Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 13, 2012 at 6:24 PM Post #5,596 of 9,690

Quote:
Hi again guys.

I'm thinking of recabling my TF 10's. Question is what is the best value for money choice? I'm not willing to spend a whole lot of money.

My Fiio cable is suppose to arrive within the next few hours.

http://www.miccastore.com/fiio-rcue1-replacement-cable-for-earphones-p-75.html

Jan 13, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #5,600 of 9,690
To anyone that has the FiiO cable, does it help improve the SQ at all or is it just cosmetic?

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #5,603 of 9,690
Well the way he described the FiiO's sound signature I don't see myself getting it as I like the detail of the TF10 already and don't want a warmer less analytical sound.  Thanks for posting the review though.

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:12 PM Post #5,604 of 9,690

Quote:
Well, the mail came and went, even though tracking said is was out for delivery, it didnt arrive. Just what I needed, to start thinking its lost.

"Out for Delivery", if it is the US Postal Service, doesn't mean anything any more.  The last two months have seen a lot of problems with the delivery that we were used to in the past.  I had it take 24 days for First Class Mail from Minnesota to Arizona, typical now.  All of my Priority Mail is now 5 - 7 days instead of 1-3.  I have returns that haven't tracked a move in USPS system since Jan 4. 

Now I'm ranting, but the USPS is going bankrupt and they are eliminating distributiion centers and employees.

Sorry for the OT, just don't expect things to get better soon!

Jan 13, 2012 at 9:16 PM Post #5,605 of 9,690

Quote:
"Out for Delivery", if it is the US Postal Service, doesn't mean anything any more.  The last two months have seen a lot of problems with the delivery that we were used to in the past.  I had it take 24 days for First Class Mail from Minnesota to Arizona, typical now.  All of my Priority Mail is now 5 - 7 days instead of 1-3.  I have returns that haven't tracked a move in USPS system since Jan 4. 

Now I'm ranting, but the USPS is going bankrupt and they are eliminating distributiion centers and employees.

Sorry for the OT, just don't expect things to get better soon!

Cant speak for anyone else, but tracking for me has been accurate. The estimated delivery is tomorrow, but seeing it was out for delivery today gave me hope, then it got crushed. I wont be home tomorrow when it arrives ( knock on wood ) so I cant run it through its paces till Sunday.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:04 PM Post #5,606 of 9,690
I don't know it there was a huge difference in SQ, but I do like the Westone's flexibility... it hangs like a silk thread with no memory whatsoever.  The stock UE cables got hard within a year and I wasn't privy to this website by the time I'd ordered more, much to the same effect in about as long.

No, the Westone's don't fit exactly, but the thread here that convinced me to try them explained very clearly how to trim the tips and make it fit (though the pin diameter is larger and you won't be able to go back to stock afterwards, also mentioned in that thread)

In another thread here, two users have already had pins break off in their TripleFi's sockets with the Fiio cable, rendering them useless.  I'm not bashing Fiio - I own several of their products, am happy with them - but just passing along the info in case you hadn't heard it.

Jan 13, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #5,607 of 9,690

Quote:
To anyone that has the FiiO cable, does it help improve the SQ at all or is it just cosmetic?

As far as cables go: They are cosmetic, come in different lengths, and have different terminations. In my experience (and I've tried several from $15 radio shack cables to some $300 ones at CanJam,) they don't make a difference. Testing also suggests that cables have never made a difference.

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:29 PM Post #5,608 of 9,690

Quote:
I don't know it there was a huge difference in SQ, but I do like the Westone's flexibility... it hangs like a silk thread with no memory whatsoever.  The stock UE cables got hard within a year and I wasn't privy to this website by the time I'd ordered more, much to the same effect in about as long.

No, the Westone's don't fit exactly, but the thread here that convinced me to try them explained very clearly how to trim the tips and make it fit (though the pin diameter is larger and you won't be able to go back to stock afterwards, also mentioned in that thread)

In another thread here, two users have already had pins break off in their TripleFi's sockets with the Fiio cable, rendering them useless.  I'm not bashing Fiio - I own several of their products, am happy with them - but just passing along the info in case you hadn't heard it.

I have been using the Chris_Himself cable for the last month....the pins on this cable are a "perfect fit", they stay put in the TF 10, no worry about the pins being too large, you will still be able to go back to the stock cable, no problems.  Chris_Himself is a great guy with some great products.  And the cable after 50hrs, brings the sound of the TF 10 to the next level.  I had the Null Audio Lune cable for twice the money, needless to say I sold the Lune in favor of the Chris_Himself silver offering!

Jan 13, 2012 at 11:39 PM Post #5,609 of 9,690
I too am currently using the Chris_Himself cable and 100% back this product. It brings out the mids of the tf10 as well as defines the bass a little bit more. Also it is true that the cable sounds great after about 50 hours of burn in, but chris says that it really shines with about 200 hours of burn in. I would recommend this cable to ANYONE in this forum. And also it is made by our own headfier who is great at customer service and will answer any question that you have for him.

Quote:

I have been using the Chris_Himself cable for the last month....the pins on this cable are a "perfect fit", they stay put in the TF 10, no worry about the pins being too large, you will still be able to go back to the stock cable, no problems.  Chris_Himself is a great guy with some great products.  And the cable after 50hrs, brings the sound of the TF 10 to the next level.  I had the Null Audio Lune cable for twice the money, needless to say I sold the Lune in favor of the Chris_Himself silver offering!

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:13 AM Post #5,610 of 9,690
I have a hard time believing this talk of cables improving the sound. Science (reality, blind testing, etc.) aside, looking at those pictures on Chris' blog, it seems that I've tried several similar if not identical products at CanJam 2010. I heard no difference, neither with my own headphones (Koss KDE/250), nor the Beyerdynamic DT770 and 880's which I also tried recabled.

I guess this will probably go downhill from here as people testify that they hear differences that can't be tested. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back