There's Something About Ultrasone…
Aug 16, 2007 at 5:08 PM Post #4,261 of 5,942
Hey Sov, I think you should jump on the cable-wagon man! This colour would suite you quite nicely
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 8:55 PM Post #4,262 of 5,942
I've asked the same questions in a separate thread but got no answers so I'm trying this huge thread instead.

There are many people here who seem very pleased with their Ultrasone cans so I'm getting interested myself. I'm a closed can type of guy so I would be mainly interested in the Proline 650 or 750 (or possible edition 9). The only problem is that I can't try before I buy so I have to be pretty certain what I'm getting before I buy.

Here's the question for those of you who have heard at least two of these cans:

What are the sonic differences between these cans? Which one is most likely (if any?) to be the one for me given the cans I have in my signature?

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:16 PM Post #4,263 of 5,942
The Ed 9s are better than the D2000s with bass that is deeper and tighter, better treble extension, and greater detail and soundstage. The Ed 9s are not as comfortable for long listening, however.

The Ed 9s are better than the DX1000s with tighter bass, and smoother mids without the coloration, but with slightly smaller soundstage. They are about equal in comfort on my head.

The Ed 9s are better than the HD595s in about every way they can be, except maybe comfort.

Those are the ones I've owned in your sig that I can speak to.

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:40 PM Post #4,265 of 5,942
Thank's Hardwired,

I was afraid (mainly for the sake of my poor wallet) that the Edition 9 might be as good or even better than my D2000 and DX1000. I find your comparison very helpful indeed, now I've got a very good idea of how the Edition 9 sounds. My wallet is hiding
icon10.gif

Edition 9 seems to have a very good bass (which is important to me, that's one of the reason why I like D2000 and DX1000 so much). What about the 650 and 750, how do they compare?

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:42 PM Post #4,266 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Sov, I think you should jump on the cable-wagon man! This colour would suite you quite nicely
tongue.gif
wink.gif

Do you really like it? Well FYI I have some underwear similar color from my stripper days long time ago, and some silk sheets that same color to match the decor...
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

How about an extended audition here home, I still have two pairs...Oh wait!!! The cable is just for the PROLines....
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Aug 16, 2007 at 9:50 PM Post #4,267 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've asked the same questions in a separate thread but got no answers so I'm trying this huge thread instead.

There are many people here who seem very pleased with their Ultrasone cans so I'm getting interested myself. I'm a closed can type of guy so I would be mainly interested in the Proline 650 or 750 (or possible edition 9). The only problem is that I can't try before I buy so I have to be pretty certain what I'm getting before I buy.

Here's the question for those of you who have heard at least two of these cans:

What are the sonic differences between these cans? Which one is most likely (if any?) to be the one for me given the cans I have in my signature?

Regarding "closed" cans. The 650s seem to only differ from the 750s by driver (major diff) and pleather vs velour pads. Besides the driver diffs between the 650 / 750, both of those cans seem to differ from the 2500 only in that a very thin, flexible ring of plastic has been glued over the top of the vents on the 2500. It is so thin, it blocks very little outside sound. I'm tempted to tear it off to see if the SQ improves with the 650 becoming a fully open can. Anyone else tried this?

The "closed-ness" of the 650/750 seems to be virtually useless from the standpoint of external noise reduction.

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:14 PM Post #4,268 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Regarding "closed" cans. The 650s seem to only differ from the 750s by driver (major diff) and pleather vs velour pads. Besides the driver diffs between the 650 / 750, both of those cans seem to differ from the 2500 only in that a very thin, flexible ring of plastic has been glued over the top of the vents on the 2500. It is so thin, it blocks very little outside sound. I'm tempted to tear it off to see if the SQ improves with the 650 becoming a fully open can. Anyone else tried this?

The "closed-ness" of the 650/750 seems to be virtually useless from the standpoint of external noise reduction.

That is not the only difference, they use the same "basic drivers" but they are tuned differently, the drivers have ports in the back, and the open version is tuned different from the close counterpart...they close or open ports to paly with the sound...

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:23 PM Post #4,269 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is not the only difference, they use the same "basic drivers" but they are tuned differently, the drivers have ports in the back, and the open version is tuned different from the close counterpart...they close or open ports to paly with the sound...

Do you mean they close some of the ports and not others on the 2500?

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:25 PM Post #4,270 of 5,942
Quote:

I'm tempted to tear it off to see if the SQ improves with the 650 becoming a fully open can. Anyone else tried this?

Here's a link of someone trying to make the 750 an open hp...not completely the same but I think it proves that is not just a simple matter of just removing something in order to improve the hp by being open.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=750+mod

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:28 PM Post #4,271 of 5,942
Quote:

Do you really like it? Well FYI I have some underwear similar color from my stripper days long time ago, and some silk sheets that same color to match the decor...
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif
evil_smiley.gif

This post of yours is worthless without pics
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean, I know you don't have the cable but euh, I have a vivid imagination haha!

Aug 16, 2007 at 10:32 PM Post #4,272 of 5,942
Quote:

Here's a link of someone trying to make the 750 an open hp...not completely the same but I think it proves that is not just a simple matter of just removing something in order to improve the hp by being open.

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showth...hlight=750+mod

Contrastique,
Thanks for the info! I will report my findings.

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:21 PM Post #4,273 of 5,942
Quote:

Do you mean they close some of the ports and not others on the 2500?

The drivers has some ports on the back of the enclosure, and on the back of the magnet (not the cup), they close or open them depending on which model they will be used...Aslo IIRC the cup front panel, has come holes that they use like the aperiodic port of the spekers, as well, now don't ask me how, as that is a secret recipe from them, and BTW, I have seen a lot of unaccuaracy regarding that information, and the pics posted should be from one model and are from another, etc...

Aug 16, 2007 at 11:46 PM Post #4,274 of 5,942
Quote:

This post of yours is worthless without pics
evil_smiley.gif
biggrin.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

I mean, I know you don't have the cable but euh, I have a vivid imagination haha!

Just a little of a preview, don't complain later on!!!

untitled.jpg

Aug 17, 2007 at 12:05 AM Post #4,275 of 5,942
Quote:

Just a little of a preview, don't complain later on!!!

untitled.jpg

Now those are what I call real anti-washboard abs.--of course I'm not too far behind myself.
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back