Top-Tier Universal IEM Comparison Chart, Frequency Response Charts, & Discussion
Mar 18, 2010 at 6:41 AM Post #316 of 785
@ james & search, thanks for your support
smily_headphones1.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@joe: have you gotten your e-Q7 yet to have any impressions on them so far?

you can put me down for the CK10. Of those on the list I currently own the CK10 and e-Q7 and I have owned the Triple.Fi 10 previously. Do you need me to post thoughts about them or not since most of what I think about them has pretty much been covered in your chart.

Yes, I received them and am trying to figure out the best tips. So, while they sound very good in many respects, I am not sure I am getting the best sound out of them yet.

And thanks for the info and I will add you to the chart. I plan on diving into the strengths/weaknesses and sound signatures once my I finally finish my review.

Mar 18, 2010 at 7:03 AM Post #317 of 785
OK, so I think I finally found the right tips for my e-Q7!!! After trying what, 20 different tips and a few getting some stuck in my ear (a special thanks to tweezers) and with all the talk about the Sennheiser double-flange lately (which, while working OK for me, just didn't do it) I remembered I bought some smaller double-flange from lelong_auction (Unfortunately lelong is no longer on ebay as someone hacked into his account. Hope he is back soon). So, they are pretty much the same as the Senn tips, but softer and much more comfortable for me
smily_headphones1.gif

I still have to give it the test of time, but this seems promising.

Edit: I think I found an even better tip...the Monster Cable new white super tip (thanks to search that sent them to tstarn06, who sent them to me)
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:55 PM Post #319 of 785
After 2 years with my beloved triple.fi now I prefer the Monster Pro Copper from the Dell deal. Still going thru break in but I am in awe. I listen to Metal a lot and these are the perfect universal IEM for Metal for me. Kick drums go very low!! Slayer's "Reing in blood" sounds like if somebody just did a new remaster.

Mar 18, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #320 of 785
Mar 18, 2010 at 8:00 PM Post #321 of 785
Mar 18, 2010 at 9:05 PM Post #323 of 785
Joe, sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your thread. Great job by the way:

Top Tier I own: e-Q7, Copper, IE8

Top Tier I've owned: SE530

Oppose to it being Top Tier: UE TF10

Almost Top Tier: HF5 and IE7

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:00 AM Post #324 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by average_joe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Must be lelong. And these are the tips, Double Flange Earbuds for Sennheiser CX300 CX400 CX500.

@ eat2na: The Copper is great with so many genres, not just metal, but I know what you mean!

@ Average_Joe, how are the UE double flanges and the Senn double flanges on the coppers versus the PFE tips?

Also, this thread has really worked out, huh?

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #325 of 785
@ rawrster, the senn double flange knockoffs for the e-Q7 tips? The stock and Sony's don't really work for me with the e-Q7.

@ ericp10 - thanks

@ kunlun - the UE bi-flange are close to the PFE, but the PFE give a little more laid back presentation with a slightly larger stage. The Senn double (well, the knockoffs as they were within reach) are too short for the Copper and the nozzle pokes my ears! Plus, they don't seal well.

And I am going to remove the against column in the next chart, just the for...

Mar 19, 2010 at 3:08 AM Post #326 of 785
I own the GR8 and love them, definitely top tier. Great mids and highs, and the bass is actually much better than one would expect, quite balanced actually. And they don't fatigue at all. Also a good portable amp brings out the best in them.

Mar 19, 2010 at 12:58 PM Post #327 of 785
Put in my vote for the PS200. The treble is extremely detailed with punchy (but not too strong) bass, yet the earphone sounds very balanced and musical. I own the Etymotic ER6 and Monster Turbine, and find the former to be very detailed, but lacking bass, and not smooth or musical. The latter has much more bass and is smoother and musical, but loses out in treble extension, detail and crispness. I find the Phiatons successfully combine both my other IEMs' merits, and have a much wider soundstage than either of them. (Plus, they look cool.) Sadly, to be honest I don't own any other IEMs on the chart, but I did try the SE530, IE8, UE700 and X5, much preferring the PS200s.

