There's Something About Ultrasone…
Aug 18, 2007 at 7:07 AM Post #4,306 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwkarth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've completed the mod and the results are far beyond my expectations! Not only are the 650s far more balanced, the bass goes deeper, it's cleaner, they isolate better by probably another 10db or more. I'm really stoked! So that I don't continue to run this thread astray, I will start up another thread about the 650 mod. I took pictures too.

Thanks guys!

Good job man! Heading over to your thread for Tha Read! Oh and yes, please stop polluting this thread with this mod-thingy. It just doesn't belong here LOL
tongue.gif
(JK)

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:18 AM Post #4,307 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevenkelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah we wouldn't want that to happen now!

icon10.gif
icon10.gif
icon10.gif

It's great that you improved the sound. I sometimes wonder if HP companies don't know about these things, but choose not to do them so there is room for improvement with more expensive models.

I'm pretty sure you're right. This thing is a completely different headphone altogether with the mods, and I'm sure Ultrasone is well aware of what a little damping will do. I probably have an overkill situation going on, but I wanted to start with a shotgun approach and work back from there.

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #4,308 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Contrastique /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ah ok, I did read you correctly then.
What struck me as being odd (to my ears) is that the ed9 and the hd600 have totally different soundsignatures, the hd600 being very laid-back, warm, overpowering bass, while the e9 is very forward, bright and fast sounding, how can they both be neutral?
Imo, a warm laid-back soundsig is not neutral, it is coloured.

It depends on what setup you heard hd600 with. My impressions come form its combination with Ray's Apache and the Raptor, which with hd600 for something entirely neutral save a small mid-bass hump that occurs with Raptor (unbalanced). I think Edition 9 still comes out on top with speed, but HD600 actually demonstrates very neutral signature when driven well, and is a fairly quick headphone when driven balanced. The feeling of being laid back/warm from hd600 is entirely from its slowness when driven SE. I really don't feel like Ed9 is bright either, but keep in mind - my previous headphone experiences are likes of W5000 and K340.

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:18 AM Post #4,309 of 5,942
Quote:

Hi Hans,

Yes, new price from retailer. I think they don't want it advertised so I PMd you where.

Steve.

I'm also interested, please!

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:37 PM Post #4,313 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lamprologus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a pity, NSL don't ship outside of the US.

Is there any retailer within Europe who is cheaper than 1499 Euro?

Here in Costa Rica there are forwarding services that get you a mail address in Miami. You order from American stores and have the goods delivered to the Miami address, and from there the companies send it to you in Costa Rica.

Maybe there is a similar service for Europe?

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #4,314 of 5,942
Here is a link to one such service. It's not for Europe, but you should have a look so you can get a better idea of what I'm talking about:

http://www.aeropost.com

Aug 18, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #4,315 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on what setup you heard hd600 with. My impressions come form its combination with Ray's Apache and the Raptor, which with hd600 for something entirely neutral save a small mid-bass hump that occurs with Raptor (unbalanced). I think Edition 9 still comes out on top with speed, but HD600 actually demonstrates very neutral signature when driven well, and is a fairly quick headphone when driven balanced. The feeling of being laid back/warm from hd600 is entirely from its slowness when driven SE. I really don't feel like Ed9 is bright either, but keep in mind - my previous headphone experiences are likes of W5000 and K340.

Haven't heard the hd600 balanced yet. Missed out on that oppurtunity once
redface.gif
. Haven't heard the hd600 out of a master-setup either, only the Larocco with ipod or MOTU soundcard and laptop. It could be that the slowness is because of the SE-thingy. I would love to hear them balanced one day so I can revise my opinion on them so that they at least CAN sound good to my ears (a little).
When I said bright with the ed9 I didn't mean bright like bright bright but couldn't find a more suitable word for what I was trying to say. More forward is maybe what I tried to say...
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:01 PM Post #4,316 of 5,942
Quote:

It's great that you improved the sound. I sometimes wonder if HP companies don't know about these things, but choose not to do them so there is room for improvement with more expensive models.

