Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Oct 19, 2012 at 8:41 AM Post #7,546 of 9,690
Quote:
It was super when I first purchased my TF10, they were the first BA I'd ever heard I was pretty blown away, but as time went on, I tried other IEM's such GR07 MK2, Yamaha EPH-100 I began seeing their flaws. To me the mids are cloudy and you lose a lot of crispness in vocals, there's a lack of bite. Treble however is spot to me bare the wacky timbre. I enjoy them for their detail and energy with EDM. But for acoustic or vocals they sound off.

Reflects my experiences. When I got the SE530 it made my TF10's mids sound really bad. Conversely after listening to the TF10 the SE530's treble and bass felt really absent. It was a vicious cycle of never being really satisfied due to each iem exposing each others' flaws.

After getting the JH13 I realized that the SE530 felt like a better overall iem to me than the TF10, and so the SE530 became a custom (cables had fallen apart) and the TF10 had to go.

I admit though not many BAs can beat the TF10 for EDM.

Oct 19, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #7,547 of 9,690
Quote:
It was super when I first purchased my TF10, they were the first BA I'd ever heard I was pretty blown away, but as time went on, I tried other IEM's such GR07 MK2, Yamaha EPH-100 I began seeing their flaws. To me the mids are cloudy and you lose a lot of crispness in vocals, there's a lack of bite. Treble however is spot to me bare the wacky timbre. I enjoy them for their detail and energy with EDM. But for acoustic or vocals they sound off.

They are awful at resolving sub-bass, so it kind of depends what sort of EDM you listen to. Nice for regular Trance and House, and indeed for other forms of EDM with "regular" bass and electronic kick drums - all as crisp and punchy as could be, but throw them something like Skazi or DeadMau5 and they are not very good at all, for low down grunt.

Oct 19, 2012 at 7:49 PM Post #7,548 of 9,690
They are awful at resolving sub-bass, so it kind of depends what sort of EDM you listen to. Nice for regular Trance and House, and indeed for other forms of EDM with "regular" bass and electronic kick drums - all as crisp and punchy as could be, but throw them something like Skazi or DeadMau5 and they are not very good at all, for low down grunt.

I was more referring to their mid range and treble.

Oct 21, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #7,550 of 9,690
I guess this is more of just a general reshelling question, but when you guys got them reshelled with inearz, did ya'll remove the cable first? Also, will the cable socket be the same as before the reshell? I think TF10 and normal customs use a slightly different socket?

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:00 AM Post #7,551 of 9,690
Quote:
I guess this is more of just a general reshelling question, but when you guys got them reshelled with inearz, did ya'll remove the cable first? Also, will the cable socket be the same as before the reshell? I think TF10 and normal customs use a slightly different socket?

I had InEarZ use the stock TF10 socket. That way I knew my FiiO cable would work.

Oct 21, 2012 at 3:12 AM Post #7,552 of 9,690
Received my Dark Lord upgrade cables yesterday. Impressions: ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)

Yes, it's a nice cable, build and sound quality. I've had mine several months now without a problem. Over the first few weeks it the cable relaxed from being wound up in the plastic bag, and now flops around everywhere.

I had InEarZ use the stock TF10 socket. That way I knew my FiiO cable would work.

Have you ever thought about upgrading to a Dark Lord cable?

Oct 21, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #7,553 of 9,690
Quote:
Yes, it's a nice cable, build and sound quality. I've had mine several months now without a problem. Over the first few weeks it the cable relaxed from being wound up in the plastic bag, and now flops around everywhere.
Have you ever thought about upgrading to a Dark Lord cable?

Upgrade, is an opinion, but no I havent.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:04 AM Post #7,554 of 9,690
Quote:
What kind of discounts are we talking about here?

Dude I don't own them but from what I've heard they promise a better product than JH (probably not possible as I am a JH owner and cannot imagine anything being that much better) for like 25% less cashmoneys...

Dem custom wood panels tho amirite?

The UE900's are out though are those look kinda awesome, and by kinda I mean seriously wicked mega awesome...

Oct 22, 2012 at 1:22 PM Post #7,555 of 9,690
Alright, I guess I owe you guys at least my quick thoughts on the Logitech cables ("Before september 2010" version) for my Triple Fi 10s.

