The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 27, 2024 at 11:11 PM Post #87,752 of 88,945
Howdare you post ww/o impressions! Literally the most anticipated IEM! lol
That's 3,000 words since one picture is worth 1,000 words.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:20 PM Post #87,754 of 88,945
I'd love to check out a Sovereign and the Symphony in person! Also been curious about the Brise stuff. Does it feel as nice as the PWA stuff? Although I do have a neat little present for myself on the way tomorrow. Sort of the opposite of Stormy
I love Yatono 8w - it’s the most holographic and lively cable I’ve tried. Agreed with @aaf evo ergonomically it’s not the most comfortable.
Shirogane is slightly better but its quite “boring”/flat and missing those musicality of Yatono.

Sov Symp 8w sounds amazing - but yeah, ergonomically it’s bad too 😅.

Apr 27, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #87,755 of 88,945
One way in which I like to relive Canjams is by looking at photos a month or so after the event. I really enjoy Singapore Canjams. Singapore is such a great city for audio events and also in general. And probably one of the best cities in the world for food and those who like to eat. 🙂

20240418_123147_Original.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

IMG_0071.jpeg

63b1c86e-c38b-4385-adc4-1cfb2de79dc9.jpeg

80905fc2-d913-49db-8a61-60703c7bbd7b.jpeg

IMG_9926.jpeg

IMG_9835.jpeg

803dd5ec-bc29-403e-b152-16d782270f03.jpeg

IMG_9833.jpeg
Yes, love the SGP food. Must fly back there sometime:)

Apr 28, 2024 at 12:23 AM Post #87,756 of 88,945
An epic, superbly laid out and highly enjoyable read...thank-you sir. I actually prefer it when people's impressions posts are staggered over the weeks and months following the show as it extends my ability to re-live all the beautiful memories in some vividness.

In other news thanks to some help from Watercooler brother @Crazeee I was put in touch with the folks at Simphonio and was able to procure a tour unit of their P0 single planar IEM.

Early days so far but this IEM is superb. Top to bottom coherence, bass reaches to the stygian depths and has wonderful texture, mids are clear and sweet, timbre is excellent, stage is decently deep and expansive and the resolution as good as you'd expect from a planar. My only real comparison as far as planars go (from memory) is with the CFA Supermoon, which has more of a bass tilt. The P0 has a fairly balanced tuning with the vocals and mids in general being ever so slightly (but not too) forward in the mix. This one is definitely a level up from the Supermoon in a few key ways, namely the sweetness of the mids which lacks entirely the digital or "planar glare" that crops up on the SM from time to time. The P0 needs more juice than the SM, and overall of my two sources I'd say it synergizes better with the RS8 than the WM1Z. The Sup 3 would be another interesting comparison but I don't know it as well from memory as I do the SM...but off the cuff I would say the P0 has a richer timbre, similar resolution and may be the more versatile of the two. YMMV there. Grateful for this opportunity.

Edit: I've said this before and I'll say it again-- Planar drivers for me represent that "golden middle path" between the the superior texture and timbre of a DD and the superior articulation and resolution of a BA...the single driver coherence is just a magnificent cherry on the Sundae. The only real downside of this IEM is its price. I really hope there is a continued focus on single planar IEMs in the future as I feel it's still early days for them and that they really do have the potential to reinvent the market somewhat. Alternately, I suppose we could all just start EQing the IEMs we already own.
Really glad the demo safely arrived your side! Enjoy your time with them. Those Simphonio folks are great guys but just cannot communicate well in English.

P Zero was actually one of my long term favourite especially on the pop/ rock genre, with great coherence across frequency bands, as well as equipped with great soundstage and bass energy. But it is quite dependent on the DAP which require a little bit of juice to control, in China people like to drive it with Mjölnir, while I like P Zero on my P6P Ti.

P Zero got a quite noticeable pinna gain, I like to control it with AZLA Max ASMR, the combo is just a perfect balance to my ears 🫣

IMG_3512.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 1:17 AM Post #87,757 of 88,945
One way in which I like to relive Canjams is by looking at photos a month or so after the event. I really enjoy Singapore Canjams. Singapore is such a great city for audio events and also in general. And probably one of the best cities in the world for food and those who like to eat. 🙂

20240418_123147_Original.jpeg

IMG_0392.jpeg

IMG_0071.jpeg

63b1c86e-c38b-4385-adc4-1cfb2de79dc9.jpeg

80905fc2-d913-49db-8a61-60703c7bbd7b.jpeg

IMG_9926.jpeg

IMG_9835.jpeg

803dd5ec-bc29-403e-b152-16d782270f03.jpeg

IMG_9833.jpeg
I had Kaya Toast every morning during that trip.

IMG_9231.jpeg
IMG_9100.jpeg

And of course a mandatory visit to Zeppelin on Monday after CanJam

IMG_9233.jpeg
IMG_9234.jpeg

Apr 28, 2024 at 2:25 AM Post #87,758 of 88,945
Implies the cable is not woven in a Litz structure, which prevents oxidation. Otherwise, silver(-plating) especially will oxidate from sweat pretty quickly. Does not affect sound, just looks.
This is the reason why I switched everything to opaque jackets. This sxxt drives me nuts.
B43B6EBB-41BD-484D-B292-EA6DF05E936A.jpeg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 4:00 AM Post #87,760 of 88,945
Alternately, I suppose we could all just start EQing the IEMs we already own.

