The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:22 PM Post #77,641 of 88,652
Purple one is the code 24c limited, and blue one is the code 24. IMO, code 24 or the blue one is almost superior in every category except the ergo (of course since code 24 is almost twice the price of 24c).

Code 24 is SPC and 24c is pure copper.

In term of performance, code 24c is more for vocal and midrange while code 24 is much, much more exciting with more V shape, or at least more bass. Someone said code 24 is code 23 on steroid but I did not own code 23 to verify that.

BTW, to demonstrate the bass of code 24, try this one below (if you are not patient, start from 6 min, with the build up and the final drum percussions)

Listening to it right now and it's very nice indeed. Unfortunately my audio memory isn't that great and I've found l lack the delicacy of perception requisite to really do a fine toothed analysis between sonic differences in cables...though admittedly there does seem to be a dash of secret sauce present here in the bass relative to the gold plated silver cable I was previously using which seemed to place more emphasis on clarity in the mids and uppers.

Some recent discussion got me thinking about a factor that all too often is missing from some of the interactions in this hobby...and that is humility. Our current capacity for online transcontinental interactions has helped created a community whereby folks of all ages, nationalities and various other persuasions spanning the globe have come together in a rather unprecedented way to share and celebrate their experiences in this hobby. There is, it seems, no limit to the variety in perspectives and experiences we can all bring to the table. Sometimes, being only human, it can be difficult for us at times to see beyond the horizon of our own biases and temperaments. I have been guilty of this myself at times. Affection for cables for me is a classic example. Once upon a time I couldn't really understand all the discussion I witnessed around cables-- with folks testifying to a degree of sound tweaking and nuance with cable swaps that was utterly foreign to my experience and understanding. It would have been very easy for me during those times to join the ever present chorus of folks who treat cable enthuiasts and cable rolling with scorn and scepticism However instead I chose to reflect on how many highly experienced, well informed and consistently reliable people I saw, time and time again, testifying to their experiences of the wide vistas of sound tweaking that can be accomplished with a little cable rolling. I'm still not there yet with my own perceptions and experiences, however my horizons and perspective has been thoroughly broadened around the degrees of subtlety (and often not so subtle) that can be affected with cables.

The same I would argue is true of IEMs. There are some IEMs I just don't get on with for a variety of reasons-- but when I see numerous folks within a broad and experienced community like this one highly regarding them my first instinct now is to try and understand the different points of view people bring to the table and index my own disatisfaction, if it persists, in a way that conveys understanding rather than implying that all these folks are heaping praise on a broken or otherwise undeserving IEM.

30F69A34-21EE-4E26-8D81-02D5FFB59BED.JPEG

All of that said, haters gonna hate but this particular source and IEM pairup remains the pinnacle of my own personal audio explorations. YMMV, and all that.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2024 at 4:28 PM Post #77,642 of 88,652
All of that said, haters gonna hate but this particular source and IEM pairup remains the pinnacle of my own personal audio explorations. YMMV, and all that.
I, too, am loving an IEM that is hated by most. Fortunately I couldn't care less. As these are my ears, my references, my preferences, my music, my experience, my goals, my money, my everything. Until I get a better idea. And if I don't, so be it. Happy listening drftr... 🥰

Said drftr

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:30 PM Post #77,643 of 88,652
I, too, am loving an IEM that is hated by most. Fortunately I couldn't care less. As these are my ears, my references, my preferences, my music, my experience, my goals, my money, my everything. Until I get a better idea. And if I don't, so be it. Happy listening drftr... 🥰

Said drftr
Amen! 🙏🏼

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:37 PM Post #77,644 of 88,652
Listening to it right now and it's very nice indeed. Unfortunately my audio memory isn't that great and I've found l lack the delicacy of perception requisite to really do a fine toothed analysis between sonic differences in cables...though admittedly there does seem to be a dash of secret sauce present here in the bass relative to the gold plated silver cable I was previously using which seemed to place more emphasis on clarity in the mids and uppers.

Some recent discussion got me thinking about a factor that all too often is missing from some of the interactions in this hobby...and that is humility. Our current capacity for online transcontinental interactions has helped created a community whereby folks of all ages, nationalities and various other persuasions spanning the globe have come together in a rather unprecedented way to share and celebrate their experiences in this hobby. There is, it seems, no limit to the variety in perspectives and experiences we can all bring to the table. Sometimes, being only human, it can be difficult for us at times to see beyond the horizon of our own biases and temperaments. I have been guilty of this myself at times. Affection for cables for me is a classic example. Once upon a time I couldn't really understand all the discussion I witnessed around cables-- with folks testifying to a degree of sound tweaking and nuance with cable swaps that was utterly foreign to my experience and understanding. It would have been very easy for me during those times to join the ever present chorus of folks who treat cable enthuiasts and cable rolling with scorn and scepticism However instead I chose to reflect on how many highly experienced, well informed and consistently reliable people I saw, time and time again, testifying to their experiences of the wide vistas of sound tweaking that can be accomplished with a little cable rolling. I'm still not there yet with my own perceptions and experiences, however my horizons and perspective has been thoroughly broadened around the degrees of subtlety (and often not so subtle) that can be affected with cables.

