There's Something About Ultrasone…
Aug 17, 2007 at 12:56 PM Post #4,292 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What about transient response? To me, a good transient response is something that makes me go - WOW. I hope this is an area where Edition 9 is not lacking?

I don't know but to me transient response means the speed with which notes can be started and stopped. I mean for example, going from a high frquency to a low one quickly, and vice versa.

That is one area the ED9 excels at. I find I can hear individual vibrations on bass guitar strings where on other systems it's just one long solid note. You would never notice if you hadn't heard this before.

Aug 17, 2007 at 2:35 PM Post #4,293 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I imagine the pink cable in there, it just finishes the pic
tongue.gif

Since I have never seen you...is that really you or just a random pic..?
If it is you, it must be from your stripper days right
wink.gif

(sorry Stas if I make your eyes hurt again
tongue.gif
)

Put it back on--PLEASE, Sov!! : )

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #4,296 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The drivers has some ports on the back of the enclosure, and on the back of the magnet (not the cup), they close or open them depending on which model they will be used...Aslo IIRC the cup front panel, has come holes that they use like the aperiodic port of the spekers, as well, now don't ask me how, as that is a secret recipe from them, and BTW, I have seen a lot of unaccuaracy regarding that information, and the pics posted should be from one model and are from another, etc...

I opened up one side of my 650s this morning before I left the house. There was what looked like a black plastic ring glued over the vents that are visible from the outside on the 2500s. Rather than remove that ring, I decided first to try adding some acoustic and vibrational damping material to the inside of the ear cup because it totally empty in there now. I will gather the materials, install them and report on the results. I'm going to use a layered approach to tame all frequencies. I will use a mechanical damping material for the plastic ear cup itself, and a layered sandwich of heavy wool felt, heavy polyester felt, and a fabric backed poly foam. I'll try and capture the process with a few pictures to post here as well.

Cheers.

Aug 17, 2007 at 8:23 PM Post #4,297 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank's ldj325,

I have sent an e-mail to the distributor in my country to check the availability. For some reason the e-mail address did not seem to work so I've contacted Ultrasone as well.

I've found a dealer who carry Proline 750 though, that's certainly a relatively cheap option to try the Ultrasone sound.

One thing strikes me as a bit odd though, asking price for Ed. 9 in the US seems to be roughly $1500 and in Europe it's 1500 Euro (from the Ultrasone web shop). Why is a European product cheaper in the US? If it's due to European sales taxes it's about time we move somewhere else.

I never understood that whole conversion process, so I can't answer your question. I was going to suggest you contact Quables to see if they have any availability, but I see they added a post after yours. If you can get hold of them and if you can afford them, I'd say go for the Edition 9s. And I don't know this, but I think the resale on them should be pretty strong as they are so hard to get hold of--in case you didn't like them.

Oh yeah, don't worry about transient response. They're quick and detailed.

Regarding the "Wow" factor, this is so personal and depends on so many factors, not the least of which being the front end before it gets to the headphones. I've heard HE90s with 30K of signal chain in front of the headphone. Then I compared to the Edition 9s with maybe $6-8K signal chain. Hardly a level playing field. Personally I would take a R-10 or an HE 90 over an Edition 9. But I also think that the Edition 9 is strong enough to at least "run with that pack"--just not as top dog. (And in the sub-tier below that includes the L-3000, PS-1, Qualias, balanced Senn 650s, IMO the Edition 9 can make a case as the top dog.) Think about that, the Edition 9s at $1.5K at least being in the same league with $4.5-5K or $8.5K headphones that are often considered to be the very top two dynamic headphones ever made. Bottom line for me is that you always have to consider what the reference point is that something is being compared to.

Good luck!

Aug 17, 2007 at 8:58 PM Post #4,298 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What I really want to say about Edition 9s (to add to the top poster), and what I mean to say in my review in due time is - Edition 9 is not about the wow-factor. R10 and HE90 both have a good deal of wow factor - Edition 9 does not. It does not mean Edition 9 is not extremely detailed, it does not mean Edition 9 is not very accurate, or not even engaging. The main theme with it is that it won't make you go like 'wow, this aspect is awesome'. Its when you start paying attention to everything that you understand that everything is right about this headphone, and it does not try to attain the high-end sound through colorations to emphasize certain aspects of music. It will present everything in the most neutral sense it can, and that alone is enough to make music amazingly satisfying. There are 2 headphones that will also attempt to do the same thing - HD600 and Omega 2. Former needs a powerful balanced rig, latter needs an even more powerful rig, which will innately be balanced. Edition 9 succeeds with a mere Stello DA100 and iBasso t2 on my desk, and will also gladly scale up with higher end components.

