The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #77,626 of 87,710
The very reason I refuse to store any of my data elsewhere when I can and have local backups

My primary storage is a local nas, but I do a secondary backup / sync to aws. I have debated on buying a second nas to keep at a friends house and do a replication between the two. My fear in keeping everything local is that it does not protect you from theft or natural disaster that might destroy your house.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:29 PM Post #77,627 of 87,710
image0 (1).jpeg

Initially ordered a pair of these from 7A way back in 2022 right after Precog dropped his review of them, and I'm guessing I was one of the earlier people in the US to get a set. Ultimately I sold my pair in a "oh crap I've accumulated way too much stuff" gear purge in 2023. But they've been on my mind since then.

Early impressions are much the same as I remember - a bit more midbass and a bit less bass impact than I'd normally prefer, but everything else just has this "thing" to it that makes this set so pleasant to listen to. Its a soft, cozy, warm sound with solid imaging and just enough technicalities that makes everything sound good.

Its quite a great complimentary pair to my Helios SE's (my original Helios's being another pair that I bought new, sold, and then had to shamefully buy back). Both play around with the idea of "neutral" but go to far opposite ends of the spectrum with where they take it. Cozy, warm and pleasant with technicalities not being at the forefront, vs. exciting, lean and a technical benchmark. I did spend some time playing with EQ last night too - this thing will put out some RUMBLY bass if you convince it.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #77,628 of 87,710
Lol yeah I got some Code 23 vibes (and fears) when I saw these new cables. Such fears are unfounded though-- while not the most pliable cables in the world these ones are well within the bounds of usability in terms of their ergo...which Code 23 for me was not. I also just love the colors...these just ooze class and refinement...and of a totally distinct variety to their Eletech counterparts (which I own in exactly the same color schemes).

41600CB1-A2A1-453F-9020-0516B7F6EDC3.JPEG
You are in the right sequence, try the purple one first, then the blue one. Otherwise, you will ruin your experience of the purple one.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:36 PM Post #77,629 of 87,710
I heard it for the first time at audio46 and I thought it was broken. I asked if there was something wrong wtih it, like phase issue or imbalance, but apparently it just sorta sounds like that. The bass wasn't very impactful and the treble was really lopsided. Thank you for being more eloquent than I.

I was most interested in the Trifecta because of what I read about its bass. I was a former Aurasonic fan and have been chasing a “better” version of my ASG2 for years, hoping the Trifecta would be it. While the Trifecta did have elevated bass, it didn’t sound particularly clean at all.

In contrast, the RN6 got me much closer to what I was hoping the Trifecta would sound like, but I still want some extra refinement than what I heard from it for the money.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:37 PM Post #77,630 of 87,710
My primary storage is a local nas, but I do a secondary backup / sync to aws. I have debated on buying a second nas to keep at a friends house and do a replication between the two. My fear in keeping everything local is that it does not protect you from theft or natural disaster that might destroy your house.
I have 3 NAS, Synology, QNAP, and WD My Cloud. I have to say WD is a total disaster.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #77,631 of 87,710
You are in the right sequence, try the purple one first, then the blue one. Otherwise, you will ruin your experience of the purple one.

Why is that? I remember you shared some impressions but the specifics of what you said has slipped my mind.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:42 PM Post #77,632 of 87,710
Why is that? I remember you shared some impressions but the specifics of what you said has slipped my mind.
Purple one is the code 24c limited, and blue one is the code 24. IMO, code 24 or the blue one is almost superior in every category except the ergo (of course since code 24 is almost twice the price of 24c).

Code 24 is SPC and 24c is pure copper.

In term of performance, code 24c is more for vocal and midrange while code 24 is much, much more exciting with more V shape, or at least more bass. Someone said code 24 is code 23 on steroid but I did not own code 23 to verify that.

BTW, to demonstrate the bass of code 24, try this one below (if you are not patient, start from 6 min, with the build up and the final drum percussions)

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 3:48 PM Post #77,633 of 87,710
I have 3 NAS, Synology, QNAP, and WD My Cloud. I have to say WD is a total disaster.

All in one location or spread out in different houses at minimum?

