The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #77,596 of 88,668
I guess if you did that, Oriolus will hate you, but I really want to see your comparison of Monachaa vs Quattro.

If I remember correctly, @emdeevee promised to bring Quattro to CanJam NYC'24, so hopefully I will get a chance to hear and to comment on it.

Also, weren't you the one who mentioned how Quattro is mid-forward, lacking the bass? If that is the case, these two will be quite different, and perhaps, complementary in tuning?

Jan 9, 2024 at 12:35 PM Post #77,597 of 88,668
The Trifecta is a love hate IEM and nobody has a golden ear, we must remember that.

XE6 for me not RN6 and never Mentor.
But anyway it is what it is, and we should keep in mind that everyone has a golden ear for their own listening.

It is hard not to react sometimes when somebody else hears something I connected with and denies the very things I found outstanding. So subjective.
I must be careful not to question my own hearing because of loud voices telling me to have doubt.
Got it. We hear differently, no worries. I will perhaps make myself unpopular by saying XE6 was screeching in the upper-mids to my ears. But I am old (haha 53) and have some tinnitus, so that area can be difficult for me. But I also found XE6 a bit incoherent in terms of FR (RN6 too) - never felt like a single piece of music was reaching my ears at the same time. That's one "technical" area where CFA shines - presenting a dynamic coherent wave of music that just flows organically. To my ears there is such a thing as too much microdynamics and too much much resolution that can sound unnatural on the level of the musical event.
Definitely hear the metallic mids on the Supermoon, but I think stuff like Andro is relatively OK.

I agree with all of your observations about the Trifecta - it is exactly how I hear and feel about it. But then I am also glad many are enjoying it, really shows that there is a market for everything.
I thought the first reply might make me feel like I’ve been crucified. You are right about technicalities needing definition; I’d probably come back with my personal definition of this but I’m busy at work at the minute. I’m sure though technicalities can’t mean nothing.

I have to say ‘completely inadequate’ is quite the statement. I was clear to point out where my opinions might differ from others and they are my subjective take. I clearly disagree with your sweeping statement and appear to like what you dislike, or rather don’t hear them the same way. Clearly.
I forgot to mention that I had recently thought about buying Trifecta again. That would be the third time for a third chance. So there must be something to the fact that Trifecta is "nevertheless" a fantastic iem. I definitely will when I get the chance and I'm very happy to accept offers if anyone wants to get rid of it :) . I've learned lately that the technicalities aren't everything (see my comparison between the DX320Max and N30). Is that a sign that I've matured at least a little? I wouldn't buy Trifecta if I had to choose just one iem, but as a complementary it's another question. Admittedly, I don't think Campfire Audio wanted to present an all-arounder with Trifecta and back then I was looking for exactly that. So my expectations were obviously wrong.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:36 PM Post #77,598 of 88,668
Jan 9, 2024 at 12:50 PM Post #77,599 of 88,668
I honestly find it strange how some (most?) don’t hear the TOTL technicalities that I do.
The watercooler summed up in a single line. Makes for great discourse, though.

Also, my trifectas came today and heaven help me, we're having a rainstorm so bad my kid's daycare is closing early. UPS ninjas left them out in the rain with the box thankfully covered with a plastic bag. Got the email delivery notification 10 minutes after, bolted to the door and got them inside. I'm dying inside waiting but I likely won't get any demo time until tomorrow.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #77,600 of 88,668
Just received some exciting news… the VE 10 demo has arrived at MusicTeck and I’ll have it tomorrow. I’ve been asking Andrew (and VE) when he’ll receive this for far too long that I’m embarrassed to even admit when the first email was sent 😅 it’s an IEM that I’ve wanted to hear since I first heard about the prototypes back at CanJam SG ‘23.

I’m really looking forward to this one, I tend to really vibe with Vision Ears IEMs. 🤞🏽

Since I already shared these pictures with you :wink:, figured to post it in Watercooler for others to benefit from because I got a number of questions about VE10 nozzle fit in comparison to their more traditional PHX-like shells and EXT shell. Here is how it looks, side by side, PHX, VE10, and EXT.

