Top-Tier Universal IEM Comparison Chart, Frequency Response Charts, & Discussion
Mar 15, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #287 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
average_joe, I may have missed it but what didn't you like about the UM3X? Maybe I am just getting used to them now but right now the soundstage doesn't sound too bad, the frequency is pretty flat besides a bump in the vocal range(not as forward as the W2 though) as well as having very good texture, cymbals and guitars both sounds realistic. I was just wondering what your gripe with it was...?

Also, while we are at it, I'm getting the Monster Turbine Copper soon, what tips would you suggest? My problem with the gold was that they don't go in deep enough(I have shallow ear canal, which does fine with most phones) and are prone to falling out or losing seal.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

Hi playingwithfire, I'm not average_joe, but I wanted to let you know that the MTPCopper has the same size housing as the MTPGold, so you might have the same issues. Without a good seal, as we all know, sound quality and isolation suffer badly, so maybe it's something to think about. Search_never_ends found the smaller housing of the Monster Miles Davis worked a bit better for him.

In any case, there's a lot of eartip discussion on the MTPC thread, but I'd say the biggest possible issue with the MTPC is finding a tip you can really get good sound and good fit with. Joe, me and a few others like the phonak grey silicons, but they are pretty fiddly. I think eric10 liked the auvio (which I like as well). Search_never_ends liked the senn double flanges.

Mar 16, 2010 at 12:04 AM Post #288 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Makes me want to try out the PL50's

Easily the best imaging in it's price range. Easily.
I've listened to very high-end speakers (easily into the thousands of dollars) and the HD800 so I know a little bit about imaging :p
It's not even close to those but neither is the pricetag
wink.gif
but for the price, the PL-50 has the best imaging for an in-ear easily.

Mar 16, 2010 at 1:19 AM Post #289 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by ben4345 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Portland, Or
32 Ohm Audio

I also live in Portland and bought my GR8s at 32 Ohm. I spent several hours one day trying almost all the IEMs they had and found the GR8 to be my favorite out of them all, though totally unexpected.

Personally, I wouldn't oppose the top tier status of any of them after only listening to them for less than an hour in store. It's really not a fair thing to do without having owned them. There are some that I didn't like either in the store, but I'm not going to put my name on the Oppose list due to not having sufficient time with them.

The GR8s took some time to open up and after a couple weeks they completely blew my mind like the demo pair did in the store. For some reason, people who haven't owned them keep bashing them here and because of that they are, unfortunately, under appreciated. The bass, mids and treble are very well balanced actually so I would classify them as transparent. And they aren't at all fatiguing like Grado headphones. The soundstage/imaging is also very good. I'm always amazed listening to old Porcupine Tree when everything is way outside my head. Sometimes, I think they might be actually too revealing though. For instance, I can actually hear the sound of a piano string vibrating, but is this really a problem? It's an amazing accomplishment for an IEM is what it really is. They sound so smooth that sometimes I can and do listen to them all day long. I will say though that just like top tier headphones, one should take care to pair them well with the right portable amp. For example, to my ears they sound much better with my ibasso T3 than my D4 which is twice the price. The bass is much more pronounced with the T3 for some reason, more in balance with the highs and mids. With the D4 they are less transparent. So pairing is important.

All this being said, IMHO the GR8 is definitely top tier. I really wish more people would buy and try them like they do other gear, because I'm sure the popular opinion of them would be completely different.

P.S. I used my own rig in store listening to the same 2 excellent recordings in order to do the best test possible and ended up walking out with the last IEMs I thought I would.

Mar 16, 2010 at 4:57 AM Post #290 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also live in Portland and bought my GR8s at 32 Ohm. I spent several hours one day trying almost all the IEMs they had and found the GR8 to be my favorite out of them all, though totally unexpected.

Personally, I wouldn't oppose the top tier status of any of them after only listening to them for less than an hour in store. It's really not a fair thing to do without having owned them. There are some that I didn't like either in the store, but I'm not going to put my name on the Oppose list due to not having sufficient time with them.

The GR8s took some time to open up and after a couple weeks they completely blew my mind like the demo pair did in the store. For some reason, people who haven't owned them keep bashing them here and because of that they are, unfortunately, under appreciated. The bass, mids and treble are very well balanced actually so I would classify them as transparent. And they aren't at all fatiguing like Grado headphones. The soundstage/imaging is also very good. I'm always amazed listening to old Porcupine Tree when everything is way outside my head. Sometimes, I think they might be actually too revealing though. For instance, I can actually hear the sound of a piano string vibrating, but is this really a problem? It's an amazing accomplishment for an IEM is what it really is. They sound so smooth that sometimes I can and do listen to them all day long. I will say though that just like top tier headphones, one should take care to pair them well with the right portable amp. For example, to my ears they sound much better with my ibasso T3 than my D4 which is twice the price. The bass is much more pronounced with the T3 for some reason, more in balance with the highs and mids. With the D4 they are less transparent. So pairing is important.