I am also realizing how EQ-ing is making me a more advanced audiophile.

But it’s not for the intellectually faint hearted, no Sir.

Even my math minor and multiple independent studies with parametric equations at Dartmouth comes short sometimes as I struggle with deciding between lower Q’s and higher Q’s. Oh, the horror.

But I see more and more, day by day, by day, how EQ-ing and playing with the tone is laying bare the “technical specifications” tomfoolery we audiophiles have been possessed by.

It’s all in the FR, gents.

(Only kidding of course! Not sure if the sarcasm will flat but oh well). 🙂

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:06 AM Post #87,761 of 88,945
On a world being more and more dominated by Portables (I'm part of this trend). I went from NFS to headphones to IEMs, where I have been knee deep for the last 7 years at least... I never left my headphone love die and always tried to have a set around my desk for the craving days.

Recently going through Diana Phi, to ZMF Atrium, to Diana TC, to AB-1266 (and auditioned many others)... I found my "perfect" set being the Diana TC. Even though AB-1266 sounds amazingly good and sublime, It's just too much for my use.

Today I got another big piece of my desktop setup puzzle to get me step closer to my "grab a beer at the end of a hard day, sit down and enjoy good music" sensation.

Welcome... Chord TT2, together with Diana TC has been a beautiful match.

IMG_0940.jpeg

(Personal Target: an audio system that combine, audio quality, comfort, aesthetics and be small and clean for my desktop. It has to be a central point for my "Monitor" LG C3 43", which has work pc, personal mac, video games and TV streaming)

Last but not least, my Portable audio love is still here. :p

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2024 at 8:55 AM Post #87,762 of 88,945
On a world being more and more dominated by Portables (I'm part of this trend). I went from NFS to headphones to IEMs, where I have been knee deep for the last 7 years at least... I never left my headphone love die and always tried to have a set around my desk for the craving days.

Recently going through Diana Phi, to ZMF Atrium, to Diana TC, to AB-1266 (and auditioned many others)... I found my "perfect" set being the Diana TC. Even though AB-1266 sounds amazingly good and sublime, It's just too much for my use.

Today I got another big piece of my desktop setup puzzle to get me step closer to my "grab a beer at the end of a hard day, sit down and enjoy good music" sensation.

Welcome... Chord TT2, together with Diana TC has been a beautiful match.

IMG_0940.jpeg

(Personal Target: an audio system that combine, audio quality, comfort, aesthetics and be small and clean for my desktop. It has to be a central point for my "Monitor" LG C3 43", which has work pc, personal mac, video games and TV streaming)

Last but not least, my Portable audio love is still here. :p

Whilst some IEM's (e.g. Noble Spartacus come to mind) have interchangeable terminations from 4.4mm to 3.5mm - IEM's out of the Chord TT2 are absolutely magical.

I would love to try Storm out of the TT2 if I could.

IMG_2397.jpeg

Trailii out of the TT2 was absolutely magical ; driven to perfection and performance scaled with the improved power and DAC quality. Just don't roll that large ball past red...

If only @Rob Watts would update the Hugo2 and TT2 to accomodate the IEM users out there with a 4.4mm output. Even years on, there are very few DAC's that perform as well as the TT2 with it's surprisingly small footprint.

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #87,763 of 88,945
Whilst some IEM's (e.g. Noble Spartacus come to mind) have interchangeable terminations from 4.4mm to 3.5mm - IEM's out of the Chord TT2 are absolutely magical.

I would love to try Storm out of the TT2 if I could.

IMG_2397.jpeg

Trailii out of the TT2 was absolutely magical ; driven to perfection and performance scaled with the improved power and DAC quality. Just don't roll that large ball past red...

If only @Rob Watts would update the Hugo2 and TT2 to accomodate the IEM users out there with a 4.4mm output. Even years on, there are very few DAC's that perform as well as the TT2 with it's surprisingly small footprint.
Why would you need more power from a desktop amp/dac for IEMs? That's all 4.4mm out does. For ground loops and other noise there are surely better means to fix them before the analog out 🤔

Apr 28, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #87,764 of 88,945
Why would you need more power from a desktop amp/dac for IEMs? That's all 4.4mm out does. For ground loops and other noise there are surely better means to fix them before the analog out 🤔
I don't need the power. Although it negates the need for a portable amplifier for the rare IEM (e.g. Storm) that actually sing out of a desktop or better quality amplifier.

What I do miss out of the Chord TT2 is the DAC. It is technically excellentˆ. As for 4.4mm I don't need the power or care so much about the balanced output ... sheer pragmatics - I have cables that are terminated in 4.4mm and every time you add an adapter or dongle, there are potentially subtle changes in signal loss and sound.

The main reason I let the TT2 go was I had to use pigtail / adapters depending on what I was listening to. My headphone cables were 4.4mm or 4-pin XLR and my IEM cables were almost all 4.4mm. Except my Andromeda 2020 and I wasn't about to plug something that sensitive into a TT2. That and I had to use my SP2000 at the time as the Roon endpoint/digital transport. I wanted a more elegant solution.

Listening to Spartacus out of the SP3000 via ROON. It's just so easy.

I know for a fact my TT2 has gone to a very good home. I was very fond of it.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back