The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 4, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #13,411 of 89,865
Welp, I couldn't resist. Let's see if I can get the fit sorted out. Spiral Dot MS at the ready!

1646416100010.png
Haha. I could tell you were conflicted this weekend. Given the want to buy ads in the Classifieds, if it doesn't work out, there are probably a lot of takers if you want to sell or do a trade. Welcome to the cult, er, I mean club.

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:55 PM Post #13,412 of 89,865
Haha. I could tell you were conflicted this weekend. Given the want to buy ads in the Classifieds, if it doesn't work out, there are probably a lot of takers if you want to sell or do a trade. Welcome to the cult, er, I mean club.
oMg He SaId It ThEy ArE iN a CuLt!!!!!1!!!!1!!!

Mar 4, 2022 at 12:59 PM Post #13,413 of 89,865
S+ list, but really speaks a lot about your high opinion of the Zen Pro.

There's a magic and allure brought about by the incomparable coherence of a single DD setup that in my experience has not yet been captured by even the most advanced and well-tuned hybrid models. Plus the Zen Pro is masterfully tuned imho-- no single DD will be perfect but the Zen Pro has come closer than any others I've tried for my tastes. It's all the more remarkable given the graph, based on which I should have run as far away from the Zen Pro as possible.

Welp, I couldn't resist. Let's see if I can get the fit sorted out. Spiral Dot MS at the ready!

Congrats! I hope it lives up to the hype and you can get the fit sorted. DX300 should be a great source for based on what I've heard.

How my day is shaping up:

5B9D4737-ED8F-46A4-9D99-37B354C650F7.JPEG

Edit: Page 900 soon...we'll be at 1000 before too long. Is anyone from this thread planning on hitting up CanJam SG next month?

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:00 PM Post #13,414 of 89,865
Thanks lol. Yes, I really didn't want to write these off after ~15 minutes at CanJam. I loved the sonics and figure I owe it to myself to see how I get along with the fit after some tip rolling and some EXTended listening sessions.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:05 PM Post #13,415 of 89,865
Congrats! I hope it lives up to the hype and you can get the fit sorted. DX300 should be a great source for based on what I've heard.

Edit: Page 900 soon...we'll be at 1000 before too long. Is anyone from this thread planning on hitting up CanJam SG next month?
Appreciate it! Very excited to get them in.

Looks like you're certainly making the best of your forced sick day. Hope you're feeling better soon... music and relaxation will definitely help. Doctor's orders!

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:09 PM Post #13,416 of 89,865
There's a magic and allure brought about by the incomparable coherence of a single DD setup that in my experience has not yet been captured by even the most advanced and well-tuned hybrid models. Plus the Zen Pro is masterfully tuned imho-- no single DD will be perfect but the Zen Pro has come closer than any others I've tried for my tastes. It's all the more remarkable given the graph, based on which I should have run as far away from the Zen Pro as possible.
I agree. I always want to have a single DD in my collection. For now, it's Isabellae for me.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:11 PM Post #13,417 of 89,865
An update about the open source IEM project I posted about earlier, It has taken a different direction.
I am an advocate for open source software and open source hardware is on the rise, the idea stems from making the tools and resources available for other manufacturers (or any other 3rd party) to produce and modify IEM designs with publishing the branch being the only legal obligation.
Not to mention the invaluable documentation for repairs past the IEM lifetime.

Why?
Evolve the audio industry by the power of public domain.
Prevent people from re-inventing the wheel when they don't have to.
Because it's radical.

The time hasn't come for a project of this scale to take off, I will keep it on the shelf.

FIR Audio Stay updated on FIR Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.firaudio.com/
Mar 4, 2022 at 1:22 PM Post #13,419 of 89,865

I agree. I always want to have a single DD in my collection. For now, it's Isabellae for me.

