There's Something About Ultrasone…
Aug 17, 2007 at 12:11 AM Post #4,276 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The drivers has some ports on the back of the enclosure, and on the back of the magnet (not the cup), they close or open them depending on which model they will be used...Aslo IIRC the cup front panel, has come holes that they use like the aperiodic port of the spekers, as well, now don't ask me how, as that is a secret recipe from them, and BTW, I have seen a lot of unaccuaracy regarding that information, and the pics posted should be from one model and are from another, etc...

Thanks Sovkiller.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #4,277 of 5,942
Quote:

Just a little of a preview, don't complain later on!!!

untitled.jpg

Owwww! That's just wrong!
icon10.gif

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:30 AM Post #4,279 of 5,942
oh god stop quoting the picture...my eyes my eyes.

(Goes to look in the mirror)
Now I feel like Adonis.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:38 AM Post #4,280 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank's Hardwired,

I was afraid (mainly for the sake of my poor wallet) that the Edition 9 might be as good or even better than my D2000 and DX1000. I find your comparison very helpful indeed, now I've got a very good idea of how the Edition 9 sounds. My wallet is hiding
icon10.gif

Edition 9 seems to have a very good bass (which is important to me, that's one of the reason why I like D2000 and DX1000 so much). What about the 650 and 750, how do they compare?

It's been a long time since I heard the Ultrasone 650 against the 750. As I recall the 650 had decent bass. I've owned 2 pairs of 750s and I would call the 750 bass very good, especially in comparison the the other top 2nd tier headphones I've heard. It's probably (been a long time and the audio memory starts to fade) a deeper bass than my current Senn 650s. And in other areas as well, I find the 750 to have more refinement and detail than the Ultrasone 650.

But just about nothing comes close to the killer, to die for bass of the Edition 9s. The only thing to compete for me was the L-3000 bass, and my Edition 9s weren't burned in at the time I listened against the L-3000.

The Edition 9s do everything significantly better (in my world that means readily apparent but not night/day) than the 750s, which I still think are a very good headphone. The issue with the Edition 9s are the additional cost (well worth it for me) and the availability. You'd better check on that availibility as last I heard they were out of stock in the US. And there has even been some speculation that the unlimited production of Edition 9s, may not be totally unlimited.

Unless you can get a lead on a pair of Edition 9s, you might want to buy the 750 now. If you find that you generally like the 750s but find them to have some "flaws", I wouldn't worry about that because most of the "flaws" are fixed in the Edition 9s. If you generally like the 750 sound, then order the Edition 9s now and later sell the 750s.

Now if your reference (you own or listen to extensively) is one of the very top tier dynamic headphones such as the R-10 or HE-90, then the Edition 9s while nice, may not blow you away. IMO if you own something like a Qualia, or L-3000, or PS-1, then the Edition 9s are on about the same level but just a different flavor/presentation. Again IMO, if you don't fall into those two categories (most of us), I suspect the Edition 9s would be a major step up and likely to be one of the best, if not the best, headphone you've ever owned.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #4,281 of 5,942
What I really want to say about Edition 9s (to add to the top poster), and what I mean to say in my review in due time is - Edition 9 is not about the wow-factor. R10 and HE90 both have a good deal of wow factor - Edition 9 does not. It does not mean Edition 9 is not extremely detailed, it does not mean Edition 9 is not very accurate, or not even engaging. The main theme with it is that it won't make you go like 'wow, this aspect is awesome'. Its when you start paying attention to everything that you understand that everything is right about this headphone, and it does not try to attain the high-end sound through colorations to emphasize certain aspects of music. It will present everything in the most neutral sense it can, and that alone is enough to make music amazingly satisfying. There are 2 headphones that will also attempt to do the same thing - HD600 and Omega 2. Former needs a powerful balanced rig, latter needs an even more powerful rig, which will innately be balanced. Edition 9 succeeds with a mere Stello DA100 and iBasso t2 on my desk, and will also gladly scale up with higher end components.

Hopefully thats pretty much all people need to know about Edition 9, but in due time I'll try to unveil alot more refined thoughts.

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:51 AM Post #4,282 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by guitarplayer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where did you find that picture of me?
biggrin.gif

Lee

Hey Lee, I did'nt know you were so patriotic?

