The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:48 PM Post #77,611 of 88,680
Never a worthy tradeoff IMHO. At the forefront of the digital music revolution it was Steve Jobs himself who noted that "people want to own their own music". I see the convenience of streaming and cloud storage but I would personally never want to have my music collection dependent on an internet connection or the whims of some corporation.

Like when Google Music cloud service first came on the scene. I bought into the marketing and believed my music would always be there. I uploaded TONS of my collection, including my personal bit-perfect EAC rips. And now it is all gone(from the cloud). That still grinds my ears.

nfuc1u2zl5bc1.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #77,613 of 88,680
I got some mail today…some EA awesomeness for our tour program.

0BEB6BAC-C958-49BA-B15F-FCCC85F2A9AF.jpeg
Now you should be backed up in case your car stuck at wintertime 😉

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:05 PM Post #77,614 of 88,680
Like when Google Music cloud service first came on the scene. The allure was you could upload your entire collection of flac, mp3 etc. and it would always be there. I uploaded TONS of my collection, including my personal bit-perfect EAC rips. And now it is all gone(from the cloud). That still grinds my ears.nfuc1u2zl5bc1.jpg
The very reason I refuse to store any of my data elsewhere when I can and have local backups

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #77,615 of 88,680
Jan 9, 2024 at 2:07 PM Post #77,616 of 88,680
need a good 4.4 capable dongle amp/dac in the $250 range to hold me over for a big boy DAP later this year.

Looking at the Questyle M15 and the Cayin RU 6/7… any other I should look at before tomorrow?

Will be pairing with everything in my signature and (and maybe the Oriolus Szalayi…)

It is time I bring balance to my life (cables).

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #77,617 of 88,680
A8000 is underrated around these parts! I’d take it over a lot of single DD’s. Reminds me, I forgot to score Dita Perpetua and have notes for it. They are pretty.

IMG_3624.jpeg

Trifecta is an odd one, I personally am not a huge fan, but commend it for being a complete change of pace in an otherwise very rinse-and-repeat market. I don’t particularly like its tonality nor do I find it very technical like most TOTL, but it has a holographic presentation and a very raw character to its presentation (tuning and texturally). That would be its X-factor. Treble is energetic, peaky but can be exciting for some I suppose. I will also add it to the sheet.

I do find the price steep for it, I think it’s “worth” $1500 in sound quality if being generous, but it’s outperformed by some sub-1K products. Price does not mean anything as you can see based on how I score, it’s a very arbitrary metric, especially seeing how hundreds of products are using the same engines internally. Trifecta does not have off-the-shelf drivers, which I also respect.

I will also be adding other IEM’s I forgot to list. Perpetua, Odyssey, Trifecta, Stellar Horizon, Maestro SE, Earsonics S-EM9, Velvet V2, EE Hero, PSB M4U 4, SE315, SE425, UE Triple.Fi 10, UE900 & GR07.

As a former Trifecta owner I think this is fairly generous; I have a few <$100 IEMs on tour right now and I find most of them to be less disappointing than my Trifecta was. I thought I was going insane when I owned mine but when I had friends who aren’t very in tune with the market demo it and asked what they’d pay for one, none of them guessed anything over $200.

I do think options that deviate from the norm should be celebrated (it’s why I bought a YH5000SE, so I could try to nail down its eccentricities), but I think that’s where my biggest issue with the Trifecta lies. My main reason for selling it was that it really did just sound kind of like how budget IEMs sound, but in a prettier, much more expensive package. It’s technically a little better than the budget IEMs I’ve grown tired of, but in the end, it has relatively similar issues I have as I do with cheap stuff: unrefined treble and unrefined bass. I’m a big dynamic driver fan in all types of transducers, but, frankly, I didn’t think the Trifecta really showed off the positive virtues of them, just a lot of the negatives I associate with more “budget” IEMs…

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:14 PM Post #77,618 of 88,680
need a good 4.4 capable dongle amp/dac in the $250 range to hold me over for a big boy DAP later this year.

Looking at the Questyle M15 and the Cayin RU 6/7… any other I should look at before tomorrow?

Will be pairing with everything in my signature and (and maybe the Oriolus Szalayi…)

It is time I bring balance to my life (cables).
Probably take RU7 and get it done :beerchug:

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #77,619 of 88,680
Now you should be backed up in case your car stuck at wintertime 😉

Lol yeah I got some Code 23 vibes (and fears) when I saw these new cables. Such fears are unfounded though-- while not the most pliable cables in the world these ones are well within the bounds of usability in terms of their ergo...which Code 23 for me was not. I also just love the colors...these just ooze class and refinement...and of a totally distinct variety to their Eletech counterparts (which I own in exactly the same color schemes).

41600CB1-A2A1-453F-9020-0516B7F6EDC3.JPEG

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:20 PM Post #77,621 of 88,680
The very reason I refuse to store any of my data elsewhere when I can and have local backups

I have both. And also keep a backup at my sister's house.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:21 PM Post #77,622 of 88,680
Whilst I understand Trifecta is not to everyone’s taste tonally, I honestly find it strange how some (most?) don’t hear the TOTL technicalities that I do.

AFAIK, there isn't a standard published on what makes a TOTL IEM or HP and the boundary of what IEMs are evolving so fast as well as the price.

The Trifecta is a love hate IEM and nobody has a golden ear, we must remember that.

I think this is a good summary in that there are so many variables involved (fitment, source, genre of music and style of artist, sensitivity to different frequency ranges, personal mood).

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #77,623 of 88,680
Nothing scientific, just playing random music from a source in a loop for days. Most of my music listening time is spent in the car to/from work, and tbh, most of my IEM listening is for reviewing while going through a selection of test tracks. So, for me to get to 120hrs of a regular listening time with a single pair of iems will take at least a month. Another advantage of such burn in for 3-4 days is that you can recall easier any changes you heard from a few days ago. Otherwise, it will be a lot harder to detect any changes after going through a brain burn in while listening for weeks... Now, I have also spoken with people who are convinced that using pink vs white noise during cable burn in will affect the tonality of the wires. Not gonna comment on that :D

Thanks for sharing! I've always just taken my source and set it to random track play, as my library has a lot of variability already. But I started to question whether using pink/white noise mixed in was better. I came across this spotify playlist and thought I would try it.

Jan 9, 2024 at 2:23 PM Post #77,624 of 88,680
As a former Trifecta owner I think this is fairly generous; I have a few <$100 IEMs on tour right now and I find most of them to be less disappointing than my Trifecta was. I thought I was going insane when I owned mine but when I had friends who aren’t very in tune with the market demo it and asked what they’d pay for one, none of them guessed anything over $200.

I do think options that deviate from the norm should be celebrated (it’s why I bought a YH5000SE, so I could try to nail down its eccentricities), but I think that’s where my biggest issue with the Trifecta lies. My main reason for selling it was that it really did just sound kind of like how budget IEMs sound, but in a prettier, much more expensive package. It’s technically a little better than the budget IEMs I’ve grown tired of, but in the end, it has relatively similar issues I have as I do with cheap stuff: unrefined treble and unrefined bass. I’m a big dynamic driver fan in all types of transducers, but, frankly, I didn’t think the Trifecta really showed off the positive virtues of them, just a lot of the negatives I associate with more “budget” IEMs…
I heard it for the first time at audio46 and I thought it was broken. I asked if there was something wrong wtih it, like phase issue or imbalance, but apparently it just sorta sounds like that. The bass wasn't very impactful and the treble was really lopsided. Thank you for being more eloquent than I.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back