1704823367576.png

1704823402507.png

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:07 PM Post #77,601 of 88,668
Hello everyone. Just thought I would drop in and say hi since I havent really been around much. Lurking a bit, but most of the time theres like 10+ new pages to go through so I tend to skip most of the discussion here.

Anyways, mostly just enjoying my singularity. Fit unfortunately isnt quite good enough to have in my ear for a full work day, but its good enough for some shorter but still extended sessions. And they have mostly killed any desire to keep dumping money into the hobby for now. Hope you all had a good holiday and a good new year.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #77,602 of 88,668

Flying the friendly skies with some gear. ✈️ 🎧🔥

Great collection-- you've got all possible bases covered there.

I'm really curious as to what you would think of the Trifecta in the midst of all these IEMs. Any chance you will try them soon?

I spoke to Audio46 today, they have a set of the Trifecta to audition there, so I will bring my Volur there and see for myself soon, as I am close by, but would love to hear more thoughts from folks who have heard a lot more IEMs.

Honestly, with this particular IEM, which seems to elicit unusually strong reactions on both sides of the fence, given that you have the means to demo...my advice would be to tune out everything here as much as possible and go and form your own impressions. Amidst the Babel and cacophony of so many conflicting impressions, music libraries, perspectives and priorities there is simply no substitute for hearing something for yourself if you can.

I know this debate has been had ad nauseam but I’ve not properly commented on it before so my 2 cents.

Whilst I understand Trifecta is not to everyone’s taste tonally, I honestly find it strange how some (most?) don’t hear the TOTL technicalities that I do. And I don’t mean to sound derogatory or argumentative so sorry if it comes across differently. (Might be it’s tuning that can be off putting or initially jarring to skew first impressions?)

I’ve had the pleasure to own a bunch of different IEMs from all different price ranges over the past couple of years and not found 1 that is significantly more ‘technical’. Some of the IEMs I’m talking about here are Phonix, Tia Trio, A8000, Legend X/Evo, Aroma Thunder (heck, I’ve also owned Focal Utopia). I’ve also heard a few TOTL iems at shows and personally see why Trifecta is priced comparatively (and not as much as Trailli etc). (To be clear, I don’t want to pay this much for any IEM but that’s a different argument)

I find Trifecta is about on par technically with something like Phonix, but for my taste, Trifecta wins by a landslide. I love the realism it creates with its pure DD timbre and that trumps ‘pure technicality’ for me, but in saying that, I still hear the TOTL levels of detail and nuance I’d expect to hear at this price. So in my book it does both to a very high standard.

I’m sat here listening to Forty Six & 2 by Tool and it’s the same effortless level of detail that Phonix threw at me previously, but much more life-like with added dynamics and texture/natural timbre (textured crunch of guitars/visceral drums) and its testament to how good these adds are. I guess it allows the music to engage and move me more than a typical all-BA or hybrid set.

I’m also not trying to say Trifecta is perfect (Treble can be problematic as some of the peaks make some track come across harsh for example) but it really hits most of my needs and wants. Especially with the type of doomy stoner rock that I’m spending a lot of my time appreciating these days.

For what it’s worth, I’m pairing Trifecta with Sony sources which seem to go hand in hand effortlessly.

I’d love to hear a sub-1k IEM that outperforms Trifecta though 👍🏻😀

The Campfire Trifecta...ever the lighting rod. It is normal for there to be conflicting impressions of various IEMs however with the Trifecta impressions have always been especially and sharply divided. Furthermore, folks who don't jive with this particular IEM often go further out of their way than normal to convey just how much they don't like it, how they don't feel it's worth the money or doesn't qualify as a "true TOTL". As someone who singles it out as my favorite IEM and feels such sentiments to be presumptious and misguided I used to worrry that they would ultimately turn off many who otherwise might really enjoy the Trifecta. These worries proved to be unfounded as in the past year, as evidenced by our polls, other threads and the numerous PMs I regularly get from grateful folks, the Trifecta has only increased in popularity and continued to find its audience, despite there never being a shortage of people for whom it just doesn't connect. So all is well and fine there as far as I'm concerned.