Aug 17, 2007 at 4:24 AM Post #4,283 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dexdexter /img/forum/go_quote.gif
In which case you two should get along famously, Allen. The 2200s are quite possibly my favorite phones for reggae, since there are so few "audiophile" recordings in that genre. So smooth, deep bass, and their brownish/orangy color scheme is of course a perfect mood-setter.
biggrin.gif

Just be sure to give the 2200s a good 150-200 hours burn-in and you will be very well rewarded for your trouble!
hfi2200ulezr6.png

Received my 2200s today and am already well pleased with them. Real bass (in comparison to my AKG phones.) Sounded a little different when I first put them on but seem to be rapidly acclimating my ears to them. Spent an hour or so listening to some MP3s with them and like what I hear so far, but will let them burn in with pink noise for a while. They certainly have some clamping force and are the first headphone I've had that felt that way to me. The Grados I've had (225 and 325i) never bothered me at all.

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:27 AM Post #4,284 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It will present everything in the most neutral sense it can, and that alone is enough to make music amazingly satisfying. There are 2 headphones that will also attempt to do the same thing - HD600 and Omega 2.

Comparing the ed9 to the hd600, one of them has got to be far from neutral...or did I misread your post..?

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:31 AM Post #4,285 of 5,942
Quote:

Just a little of a preview, don't complain later on!!!
untitled.jpg

When I imagine the pink cable in there, it just finishes the pic
tongue.gif

Since I have never seen you...is that really you or just a random pic..?
If it is you, it must be from your stripper days right
wink.gif

(sorry Stas if I make your eyes hurt again
tongue.gif
)

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:47 AM Post #4,286 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Comparing the ed9 to the hd600, one of them has got to be far from neutral...or did I misread your post..?

You misread. HD600 is on the list along with Ed9 and O2 as the most neutral cans I heard.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:15 PM Post #4,287 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Edition 9s do everything significantly better (in my world that means readily apparent but not night/day) than the 750s, which I still think are a very good headphone. The issue with the Edition 9s are the additional cost (well worth it for me) and the availability. You'd better check on that availibility as last I heard they were out of stock in the US. And there has even been some speculation that the unlimited production of Edition 9s, may not be totally unlimited.

Unless you can get a lead on a pair of Edition 9s, you might want to buy the 750 now. If you find that you generally like the 750s but find them to have some "flaws", I wouldn't worry about that because most of the "flaws" are fixed in the Edition 9s. If you generally like the 750 sound, then order the Edition 9s now and later sell the 750s.

Thank's ldj325,

I have sent an e-mail to the distributor in my country to check the availability. For some reason the e-mail address did not seem to work so I've contacted Ultrasone as well.

I've found a dealer who carry Proline 750 though, that's certainly a relatively cheap option to try the Ultrasone sound.

One thing strikes me as a bit odd though, asking price for Ed. 9 in the US seems to be roughly $1500 and in Europe it's 1500 Euro (from the Ultrasone web shop). Why is a European product cheaper in the US? If it's due to European sales taxes it's about time we move somewhere else.

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:25 PM Post #4,288 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I really want to say about Edition 9s (to add to the top poster), and what I mean to say in my review in due time is - Edition 9 is not about the wow-factor. R10 and HE90 both have a good deal of wow factor - Edition 9 does not. It does not mean Edition 9 is not extremely detailed, it does not mean Edition 9 is not very accurate, or not even engaging. The main theme with it is that it won't make you go like 'wow, this aspect is awesome'.

What about transient response? To me, a good transient response is something that makes me go - WOW. I hope this is an area where Edition 9 is not lacking?

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:36 PM Post #4,289 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One thing strikes me as a bit odd though, asking price for Ed. 9 in the US seems to be roughly $1500 and in Europe it's 1500 Euro (from the Ultrasone web shop). Why is a European product cheaper in the US? If it's due to European sales taxes it's about time we move somewhere else.

This is also vice versa, meaning for US products sold here in EU. These are also more expensive here then in the US.

Main reason (accounting for about 25 to 30 percent) are the import duties and the (VAT) Value Added Tax. The first are ranging between 5 to 10% and the latter around 20%.

Last but not least there is the commercial point of view.
An ED9 in EU is 1499euro that would be 1250 excluding VAT and that would be (today) 1700US$ excluding any sales tax. So including US sales tax it would be somewhere around 1822US$. QED: Impossible to sell.

In most HiFi equipment you have around 20 to 25% difference between US and EU prices (the latter always being higher).

Hope to have clarifeid a bit. Rgds

Hans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back