All this being said, IMHO the GR8 is definitely top tier. I really wish more people would buy and try them like they do other gear, because I'm sure the popular opinion of them would be completely different.

P.S. I used my own rig in store listening to the same 2 excellent recordings in order to do the best test possible and ended up walking out with the last IEMs I thought I would.

Sounds fun. What else did you try?

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:09 AM Post #291 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds fun. What else did you try?

From what I can remember, W1, W3, IE7, IE8, PK3, iGi, some Monsters can't remember which, Ortofon can't remember which, REO, and some others can't remember lol. It's been a few months. I'm still very happy with the GR8 purchase. I kept going back to them. They were definitley stand outs.

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:39 AM Post #292 of 785
guess you could put me on the opposing side of the tf10. The more i listen to it, the more i can't justify that its as good as other iems. Which pushed me into buying the coppers
biggrin.gif
!

Mar 16, 2010 at 5:43 AM Post #293 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by dongringo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what I can remember, W1, W3, IE7, IE8, PK3, iGi, some Monsters can't remember which, Ortofon can't remember which, REO, and some others can't remember lol. It's been a few months. I'm still very happy with the GR8 purchase. I kept going back to them. They were definitley stand outs.

There is only one for Ortofon currently, the e-Q7
normal_smile .gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 7:30 AM Post #295 of 785
Chart updated again a little. If you have your name in the chart, you should have your info at the bottom of the chart with IEMs owned (on the chart) etc. I am not going to add people unless I know what they have heard from now on (and will append later when I can).

Quote:

Originally Posted by playingwithfire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also, while we are at it, I'm getting the Monster Turbine Copper soon, what tips would you suggest? My problem with the gold was that they don't go in deep enough(I have shallow ear canal, which does fine with most phones) and are prone to falling out or losing seal.

Thanks
smily_headphones1.gif

@ Kunlun thanks for answering for me...I just missed that and you brought it back to my attention and answered it well. My 0.02...

The Copper was a female dog to get good positioning, but now it takes much less time, which I suspect is from repeated insert and pull outs. The PFE tips are by far the best for me as they seem to balance the treble just right. The auvio sound OK but are harder to fit than the PFE tips. All other tips (and I have tried oh so many) have had some downfall for my ears, from too much bass to creating a disjointed sound from right to left.

Maybe part of my new found fit ease is since I am doing an 8 way review of the Copper and doing a lot of A/Bing. (I am hoping to have it posted by Saturday night).

Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@joe-
The MD's should be top of the heap if you're going by the comments of those supporters you've noted. They've both said the MD's sound noticeably better than the other two.

The chart is in no particular order, and I am getting the feel that the MD is something special. I heard the MD at CES fresh out of the box and it sounded grainy, but I guess it breaks in well. While the Copper is great IMO out of the box.

Plus, I was told by MC that the MD isn't designed to be on the same level as the Copper or Gold, but is more a tribute. I don't really know, as I have not had the pleasure of hearing the MD. But some of the owners I do know really enjoy the MD.

Mar 16, 2010 at 8:24 AM Post #296 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Easily the best imaging in it's price range. Easily.
I've listened to very high-end speakers (easily into the thousands of dollars) and the HD800 so I know a little bit about imaging :p
It's not even close to those but neither is the pricetag
wink.gif
but for the price, the PL-50 has the best imaging for an in-ear easily.

x2 the PL-50 is every bit as stunning for the cash as the RE-0 is. full of creamy, buttery, midy goodness

Mar 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM Post #297 of 785
sorry for getting back late. hectic few days at school. i own the ck10s, and i've listened to my friends IE8, TF10, and Bose inear
tongue.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #298 of 785
Quote:

Originally Posted by JeFFz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
guess you could put me on the opposing side of the tf10. The more i listen to it, the more i can't justify that its as good as other iems. Which pushed me into buying the coppers
biggrin.gif
!

I could agree with you on that if the TF10 is listened to alone. However, if you have a bunch of these other IEMs in front of you and keep swapping between them and then back to the TF10, the TF10 will always show you time and time again that it is more refined and better balanced and typically sounds better on a broader spectrum of audio. Alone, the TF10 comes across as meh just because it doesn't really do things off the wall. It will always show you how good it is every time you step to it from something else back to it, but it's so hard to perceive just playing it alone.

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:18 PM Post #299 of 785
Quote:

The Copper was a female dog to get good positioning

I was quite puzzled by that sentence until I realized that head-fi probably has some kind of filter that changes words, I am now pretty sure you typed in a word that starts with b and ends with h
icon10.gif

Mar 16, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #300 of 785
this thread is like a massive iem shopping list..i kinda want to try out some of these that im interested in now..if only i could afford more than what i just bought recently

Users who are viewing this thread

Back