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #77,634 of 87,710
After I jived with Quattro, I started to appreciate the little IEM more and more. Initially I was disappointed out of the box, but now I am reaching more and more for Quattro. Even though I still do not change my perception of Quattro in term of technical capability, I tried to understand why the sound of Quattro appeals to me instead of simply saying its sound is very analog. It is not the bass, even though the sub-bass is pretty good; it is not just the midrange, though the midrange is more forward, it is definitely not treble.

I finally reached my conclusion: the true strength of Quattro is in its timbre, it reminds me of ZMF Atrium, a $2,500+ headphone.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:54 PM Post #77,635 of 87,710
All in one location or spread out in different houses at minimum?
:deadhorse: I hope I have your sense of risk managements, I put all of them not only in my own house, but also in one room, and as matter of fact, in one cabinet where I store all the stuff: Modem, wired router, wireless router, devices for my google voice, all NAS servers. I should start to relocate them, probably in another state maybe since in California we all anticipate the overdue big earthquake to come.

Jan 9, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #77,636 of 87,710
1704833408881.png

So it took them a while to officially release these out into the wild but the new Quattro is indeed launched as of today. I was going to do a full review on these and I still might but my initial impressions still holds incredably well as of today a month or so later. https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/penon-quattro-4-dynamic-driver-universal-iem.26959/review/32671/ Some of the fellas here own these so they can tell you but these are pushing some excellent sonics for the bucks. You need a IEM to test out your nice amplifier you own at home/ or your nice cables. These are just the ticket or if you feel the need to add a well designed 4DD IEM to your stable. These will be at a relative afforable $400 on launch. www.penonaudio.com. I know price is relative here as some of you own cables that cost 4X as much these. Lol but for some these will be end game material.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:10 PM Post #77,638 of 87,710
I had the chance today to try out the legendary Storm, thanks to @antdroid who was in Munich tonight and was so kind to let me listen to his set!

After some issues to find a good seal (Storm has a larger nozzle, maybe even slightly larger than Anni but not on EXT level) I was able have a good seal with my W1s, the same I use with the Annihilator. When I finally had the right seal after some fiddling, the IEMs were really comfortable for me. I have large ears but small ear canals.

What can I say, I was mostly impressed by how good people in this thread described the Storm. I had an imagination after reading many impressions here and most of these impressions matched reality for me! The Storm is a great reference set, it does have great BA bass, is holographic. And yes, it did everything right with the tracks from several genres of music I was listening to with it (Rock, Electronic, Metal, Acoustic, Vocal etc.).

I was listening through my SP3000 and I know this is not considered the ideal DAP for the Storm but I think it is enough to get a good feeling for this IEM. It was the most demanding set, I've listend to, so far. Not the perfect reference points, but still - my volume level for normal listening on the SP3k - Mentor:42, Annihilator: 75, GM: 77, Storm: 95! (out of 150).

What impressed me most was the perfect and beautiful craftsmanship. The launch edition is so beautiful, I hope the regular version can keep up here.

Would I buy it? Not sure, to be honest. It is the absolut best reference set I've ever heard but I think I was missing the "wow-factor" a little. But I do think everybody who is looking for a perfect reference set will have a hard time to find anything better. But that was already known, of course.

Thanks again @antdroid, also for the great conversation. Save travels and great meetings to you!!

Attachments

• 1704833944145.png
    1704833944145.png
    5 MB · Views: 0
  • 1704834006904.png
    1704834006904.png
    9.7 MB · Views: 0
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #77,639 of 87,710
After I jived with Quattro, I started to appreciate the little IEM more and more. Initially I was disappointed out of the box, but now I am reaching more and more for Quattro. Even though I still do not change my perception of Quattro in term of technical capability, I tried to understand why the sound of Quattro appeals to me instead of simply saying its sound is very analog. It is not the bass, even though the sub-bass is pretty good; it is not just the midrange, though the midrange is more forward, it is definitely not treble.

I finally reached my conclusion: the true strength of Quattro is in its timbre, it reminds me of ZMF Atrium, a $2,500+ headphone.
I would agreed but not the timber across the entire frequency range just the mids the bottom and top lack resolution and the bass lacks texture and the top missing the sheen.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #77,640 of 87,710
I would agreed but not the timber across the entire frequency range just the mids the bottom and top lack resolution and the bass lacks texture and the top missing the sheen.
You are right, however, for the top part, it is actually a pro for me especially for long-term listening and I really enjoy the lack of sibilance in Quattro.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back