I can't speak for the German headphone companies, but regarding mass-production violin factories (which is the origin of virtually all "hand-made", "artist-quality", "professional" or whatever BS they use to cover the fact that the instruments are a factory product, violins in the range below about $4000) , when people ask me what's the difference between the different prices of the violins they make, the direct answer is that they build each line to sound better than the ones below, and worse than the ones above, which is why many violin makers make a lot of money by taking cheaper, nice-looking older violins, which were made with great materials, but cheaply, putting a little work into making them right inside (which the original maker could easily have done, too--it's just a matter of applying the right set of numbers) and selling them for more money.

We do something similar to headphone modding in my shop: the profit margin on pretty good Chinese instruments is huge--big enough that we can spend a lot of shop time inside them, turning a $3500 viola into something that sounds like an $8000-10,000 one, for instance. Then we sell it, easily whumping all the competition, for $3500, make money, AND keep our shop employed. All because they intentionally build crippled models to keep their higher-priced models selling. Up to just below the level of single-person-made (that is, things you won't and can't order from a catalogue) instruments, the whole business is structured this way, intentionally, and historically to provide something for every market price point, as much as possible.

That's why when I bought my Ed9s, I did it just assuming (correctly, I guess) that everything below was a crippled version of the Ed9, in various ways. So first I did a lot of Ultrasone research to figure out if I'd like the general product line's concept, then just bit the bullet and bought the obvious conclusion rather than tying up a lot of money in bad purchases along the way.

Aug 18, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #4,317 of 5,942
Quote:

That's a pity, NSL don't ship outside of the US.

Is there any retailer within Europe who is cheaper than 1499 Euro?

Why are people always looking for cheaper? In the end that will kill High End business.

I can tell you that if the same 'price war' starts here in EU over Ultrasone I will stop being a dealer.
I cannot even buy it from my distributor for 1100US$.

Can you imagine how I must make a living?

It is already bad enough that Ultrasone allows these kind of prices in the US.
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif

Or on the other hand does not allow dealers in EU to compete on the same grounds.

Hans.

Aug 18, 2007 at 7:34 PM Post #4,318 of 5,942
Quote:

Originally Posted by hoosterw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Why are people always looking for cheaper? In the end that will kill High End business.

I can tell you that if the same 'price war' starts here in EU over Ultrasone I will stop being a dealer.
I cannot even buy it from my distributor for 1100US$.

Can you imagine how I must make a living?

It is already bad enough that Ultrasone allows these kind of prices in the US.
frown.gif
confused.gif
frown.gif
confused.gif

Or on the other hand does not allow dealers in EU to compete on the same grounds.

Hans.

If I can find what I'm looking for in a store I'm usually more than willing to pay some extra for the service I get. But for a headphone that no store have in stock (in my country at least) I don't see what harm it can do to try and buy the cans as cheap as possible? Why pay more if I don't get any better service?

I do however agree that Ultrasone prices differ too much between Europe and the US, I'm not sure why Ultrasone want it that way. If you pay more than the US street price from your distributor, something is definitely wrong.

Aug 18, 2007 at 9:57 PM Post #4,319 of 5,942
Quote:

If I can find what I'm looking for in a store I'm usually more than willing to pay some extra for the service I get. But for a headphone that no store have in stock (in my country at least) I don't see what harm it can do to try and buy the cans as cheap as possible? Why pay more if I don't get any better service?

I do however agree that Ultrasone prices differ too much between Europe and the US, I'm not sure why Ultrasone want it that way. If you pay more than the US street price from your distributor, something is definitely wrong.

Hi Lamprologus, I am sorry it sounded like a 'personal attack'. It was not meant that way. If indeed you can find a good price, just take it.
I would do the same.

But it is more the injustice about wanting to 'battle' on the same grounds but not being able to and this is the third time I am confronted with this, so I am just a little frustrated.
I am trying to run a local shop and deliver service but internet pricing just make it impossible to survive.

Sorry!
plainface.gif

Hans

Aug 18, 2007 at 10:09 PM Post #4,320 of 5,942
I empathize with your plight, Hans. Personally, if I can audition an item locally, I will patronize that local merchant by buying from them.

I'm not sure if NL&S is operating completely within the authorized dealer guidelines. My guess is that is why they don't advertise their actual prices. IIRC, another dealer got into trouble by displaying low prices on the Ed9's when they first came out, and Ultrasone got their panties in a bunch. Frankly, I don't know how NL&S do it, as they must be operating a low to no margins. *shrug*

Users who are viewing this thread

Back