The SE530s' debilitating treble rolloff was a let-down, although the mids were much nicer (not to say the PS200 mids are bad by any means).
The PS200s' bass was much more precise and detailed than the IE8s, which I found very thumpy and slow, albeit smoother and fuller.
Compared to the UE700s, it sounded like there was a hole through which the mids fell through; vocals were recessed, which bothered me.
With the X5, although they were very fast and precise, there was a significant loss of treble extension and crispness.

Some things left to be desired are a stingy lack of accessories - only Earsonics will give you less extras. Also, as is typical of balanced armatures, truly powerful and impactful bass is best left to dynamic-driver earphones. I definitely plan on writing a full review sometime soon.

Mar 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM Post #328 of 785
SM2 = speed...Well it's a quite unusual rating, and owning grado GR8, the SM2 (ans SM3) as well mid are far better.
Typical long and precise highs, defined and warm medium and energic bass. (probably more accurate and precise on SM3).

Both belong to the top tier universal IEM

Mar 19, 2010 at 7:27 PM Post #329 of 785
average_joe,

Very cool chart.

Please add me to the list of supporters for the CK10's.

IEMs I currently own: Ety ER6; IE8; CK10; CK100.

IEMs owned previously: Vibes; Bose IEs; Ety ER4B; ER4P; ER4S; Shure E500; Shure SE530; UE 5 Pros; UE 5 EB; IE8.

Thanks.

'Dwebe

Mar 20, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #330 of 785
Thank you all for your input so far. I have moved the PS200 to the top-tier category as it seems like it is close to the CK10, but with a bit of a different presentation.

I also moved the SM3 to top-tier status since it is supposedly better than the SM2, and the SM2 is in the top-tier chart (of course I have to take people's word on this
smily_headphones1.gif
).

I have some blank spots in the chart I was hoping people could help me with:
- Weaknesses of the MCTP Gold
- Sound sig and weaknesses of the MC Miles Davis IEM
- GR8 weaknesses
- Please speak out if you have had fit issues with the e-Q7, I am trying to get a better handle on this.
- CK100 sound signature, and are there any supporters?
- SM2/SM3 weaknesses and sound signature as well as how easy are they to drive?

Quote:

Originally Posted by 12345142 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Put in my vote for the PS200. The treble is extremely detailed with punchy (but not too strong) bass, yet the earphone sounds very balanced and musical. I own the Etymotic ER6 and Monster Turbine, and find the former to be very detailed, but lacking bass, and not smooth or musical. The latter has much more bass and is smoother and musical, but loses out in treble extension, detail and crispness. I find the Phiatons successfully combine both my other IEMs' merits, and have a much wider soundstage than either of them. (Plus, they look cool.) Sadly, to be honest I don't own any other IEMs on the chart, but I did try the SE530, IE8, UE700 and X5, much preferring the PS200s.

The SE530s' debilitating treble rolloff was a let-down, although the mids were much nicer (not to say the PS200 mids are bad by any means).
The PS200s' bass was much more precise and detailed than the IE8s, which I found very thumpy and slow, albeit smoother and fuller.
Compared to the UE700s, it sounded like there was a hole through which the mids fell through; vocals were recessed, which bothered me.
With the X5, although they were very fast and precise, there was a significant loss of treble extension and crispness.

Some things left to be desired are a stingy lack of accessories - only Earsonics will give you less extras. Also, as is typical of balanced armatures, truly powerful and impactful bass is best left to dynamic-driver earphones. I definitely plan on writing a full review sometime soon.

Thank you, info added.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zeo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
SM2 = speed...Well it's a quite unusual rating, and owning grado GR8, the SM2 (ans SM3) as well mid are far better.
Typical long and precise highs, defined and warm medium and energic bass. (probably more accurate and precise on SM3).

Both belong to the top tier universal IEM

Thank you for the info. For clarification, you own all 3 (GR8, SM2, SM3)? Which has far better mids, the GR8 or SM2/SM3? And your description is of the SM2 for the precise highs, defined and warm mids, etc?

Quote:

Originally Posted by AudioDwebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
average_joe,

Very cool chart.

Please add me to the list of supporters for the CK10's.

IEMs I currently own: Ety ER6; IE8; CK10; CK100.

IEMs owned previously: Vibes; Bose IEs; Ety ER4B; ER4P; ER4S; Shure E500; Shure SE530; UE 5 Pros; UE 5 EB; IE8.

Thanks.

'Dwebe

Thanks, glad you like the chart. Info added!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back