Regarding your statements about the Trifecta's technical chops-- I agree entirely and feel it is often unfairly criticized in this domain. Part of the problem is that "techicality" is a broad umbrella term that can mean many different things to many people, often hinging on the sort of music they listen to, or what they value in the listening experience itself. I listen to a lot of classic rock, acoustic jazz, soul, funk, blues, prog rock, pop, with a dash of classical, minimal techno and electronic from the 80s, 90s and 00s. For my tastes, preferences and library the Trifecta excels in numerous technical domains, including holographic staging, depth of macro imaging-- and yes I agree with you the resolution and detail in, especially, the mids and bass is a lot better than it's generally given credit for. Beyond that this IEM also excels at bass extension, texture & timbre, instrumental/midrange timbre (especially strings, drums, pianos and horns)...and furthermore it's capacity to move air and deliver a bombastic & visceral experience with a surprising amount of discipline and grace is where this IEM really earns its bread and butter. The fact is there really isn't anything else out there on the market like it so saying it gets "out perferformed" by other IEMs is imho a moot point. I spent a lot of time with the Aroma Fei Wan and Canpur CP622B this weekend and to my ears the Trifecta easily stands alongside those two as peers, though admittedly with an entirely different presentation. IMHO the Fei Wan, 622B, and Trifecta all in their own way stand atop different distinct summits of what is currently on the market. Just my $.02 as someone who has demoed just about everything out there and who has a firm sense of what I like and what works for me.

I'm coming to feel that there is no more important component to someone's listening impressions than a clear communication of at least the general type of music they're listening to and drawing their conclusions from. Often some of the people whose listening impressions I disagree with the most it turns out listen to, for example, really fast and nuanced EDM which requires drivers with a lot of speed and articulation, especially up top. This is something that, say, the Fir Xe6 would indeed be better suited for. I have an Xe6 on hand right now and have tried in vain for two years to connect with this IEM-- I just don't jive with it. Relative to the factors I outlined in the last paragraph, and for the music I listen to and my own preferences, the Trifecta runs circles around the Xe6 imho...though I understand why folks who listen to a lot of technical EDM would prefer it to the Trifecta. I feel it's important to clarify these things rather than make blanket statements.

Otherwise, the metallic mids and the thin trebles were very problematic for me to hear. I had sold Trifecta the first time and had even given it a second chance. I sold it shortly afterwards.
In my opinion, Campfire Audio should urgently address the task of improving the quality of the mids and treble. Solaris 2020, Solaris Stellar Horizon, Supermoon, Bonneville (as I have read in several places), and supposedly others that I have not heard... they all have the same problems with mids and treble. If they could get that right, they would be really strong.

Agree a little about the Supermoon but beyond that I've never had an issue with metallic mids in any Campfire IEM...natural emotive mids with great instrumental timbre and great bass (along with holographic staging) are, for me, their trademarks. YMMV, and all that.

The Trifecta is a love hate IEM and nobody has a golden ear, we must remember that.

XE6 for me not RN6 and never Mentor.
But anyway it is what it is, and we should keep in mind that everyone has a golden ear for their own listening.

It is hard not to react sometimes when somebody else hears something I connected with and denies the very things I found outstanding. So subjective.
I must be careful to not question my own hearing because of loud voices telling me to have doubt.

So few words, so much wisdom.

Got it. We hear differently, no worries. I will perhaps make myself unpopular by saying XE6 was screeching in the upper-mids to my ears. But I am old (haha 53) and have some tinnitus, so that area can be difficult for me. But I also found XE6 a bit incoherent in terms of FR (RN6 too) - never felt like a single piece of music was reaching my ears at the same time. That's one "technical" area where CFA shines - presenting a dynamic coherent wave of music that just flows organically. To my ears there is such a thing as too much microdynamics and too much much resolution that can sound unnatural on the level of the musical event.