The same I would argue is true of IEMs. There are some IEMs I just don't get on with for a variety of reasons-- but when I see numerous folks within a broad and experienced community like this one highly regarding them my first instinct now is to try and understand the different points of view people bring to the table and index my own satisfaction, if it persists, in a way that conveys understanding rather than implying that all these folks are heaping praise on a broken or otherwise undeserving IEM.

Very nicely expressed.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #77,645 of 88,652

The same I would argue is true of IEMs. There are some IEMs I just don't get on with for a variety of reasons-- but when I see numerous folks within a broad and experienced community like this one highly regarding them my first instinct now is to try and understand the different points of view people bring to the table and index my own satisfaction, if it persists, in a way that conveys understanding rather than implying that all these folks are heaping praise on a broken or otherwise undeserving IEM.

Well said. I too, have to switch the cable frequently to hear the difference. I am currently demoing Plussound XL and quad-copper cables, and I just sent the code 24/24c out a few days ago. Now I completely cannot recall the sound of code 24 detailed enough in order to compare to Plussound XL.

I also remember somebody sneering at a cable review post:" How do you manage to hear a cable". I had the similar doubt many years ago since reviewing one piece of equipment, it is hard to isolate the other parts of the music chain. Now I start to apricate all difference reviews as long as they are not paid influencers.

For the haters, oblivion is bliss. At least they save their hard earned money and not not fall in this rabbit hole :).

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:46 PM Post #77,646 of 88,652

Said drftr
What iem are you enjoying?

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #77,647 of 88,652
What iem are you enjoying?

The Noble Sultan I believe. Case in point to what I've written above. That was an IEM I'd almost written off due to some impressions I'd read from others. However the profound respect I've developed for @drftr and how nuanced his impressions are and particular he is about what he likes...have placed that IEM at the top of my "demo if I ever get the chance" list.

Jan 9, 2024 at 4:53 PM Post #77,648 of 88,652
The Noble Sultan I believe. Case in point to what I've written above. That was an IEM I'd almost written off due to some impressions I'd read from others. However the profound respect I've developed for @drftr and how nuanced his impressions are and particular he is about what he likes...have placed that IEM at the top of my "demo if I ever get the chance" list.
Noble Audio Sultan is an amazing iem. It is one of my favorite iems. Would love for @drftr to link or share impressions if he is willing. Thank you for clarifying.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #77,649 of 88,652
You should, especially because @Sajid Amit loves it too, and you guys seem to mostly have the same taste.

Noble Audio Sultan is an amazing iem. It is one of my favorite iems. Would love for @drftr to link or share impressions if he is willing. Thank you for clarifying.
On my way to dream land now but I will send you some links tomorrow from my pre-honeymoon phase. Ongezouten indrukken.

drftr

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #77,651 of 88,652
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #77,652 of 88,652
Jan 9, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #77,654 of 88,652
I have been guilty of this myself at times. Affection for cables for me is a classic example. Once upon a time I couldn't really understand all the discussion I witnessed around cables-- with folks testifying to a degree of sound tweaking and nuance with cable swaps that was utterly foreign to my experience and understanding.

It doesn't help that the cost of a cable can be as much as the IEM itself sometimes. It's hard to believe that it can make a big enough difference to justify the cost.... or maybe it doesn't. I started the journey with speaker cables first, HP's, and then IEMs. I've never had a bad stock cable (maybe pairing of source, stock cable, and iem), but HP have some terrible ones (hifiman susvara for example). Recently I got an opportunity to really try out different combination of cable with the same IEM because of the 2pin connector or EA ConX system. Through this test, it confirmed the sound differences a cable can make that is similar to speakers (although easier to change on IEM). Unfortunately for HP, it is annoying that just about every mfg has their own connector type. I sum up cables to be... It's $ well spent, if my brain/ears tell me it's better.

:deadhorse: I hope I have your sense of risk managements, I put all of them not only in my own house, but also in one room, and as matter of fact, in one cabinet where I store all the stuff: Modem, wired router, wireless router, devices for my google voice, all NAS servers. I should start to relocate them, probably in another state maybe since in California we all anticipate the overdue big earthquake to come.

It just depends on how paranoid you are =) Although it has not happened yet (fingers crossed), I fear the day my data is lost because the nas is stolen or destroyed. Music will probably be easier to recover, since I can scour the internet to redownload from the stores I bought the digital copy from. But my personal photos that were taken with an SLR or home made family videos will be lost.

Jan 9, 2024 at 5:43 PM Post #77,655 of 88,652
Along came the Camelot

I've been continuing with the WM1AM2 + Iliad + Camelot combo and this is very difficult to put down. The Camelot that was pretty good has now become difficult to take off. The synergy is that good.

Over the past 5-6 years, 64audio A18t has been my #1 for my preferences and not many came close to dislodging it or sharing the #1 spot. Camelot might well do that and coincidentally they're almost in the similar price bracket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back