Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Oct 24, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #7,576 of 9,690
You've convinced me, I don't think I can wait 1 month.
They'll be my first IEM, I've only ever listened to various earbuds, so this will be exciting.:bigsmile_face:

Well you shouldn't be disappointed, they'll be an excellent step up for you.

Oct 24, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #7,577 of 9,690
Hi, I have my TF10's and love them, however I'm thinking of getting them reshelled. I've had a look around but all the companies seem to be US or even further a field. I am living in the UK but the UK sites I've had a look at for reshells seem to be priced FAR higher than the foreign ones. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me one in europe that's good? Also does a re-shell only improve isolation and fit or does it change the sound? Will custom TF10 cables work with a reshell or will I have to get one for different pins, or does it depend on the company?

Thanks

Oct 24, 2012 at 6:11 PM Post #7,578 of 9,690
Quote:
Hi, I have my TF10's and love them, however I'm thinking of getting them reshelled. I've had a look around but all the companies seem to be US or even further a field. I am living in the UK but the UK sites I've had a look at for reshells seem to be priced FAR higher than the foreign ones. I was wondering if anyone could recommend me one in europe that's good? Also does a re-shell only improve isolation and fit or does it change the sound? Will custom TF10 cables work with a reshell or will I have to get one for different pins, or does it depend on the company?

Thanks

You should list the companies you have already looked at so people here can steer you in the right direction. Also a budget would help, as for the cable thing, you can have the company doing the reshell use the socket already in the TF10. That way you know the cable will work. For the most part, the sound is not suppose to change.

Oct 25, 2012 at 5:21 AM Post #7,579 of 9,690
Quote:
You should list the companies you have already looked at so people here can steer you in the right direction. Also a budget would help, as for the cable thing, you can have the company doing the reshell use the socket already in the TF10. That way you know the cable will work. For the most part, the sound is not suppose to change.

I looked at two companies in the UK but they were both around £160. I'm leaning more towards InEarZ I think but I've had a look at UM as well. InEarZ seems to have a good reputation on the forum and cheaper than the UK companies. Budget wise I would just like something under $200ish excluding the impressions. Is it good to keep the TF10 socket or does switching out not change much?

Oct 25, 2012 at 10:50 AM Post #7,580 of 9,690
Quote:
I looked at two companies in the UK but they were both around £160. I'm leaning more towards InEarZ I think but I've had a look at UM as well. InEarZ seems to have a good reputation on the forum and cheaper than the UK companies. Budget wise I would just like something under $200ish excluding the impressions. Is it good to keep the TF10 socket or does switching out not change much?

InEarZ is the way to go for lowest price, they are not at the extreme level of quality that other pricier companies are at, but they sure don't suck. I kept the TF10 socket just cause I already had the FiiO cable and knew they would be fine together. I cant answer how changing the socket would affect anything since I haven't done it. Plenty of others have, hopefully they will chime in. All we are talking about anyhow is 2 little holes and 2 little pins, so depending on the cable, some of them you have to modify the pins for a better fit. If you dont already have a cable, you can always go with InEarZ cable for $30 and have them use the socket they recommend.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #7,581 of 9,690
Quote:
InEarZ is the way to go for lowest price, they are not at the extreme level of quality that other pricier companies are at, but they sure don't suck. I kept the TF10 socket just cause I already had the FiiO cable and knew they would be fine together. I cant answer how changing the socket would affect anything since I haven't done it. Plenty of others have, hopefully they will chime in. All we are talking about anyhow is 2 little holes and 2 little pins, so depending on the cable, some of them you have to modify the pins for a better fit. If you dont already have a cable, you can always go with InEarZ cable for $30 and have them use the socket they recommend.

The main reason I was drawn to InEarZ was the price and the fact that they seemed to have a good amount of feedback. I've looked at Cosmic Ears in Sweden as well but I'm unsure if they offer a reshell service. I think the main worry I have at the moment is if I have a problem I have to get them shipped back and forth to another country, I'm going to have to do that though with pretty much every company it seems. I haven't got a custom cable at the moment but I've taken a look at the after market cable thread and thought about investing in one of those as well as the reshell.

Oct 25, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #7,582 of 9,690
Quote:
The main reason I was drawn to InEarZ was the price and the fact that they seemed to have a good amount of feedback. I've looked at Cosmic Ears in Sweden as well but I'm unsure if they offer a reshell service. I think the main worry I have at the moment is if I have a problem I have to get them shipped back and forth to another country, I'm going to have to do that though with pretty much every company it seems. I haven't got a custom cable at the moment but I've taken a look at the after market cable thread and thought about investing in one of those as well as the reshell.

I also went with InEarZ cause of the price. I got in on the group buy and saved $5. We are all at the mercy of international shipping costs by doing business with the companies outside our area. It sucks that there is no way around it, makes your choice pretty simple to stay in a budget. Its all too common to have to get a refit, shipping costs can make it far worse. I had to get one refit, but that was it.

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:13 AM Post #7,583 of 9,690
Whats the life expectancy of a pair of TF10's?

I have a pair in the FS that are 2 years old, and was told that that is way past their life?!

Oct 27, 2012 at 4:33 AM Post #7,584 of 9,690
Quote:

I have a pair in the FS that are 2 years old, and was told that that is way past their life?!

Yeah, 2 years is past their life, I never wish to experiment lol, I just treat them as sensitive IEMs, only for home usage and they are running fine here from 1 and half months. It completely depends on how you take care of TF10.

Ive heard cases where their housings came apart with moderate usage, then reshelling would be the only option..

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:02 AM Post #7,585 of 9,690

What do they mean past their life? I'm not sure the BA drivers would degrade in sound quality over that period would they? I've had my pair for about eight months and they don't sound any different. I'd like to know exactly what they mean by that.

Oct 27, 2012 at 5:58 AM Post #7,586 of 9,690
Mine was before logitech bought UE, how many years is that?

Oct 30, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #7,588 of 9,690
Quote:

Love to see TF10 with new cables, please upload pics

Here you go. I just read through about a hundred of the most recent pages in this thread, and it seems another user had already posted their thoughts on the Custom UE Logitech Cables. He said they were worse than the stock cables, and that he preferred the Westones! Didn't go into any more detail than just that, but I was surprised that he had the exact opposite opinion as mine. Now I'm already getting nervous that my initial listen (overwhelming bass, shrill highs) were actually true...

Anyways, as promised, here are the pics. The first one is the stock cable after I opened it up. Turns out that the end of the earpiece wire was digging into the cables every time it moved, which lead to the way too frequent fraying of the cables near the earpiece.

The second pic shows that I really need to clean my ears more often (sorry for the disgusting earwax), and that the poles on the Custom UE Logitech Cables need to be sanded/filed down before insertion, which I found out after jamming them in with the strength of a thousand horses. There's no way I could pull them back out without damaging the earbuds (saw a bunch of photos of people who had pulled out the sockets entirely while attempting to do so). Makes me wonder what on earth Logitech had designed these for if they were already specifically designated for before September 1, 2010.

So now, I need to decide if getting a portable amp for these is merited. I'm willing to shell out the dough for even a slight improvement in sound quality or soundstage,
but I need to know if amps would actually worsen the sound from these low-impedance IEMs. I know there was a short discussion about amping them a hundred pages or so ago, but there was nothing conclusive.
Right now I'm lookin at the UHA mkII, C421, and O2.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back