.

Honestly, I'm just as surprised as you are. I wasn't expecting the M2 to outperform the TF10 since they are a dual driver model. Part of me didn't really wanna believe it either; but in the end I had to concede it to the M2. The thing is, it may really have come down to the quality of seal and proximity of the driver to the ears. There is no denying that CIEMs have a HUGE advantage over universals in fit and comfort. I think that the fit is perhaps the biggest reason for the M2's performance. Not necessarily a technical advantage. But Piotr - the man behind the company, is getting wide recognition as being something of a BA technical master. I will concede that to say that the TF10 is inferior in every way (another way to saying that the M2 is superior in every way as I earlier have described...) is unfair. The TF10s still perform marvelously and of course, nothing changes the fact that the TF10 as a piece of work is outstanding. If there is one thing I felt today while spending the entire day with the M2 is that the M2 has a very engaging and detailed sound. The air around the vocals and instruments is fantastic and is overall, full and warm-ish (similar to a A83 I'd say) sounding. But that being the case, while the highs extend nicely, it does sound just a tad more aggressive than the TF10's more refined and delicate treble. The TF10's treble is still something to behold even after 10 years as I've heard no other IEM manage that level of refinement and clarity in the treble region. I'd give that to the TF10. So the M2 isn't superior in every way. But there is also another reason why the M2 might be better and that boils down to the BA design. Most BAs have the same design and vary bit by bit be tuning and some by design. The Sonion 1723 driver used in the M2 are new; almost a next generation design. It's a direct rival to the TWFK driver, but in my opinion, much better. Piotr told me that the M2's driver is technically the better piece compared to the drivers used in his own triple design, the Ei.3. So I guess some of the advantage is from the newness of the driver unit. 

I'm still a fan of the TF10. I'd never sell mine. I never got the UE900 cause I loved my TF10 too much to sell for an upgrade. The price I paid for both earphones are roughly the same; I paid 250 for the TF10 and close to 340 for the M2 (when it comes to earphones I can easily justify the 100 extra lol). Honestly, I'm not just trying to say this to defend a product. I also have the much more expensive Ei.XX; the 6 driver model and I personally find myself reaching for the M2 more often than the Ei.XX. I dunno. The entire hobby is subjective so I do give my recommendation with some reservation. But honest to god they are brilliant and I am confident in my recommendation.

Well, I never thought I'd sound like those dudes who simply show up and go "oh my god they are so much better in every way!" but here I am. Maybe I really am a sheep for the CA stuff. But if you want a second opinion, ask anyone who had a chance to audition the Music One and the Music Two. Piotr really knows what he's doing. :)

Jan 28, 2016 at 10:34 AM Post #9,489 of 9,690
  the best vshape under 500 are jvc fx series.. 
i upgraded from tf10 to jvc fx850 and 850 was a clearly winner  to me.. 

I tried them briefly. I think they're way too different to be comparable. The FX850 are warm (very), thick, rich and bassy; almost the complete opposite of the TF10. I did find them to be good though, and would love to own a pair. But I wouldn't be able to say with certainty that they're an upgrade per se, because they are so different in sound. I'd say with those two, it could split either ways. You went to the dark side (the warm, bassy FX).

Feb 9, 2016 at 3:32 PM Post #9,491 of 9,690
I have a mint condition TF10 (original owner) with box and all accessories for sale: http://www.head-fi.org/t/797744/ultimate-ears-triplefi-10-ue-tf10-in-mint-condition-with-box-accessories

Very hard to let these go!

Feb 20, 2016 at 3:19 AM Post #9,493 of 9,690
Have any of you TF10 lovers tried the AD01 and can give some comparison?

Thanks.

I dont think it took off as expected and there are also lot of alternatives in sub $100 dual dynamics....but its a good start/attempt by lmue to jump into highyly competetive under $100 IEMregion with rc and also individual earpieces getable incase if we miss/or got destroyed after warranty tho.....

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:16 PM Post #9,494 of 9,690
Hello, I just lost signal in the left channel on my UE triple fi 10vi on the train home, it looks like the cable is fraying just the other side of the jack (not bad i guess, looks like I bought them in Dec '09).

1. Is it simple to fix the cable? reading on amazon, people seem to be indicating that it is, & that they bought a replacement & did it themselves, but it's not obvious to me how you do that. Do you pull on the black plastic bit that goes into the L & R driver housings?

2. Any recommendations for which cable? Should I call UE (Logitech) in the morning & see what they're offering?

3. I remember when this thread was new, reading about custom fits that take it to another level. I've always been happy with these things as is, with comply tips, but is there a good deal out there right now for custom fits? Even though I clean my ears out every time I use them, I seem to go through a fair amount of the comply tips, so that would be another plus.

4. Has the iem world moved on massively since i bought them in Dec '09? Should I be looking at something else rather than putting money into them? I have been very happy with the sound...Pretty much only used them powered directly from an iphone (currently iphone 5), I would use them more at home (where they would be powered by a Rogue Sphinx or that Zero Dac thingy), & prefer them to my Grado sr60, but I like open air 'phones at home, in order to be able to hear if my kids get hurt, or someone's breaking in!

Thanks, & forgive me for not reading all 600 pages.

Mar 9, 2016 at 10:21 PM Post #9,495 of 9,690
  Hello, I just lost signal in the left channel on my UE triple fi 10vi on the train home, it looks like the cable is fraying just the other side of the jack (not bad i guess, looks like I bought them in Dec '09).

1. Is it simple to fix the cable? reading on amazon, people seem to be indicating that it is, & that they bought a replacement & did it themselves, but it's not obvious to me how you do that. Do you pull on the black plastic bit that goes into the L & R driver housings?

2. Any recommendations for which cable? Should I call UE (Logitech) in the morning & see what they're offering?

3. I remember when this thread was new, reading about custom fits that take it to another level. I've always been happy with these things as is, with comply tips, but is there a good deal out there right now for custom fits? Even though I clean my ears out every time I use them, I seem to go through a fair amount of the comply tips, so that would be another plus.

4. Has the iem world moved on massively since i bought them in Dec '09? Should I be looking at something else rather than putting money into them? I have been very happy with the sound...Pretty much only used them powered directly from an iphone (currently iphone 5), I would use them more at home (where they would be powered by a Rogue Sphinx or that Zero Dac thingy), & prefer them to my Grado sr60, but I like open air 'phones at home, in order to be able to hear if my kids get hurt, or someone's breaking in!

Thanks, & forgive me for not reading all 600 pages.

Just spend $30 or a little less, get a Fio RC-UE2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back