Basic construction is similar to other braided style cables that have taken over the scene lately. Microphonics are as minimal as the stock triple fi cables, thank god. Be sure to have the earpiece bendy tubes curved sufficiently, or the edges of the tubes will rub against your hair and cause some unwanted noise.

The biggest problem with the construction is that it doesn't ****ing fit properly on the triple fis. I knew I should have read the user reviews more carefully. The two pole pieces on the logitech cables are about the same length as the stock cables, but the stock cables have a sort of ridge over them that snaps the plug snugly into the earpieces. This results in the logitech cables having about a millimeter of pole pieces completely exposed, and with no "ridges" or any other structure supporting it, any and all pressure applied to the connection joint will go directly to the poles, causing them to bend way too easily. Fortunately, after a week of regular abuse (no extra special caution), no bending seems to have happened accidentally.

I wish I could comment more on the sound quality. I had been listening through only one ear for like a week, so when I finally got the new cables, it was night and day just hearing from both
Because of this, take my impressions with a grain of salt. What I immediately noticed was the punchiness of the bass. It was almost overwhelming at first, almost as if a subwoofer had been installed in my ears. The treble (around 8khz?) seemed kind of shrill as well, making a big V-shaped sound profile overall. I was nervous as hell about this. All I wanted were the stock cables, the ones I were used to. I gave them a good 2-hour listening session, and as my ears got broken in again(lol), they sounded exactly as I wanted them to. I really don't know if it was just my ears getting acclimated to an actually proper listening environment, or the cables had "broken in." The bass sounded punchy again, and the highs were clear as crystal.

Summary:
- Build: Good. No microphonics. Pole pieces have to be slightly sanded down out of the box, but even if you don't, it doesn't present too big of a risk.
- Sound: Good. Similar to the stock triple fi cables, at least more so than the Westones. Moderate bass boost, and the slightest treble boost over the stock cables (which themselves have an emphasis on bass, with highs muted just enough not to be shrill)

I'll upload pics only if a bunch of you ask for it.

Oct 22, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #7,556 of 9,690
So, I'm getting my impressions done tomorrow morning, and am hoping to drop my tf10s in the mail the same day to fisher. I emailed them, and apparently they use the stock cable socket unless you buy one of their cables. This isn't too bad as I am currently using the stock cable (and I hate it). If I keep the stock socket, I'll probably order a dark lord as they are cheap and h2 and others keep raving about them. Does anyone know if the socket that fisher uses is the same as other big name CIEMs? If I decide not to go with the stock socket, I'd probably use Fisher's $30 cable, but I might want to upgrade one day, and the fact that I could potentially use that new cable on future customs would be a big bonus.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:07 PM Post #7,557 of 9,690
Oct 22, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #7,558 of 9,690
The Fisher socket is the same as Westone/JH/UE Custom socket, it's bigger than the stock TF10 socket..
Quote:
So, I'm getting my impressions done tomorrow morning, and am hoping to drop my tf10s in the mail the same day to fisher. I emailed them, and apparently they use the stock cable socket unless you buy one of their cables. This isn't too bad as I am currently using the stock cable (and I hate it). If I keep the stock socket, I'll probably order a dark lord as they are cheap and h2 and others keep raving about them. Does anyone know if the socket that fisher uses is the same as other big name CIEMs? I'd probably use Fisher's $30 cable, but I might want to upgrade one day, and the fact that I could potentially use that new cable on future customs would be a big bonus.

Oct 22, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #7,559 of 9,690
Yeah, I haven't really followed the Heir thread much since I got my JH16..the wood and horn faceplates look very nice, and I also like the way they do the carbon fiber, but it would really have to be something compelling to get me to change from my JH..The UE900 looks nice, but I really don't want to put $400 down, since I've only got $140 in my TF10 with the reshell and I'm using it as my gym phone.
Quote:

Dude I don't own them but from what I've heard they promise a better product than JH (probably not possible as I am a JH owner and cannot imagine anything being that much better) for like 25% less cashmoneys...

Dem custom wood panels tho amirite?

The UE900's are out though are those look kinda awesome, and by kinda I mean seriously wicked mega awesome...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back