My go to single DD right now is the CCA CRA lol

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:24 PM Post #13,420 of 89,865
An update about the open source IEM project I posted about earlier, It has taken a different direction.
I am an advocate for open source software and open source hardware is on the rise, the idea stems from making the tools and resources available for other manufacturers (or any other 3rd party) to produce and modify IEM designs with publishing the branch being the only legal obligation.
Not to mention the invaluable documentation for repairs past the IEM lifetime.

Why?
Evolve the audio industry by the power of public domain.
Prevent people from re-inventing the wheel when they don't have to.
Because it's radical.

The time hasn't come for a project of this scale to take off, I will keep it on the shelf.

Nice...thank-you for sharing :) I'm looking forward to further developments whenever the time is right. Thanks again for helping to facilitate the Frontier Series loaners...those IEMs have made a massive impression on me and I know they will for others too. Cheers!

I’m tapped out of IEM money for the next couple of months.

Around here this is usually what someone says right before they buy a new set of IEMs.

Mar 4, 2022 at 1:26 PM Post #13,421 of 89,865

5B9D4737-ED8F-46A4-9D99-37B354C650F7.JPEG

That makes me want to buy the neon 4 just to complete the family picture!

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:00 PM Post #13,423 of 89,865
Some KR5 vs. XE6 thoughts.

Tracks used: Some D&B, electronic, Peter Gabriel Solsbury Hill, CCR Green River

1) I enjoy KR5 a lot more through the balanced tonality of the M9 vs. the M8
2) Bass on KR5 is of equivalent quality to that of XE6 viz a viz it's class leading
3) KR5 has a more punchy and impactful sound...bass is more noticeable and present
4) XE6 has a more lush, natural, spacious, holographic and to my ears balanced sound-- I love me some e-stats...my top 3 and all the hybrids in my top 5 have e-stat highs...I think I'm addicted.
5) KR5 holds the crown for my favorite hybrid with DD bass and BA mids & highs
6) While not as noticeable as on the M8 KR5 is still more bright leaning than XE6...I wouldn't say it's sibilant or shouty but mids are just a touch energetic, sharp and strident to my ears at times...as evidenced on the vocals in Green River and Solsbury hill.
7) Both are top 10 IEMs but XE6 is a near total refinement and upgrade to KR5 for me. YMsomethingsomething.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:11 PM Post #13,424 of 89,865
Some KR5 vs. XE6 thoughts.

Tracks used: Some D&B, electronic, Peter Gabriel Solsbury Hill, CCR Green River

1) I enjoy KR5 a lot more through the balanced tonality of the M9 vs. the M8
2) Bass on KR5 is of equivalent quality to that of XE6 viz a viz it's class leading
3) KR5 has a more punchy and impactful sound...bass is more noticeable and present
4) XE6 has a more lush, natural, spacious, holographic and to my ears balanced sound-- I love me some e-stats...my top 3 and all the hybrids in my top 5 have e-stat highs...I think I'm addicted.
5) KR5 holds the crown for my favorite hybrid with DD bass and BA mids & highs
6) While not as noticeable as on the M8 KR5 is still more bright leaning than XE6...I wouldn't say it's sibilant or shouty but mids are just a touch energetic, sharp and strident to my ears at times...as evidenced on the vocals in Green River and Solsbury hill.
7) Both are top 10 IEMs but XE6 is a near total refinement and upgrade to KR5 for me. YMsomethingsomething.
Would you say KR5 are good for ambient kinda music? That's whatbI bought them for. Also do tell which modules did you use for both.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #13,425 of 89,865
Would you say KR5 are good for ambient kinda music?

Sorry I don't listen to a lot of ambient so I'm probably not the best reference there.

That's whatbI bought them for. Also do tell which modules did you use for both.

Stock (silver I think?) in both cases...I loved XE6 so much out of the box that I didn't feel the urge to play around with them too much, as they're quite small and my Frankenstein fingers have a hard time with them. That said what little I did play with them suggests to me that KR5 is, on the whole, more energetic/less relaxing across the FR to my ears than the XE6. Stage is a lot bigger on XE6.

Sorry if this wasn't helpful.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back