Agreed on all points, but especially the last bit. FWIW I love the Rn6 and consider it my favorite of the Frontiers...but imho it's almost too technical for its own good. Sometimes it feels like the music is presented "just so" with all the elements clearly demarcated as though served up in one of those sectioned off plates.

Screen Shot 2024-01-09 at 9.56.52 AM.png

In other news my newly re-terminated @doctorjuggles cable arrived yesterday and I'm going to check it out with the 1Z + Trifecta today.

A8D6FF84-CBB3-407B-888F-E1909919F2AB.JPEG

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 1:19 PM Post #77,603 of 88,668
Hi guys, if any of you are after an ultraportable open Android 13 player with all-day battery life for out-and-about walking, hiking, gym and travel use, HiBy Digital's M300 is well worth a try. For $199 it's cheaper than most of us pay for IEM cases nowadays, and rivals sub-$500 DAPs and most smartphones in both quality and utility.

M300_12.jpg

My review is online here if you're interested.​
That's a tough choice, most people would argue why do I need this given I already have a smartphone. For people who don't satisfied with their smartphone, they will pick an audiophile DAP.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #77,604 of 88,668
Gearing up for Canjam 🇸🇬

Gearing up for canjam Singapore.png
I stayed at Pan Pacific Vancouver, don't know they also has one in Singapore. Looking forward to your impression.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #77,605 of 88,668
That's a tough choice, most people would argue why do I need this given I already have a smartphone. For people who don't satisfied with their smartphone, they will pick an audiophile DAP.
I've cheated and used my samsung as a portable library before. Neutron is an excellent player and actually has a dedicated digital line out option via usb c that works excellent if you feel like strapping your dap to the phone as an external digital amp. I'd use the functionality more often if not for the fact that the s22 ultra scrapped the microsd slot. Pretty much the only reason I upgraded phones was for the improved camera for kiddo photos. Outside of that, my daily usage (internet browsing, teams, outlook, messenger) hasn't really justified the processing power jump.

I'm curious on the output of astell and kerns mobile usb c dap--what are they on now, v3? I doubt in terms of power output alone they'd match anywhere near their latest players, but I imagine they're fairly decent if you can stand the entire 2 odd hours of battery life you'll get using them. I still own my v-moda vamp verza and the sound outputs more than decent considering how old it is.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:30 PM Post #77,606 of 88,668
If I remember correctly, @emdeevee promised to bring Quattro to CanJam NYC'24, so hopefully I will get a chance to hear and to comment on it.

Also, weren't you the one who mentioned how Quattro is mid-forward, lacking the bass? If that is the case, these two will be quite different, and perhaps, complementary in tuning?
Yes, from your description, they have very few in common except both have 4 DDs inside.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:34 PM Post #77,608 of 88,668
I've cheated and used my samsung as a portable library before. Neutron is an excellent player and actually has a dedicated digital line out option via usb c that works excellent if you feel like strapping your dap to the phone as an external digital amp. I'd use the functionality more often if not for the fact that the s22 ultra scrapped the microsd slot. Pretty much the only reason I upgraded phones was for the improved camera for kiddo photos. Outside of that, my daily usage (internet browsing, teams, outlook, messenger) hasn't really justified the processing power jump.

I'm curious on the output of astell and kerns mobile usb c dap--what are they on now, v3? I doubt in terms of power output alone they'd match anywhere near their latest players, but I imagine they're fairly decent if you can stand the entire 2 odd hours of battery life you'll get using them. I still own my v-moda vamp verza and the sound outputs more than decent considering how old it is.
Smartphone companies are following the footsteps of Apple, they try to sell you the cloud storge by scrapping the microSD slot.

Jan 9, 2024 at 1:37 PM Post #77,609 of 88,668
Smartphone companies are following the footsteps of Apple, they try to sell you the cloud storge by scrapping the microSD slot.

Never a worthy tradeoff IMHO. At the forefront of the digital music revolution it was Steve Jobs himself who noted that "people want to own their own music". I see the convenience of streaming and cloud storage but I would personally never want to have my music collection dependent on an internet connection or the whims of some corporation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back