Hopefully thats pretty much all people need to know about Edition 9, but in due time I'll try to unveil alot more refined thoughts.

You might want to let them burn in before making full conclusions as their sound is only going to refine more and more.

Aug 18, 2007 at 12:40 AM Post #4,300 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding the "Wow" factor, this is so personal and depends on so many factors, not the least of which being the front end before it gets to the headphones. I've heard HE90s with 30K of signal chain in front of the headphone. Then I compared to the Edition 9s with maybe $6-8K signal chain. Hardly a level playing field. Personally I would take a R-10 or an HE 90 over an Edition 9. But I also think that the Edition 9 is strong enough to at least "run with that pack"--just not as top dog. (And in the sub-tier below that includes the L-3000, PS-1, Qualias, balanced Senn 650s, IMO the Edition 9 can make a case as the top dog.) Think about that, the Edition 9s at $1.5K at least being in the same league with $4.5-5K or $8.5K headphones that are often considered to be the very top two dynamic headphones ever made. Bottom line for me is that you always have to consider what the reference point is that something is being compared to.

Good luck!

I have heard the Orpheus as a system a few times, and IMO not enough to form real dedicated opinion to make a detailed comparison between both, but good enough to tell you that while I heard the Edition 9 the second time, with a good system behind, the only headphone that crossed my mind was the mighty Orpheus system. The details, and realism, is only at that level, the R-10 has a euphonic factor that I admire, and I love the way they sound, but I don't know I would like to compare both side by side again more time to decide now what to choose....About the rest I agree, as well, IMO also the Edition will top any of the other competitors you mentioned...

Aug 18, 2007 at 1:28 AM Post #4,301 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have heard the Orpheus as a system a few times, and IMO not enough to form real dedicated opinion to make a detailed comparison between both, but good enough to tell you that while I heard the Edition 9 the second time, with a good system behind, the only headphone that crossed my mind was the mighty Orpheus system. The details, and realism, is only at that level, the R-10 has a euphonic factor that I admire, and I love the way they sound, but I don't know I would like to compare both side by side again more time to decide now what to choose....About the rest I agree, as well, IMO also the Edition will top any of the other competitors you mentioned...

Yeah, I held off my final evaluation between the Edition 9 and Orpheus because I couldn't hear the Edition 9s with that same level of signal chain in front of it. So I guess, as in other posts, when I put the HE90 at the top of the pile, it's really that whole system that I am remembering and referring to. And that is a little unfair to the Edition 9 and every other headphone that doesn't have such a signal chain. I'm getting an upgraded high end Supra XLR next week, so I am hoping to step into a whole new level with the Edition 9s.

Now I just need an $8K CD player.
icon10.gif
wink.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:58 AM Post #4,302 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I opened up one side of my 650s this morning before I left the house. There was what looked like a black plastic ring glued over the vents that are visible from the outside on the 2500s. Rather than remove that ring, I decided first to try adding some acoustic and vibrational damping material to the inside of the ear cup because it totally empty in there now. I will gather the materials, install them and report on the results. I'm going to use a layered approach to tame all frequencies. I will use a mechanical damping material for the plastic ear cup itself, and a layered sandwich of heavy wool felt, heavy polyester felt, and a fabric backed poly foam. I'll try and capture the process with a few pictures to post here as well.

Cheers.

I've completed the mod and the results are far beyond my expectations! Not only are the 650s far more balanced, the bass goes deeper, it's cleaner, they isolate better by probably another 10db or more. I'm really stoked! So that I don't continue to run this thread astray, I will start up another thread about the 650 mod. I took pictures too.

Thanks guys!

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:04 AM Post #4,303 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
run this thread astray

Yeah we wouldn't want that to happen now!

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

It's great that you improved the sound. I sometimes wonder if HP companies don't know about these things, but choose not to do them so there is room for improvement with more expensive models.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:04 AM Post #4,304 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You misread. HD600 is on the list along with Ed9 and O2 as the most neutral cans I heard.

Ah ok, I did read you correctly then.
What struck me as being odd (to my ears) is that the ed9 and the hd600 have totally different soundsignatures, the hd600 being very laid-back, warm, overpowering bass, while the e9 is very forward, bright and fast sounding, how can they both be neutral?
Imo, a warm laid-back soundsig is not neutral, it is coloured.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:05 AM Post #4,305 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by ldj325 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now I just need an $8K CD player.
icon10.gif
wink.gif

Audio Research Reference CD7
evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back