Ultimate Ears Triple Fi 10 Thread
Jan 14, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #5,611 of 9,690

Quote:
I have a hard time believing this talk of cables improving the sound. Science (reality, blind testing, etc.) aside, looking at those pictures on Chris' blog, it seems that I've tried several similar if not identical products at CanJam 2010. I heard no difference, neither with my own headphones (Koss KDE/250), nor the Beyerdynamic DT770 and 880's which I also tried recabled.

I guess this will probably go downhill from here as people testify that they hear differences that can't be tested. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.

Science proves cables affect sound. Music is transmitted to the transducer via electronic signals. Each portion of the signal travels at different speeds. High quality cables allow them through with the least possible resistance, which is interpreted as better sound. The issue, IMO, isn't whether the cables affect sound. My problem is with the price some companies try to charge.

Jan 14, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #5,612 of 9,690
Most aftermarket cables are overpriced. "High Quality" doesn't always equate to better sound. 

What the cable will affect is resistance, it may decrease or increase the impedance of the IEM. For multi BAs like the TF10 an increase in impedance is not desired as it will roll off frequencies and perhaps make it warmer. With a decrease you may a brighter signature since there's less dampening. Some will find certain changes "better", but what's technically better is what's more linear and coherent in my book and until there's solid proof (graphs), call me skeptical. For now, I will call these sonic changes merely sidesteps to the stock sound. We sometimes perceive new signatures as better than the previous one when one becomes familiar with the norm, doesn't necessarily mean it is better. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #5,613 of 9,690

I've found that pure silver cable can indeed improve sound quality and certain aspects of the sound. I know that there are many cables out there that are way overpriced. That doesn't mean you can't find reasonably affordable alternatives and still reap the benefits. I also find it possible to ruin your synergy with a rig based on upgrading a cable. So it doesn't always mean upgrading a cable will yield an improvement. In my case though it was a noticeable improvement and has made me a believer (although I was highly skeptical myself at first). I for one would not re-cable my open-back denon 5000s and with silver cable for that matter. It would turn them into sibilant monsters if I did.... They are already at the threshold for having too much treble as is and to add any more would ruin them.
Quote:
Most aftermarket cables are overpriced. "High Quality" doesn't always equate to better sound. 

What the cable will affect is resistance, it may decrease or increase the impedance of the IEM. For multi BAs like the TF10 an increase in impedance is not desired as it will roll off frequencies and perhaps make it warmer. With a decrease you may a brighter signature since there's less dampening. Some will find certain changes "better", but what's technically better is what's more linear and coherent in my book and until there's solid proof (graphs), call me skeptical. For now, I will call these sonic changes merely sidesteps to the stock sound. We sometimes perceive new signatures as better than the previous one when one becomes familiar with the norm, doesn't necessarily mean it is better. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:16 AM Post #5,615 of 9,690

Quote:
I like to think the TF10 already have a good cable, at least in a sound aspect. I wouldnt expect this from a cheap pair of phones.

The TF10s have a noticeable recession in the mid range and the silver cable can help to remedy this issue. The cable is pretty pathetic as well. Compared to my IE80 cable the TF10 cable is a joke and is in no way durable. I found that with less than a week of usage the cable had already started to get damaged at the socket connections. This is not acceptable for an IEM that has an MSRP of $400.00. Thank goodness that they made it replaceable. Otherwise this IEM would have very bad ratings...

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:21 AM Post #5,616 of 9,690

Quote:
The TF10s have a noticeable recession in the mid range and the silver cable can help to remedy this issue. The cable is pretty pathetic as well. Compared to my IE80 cable the TF10 cable is a joke and is in no way durable. I found that with less than a week of usage the cable had already started to get damaged at the socket connections. This is not acceptable for an IEM that has an MSRP of $400.00. Thank goodness that they made it replaceable. Otherwise this IEM would have very bad ratings...

I have a FiiO cable coming, only bought it cause of the possible durability issues and the fact it sucks for getting tangled etc.

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:24 AM Post #5,617 of 9,690
The cable is average. 

Have you compared the two? stock vs silver cable? TF10's midhighs are dipped,  it's lower mids are fine so completey recessed isn't what I'll necessarily call it. Would be interesting if the cable affects that midhigh region. With a cable with less resistance I do suspect less bass which will bring out more clarity in the lower mids. 

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #5,618 of 9,690

Quote:
The cable is average. 

Have you compared the two? stock vs silver cable? TF10's midhighs are dipped,  it's lower mids are fine so completey recessed isn't what I'll necessarily call it. Would be interesting if the cable affects that midhigh region. With a cable with less resistance I do suspect less bass which will bring out more clarity in the lower mids. 

Not necessarily less bass but more defined and cleaner, tighter if you will. I would assume it would add more treble extension as well as silver cable is notorious for affecting this region the most. Regardless I opted for the Cleaer 48 UE cable for my Custom TF10s as it looks super nice (guess I'm into bling lol) and my sources balance out the recessed mid range anyways so :).

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:29 AM Post #5,619 of 9,690
People think Monster cables make things sound better, they also think Bose is great.
popcorn.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:33 AM Post #5,620 of 9,690

Quote:
People think Monster cables make things sound better, they also think Bose is great.
popcorn.gif

Yea I was telling my cousin and uncle today that bose is utter crap. They were shocked I said that lol. I'm like bose is not quality. You are buying a name not quality.
rolleyes.gif

Jan 14, 2012 at 1:48 AM Post #5,622 of 9,690
Not necessarily less bass but more defined and cleaner, tighter if you will. I would assume it would add more treble extension as well as silver cable is notorious for affecting this region the most. Regardless I opted for the Cleaer 48 UE cable for my Custom TF10s as it looks super nice (guess I'm into bling lol) and my sources balance out the recessed mid range anyways so :).

"Defined" is broad, you mean more linear? Defined? more subbass? Less bass weight does mean it be tighter and cleaner, it's the nature of the response. If the punch "midbass' is a bit tamed but the subbass is more linear then I can see where you are going but it will be surprising to find such a coincidental change as the changes in resistance aren't always so nicely laid out 

Jan 14, 2012 at 4:08 AM Post #5,623 of 9,690

Quote:
Yea I was telling my cousin and uncle today that bose is utter crap. They were shocked I said that lol. I'm like bose is not quality. You are buying a name not quality.
rolleyes.gif

I wouldn't say crap, I like BOSE signature, with proper EQing it really shines, my car comes factory standard with 10 speakers BOSE and it sounds better than some of my friend who install a custom $10,000+ system - the problem is that its IEM, docks, and wireless music systems are way overprice, that's all, sound wise, I always love its signature

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #5,624 of 9,690
I use my IEM's as a grappling hook. The stock ones are good for reaching about 10' high rain gutters, but the fun REALLY starts when you strap on the Grado 6' extension, you'll be scaling rooftops you never thought possible! You guys thinking "improved high end" means treble have it all wrong.

Jan 14, 2012 at 7:58 AM Post #5,625 of 9,690
Are these the best earphones you can get for the £100 mark? As my Brainwavz M2's have started to break. Also how long do these earphones last roughly before they start braking?

I listen mainly to Rock/Metal.

Thanks. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back