The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 4, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #13,381 of 91,345
Meeeeee. This was something I planned to pre order regardless of impressions, looking forward to getting it.
It ticks so many boxes from the sounds of it. Cayin pulled out all the stops. Can't wait to hear your impressions once you get it in hand!

I've been contemplating adding a C9 to pair with the DX300 but I'm a sucker for all-in-one units rather than having to futz about with interconnects.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:31 AM Post #13,382 of 91,345
Meeeeee. This was something I planned to pre order regardless of impressions, looking forward to getting it.

What are you hoping to get from it that the M9 couldn't provide? I think I already called dibs on it if you decide to sell it (lol)...but that was before I bought your M9...which I'm absolutely in love with by the way...thank-you so much (again).

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #13,383 of 91,345
What are you hoping to get from it that the M9 couldn't provide. I think I already called dibs on it if you decide to sell it...but that was before I bought your M9...which I'm absolutely in love with by the way...thank-you so much (again).

Nothing. 😂

I’ll end up keeping the DX240 over it, calling it now lol.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #13,384 of 91,345
Jaker, what would you be using as a source/DAP with the EXT? Its a power hungry IEM.

I am not sure The Vision Ears EXT such a power hungry IEM ....
First I was astonished that the EXT with the FIIO M17 or Centrance Ampersand would offer very good results in High Gain (both with something like 2X2W to 2X3W)....... but for one week now I make some intensive A/B comparison with the rather poor powered Sony WM1A (probably less than 2x240mW) .. and the Vision Ears EXT do offer again a very impressive sound quality (Volume set at 90/120 volume level in high gain too)...
2 weeks ago with the portable iFi Go Blu, the Vision Ears EXT was also at the a very good sound quality level.

I didn't try yet with the Less BX2+, if I could reach a higher SQ level, but, now, after 2 months owning it, I think that the EXT is not exactly a power hungry IEM.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #13,385 of 91,345
I am not sure The Vision Ears EXT such a power hungry IEM ....
First I was astonished that the EXT with the FIIO M17 or Centrance Ampersand would offer very good results in High Gain (both with something like 2X2W to 2X3W)....... but for one week now I make some intensive A/B comparison with the rather poor powered Sony WM1A (probably less than 2x240mW) .. and the Vision Ears EXT do offer again a very impressive sound quality (Volume set at 90/120 volume level in high gain too)...
2 weeks ago with the portable iFi Go Blu, the Vision Ears EXT was also at the a very good sound quality level.

I didn't try yet with the Less BX2+, if I could reach a higher SQ level, but, now, after 2 months owning it, I think that the EXT is not exactly a power hungry IEM.

It's not a power hungry like Elysium, which would sound a bit meh if it was underpowered...but it's power hungry along the lines of something like the IER Z1R, which sounds OK out of an Apple Dongle but immensely better if you use it with a more powerful source. EXT sounds great through my SR25ii...but vastly better out of the Shanling M9.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #13,386 of 91,345
Dropping a size with Spiral Dot++ on MEXT might save the day... I absolutely love them.

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:44 AM Post #13,387 of 91,345
Who here has a N8ii on pre-order? I just read through that entire thread, re-read @HiFiHawaii808's CanJam impressions, @twister6's first look and lastly @rev92's review and now I want one.

Le sigh... I really need to stay away from this website 🤦‍♂️
I just want to say I'm sorry to your wallet 😂🙈

Anyway, its a lovely device, you wont be dissapionted for sure!

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #13,388 of 91,345
Who here has a N8ii on pre-order? I just read through that entire thread, re-read @HiFiHawaii808's CanJam impressions, @twister6's first look and lastly @rev92's review and now I want one.

Le sigh... I really need to stay away from this website 🤦‍♂️
Meeeeee 2 and LOL same reasoning :smiley_cat:

Mar 4, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #13,389 of 91,345
I just love music, period. By all means PM or post some Bengali folk you really connect with, would appreciate the share.

(you can go through the entire playlist if you like)

although, I like this alternate cover version of the above:

Dang...I went full gones blazing there...I hope you do not get overwhelmed and take time to explore them. They are a nice ensemble of different rhythm and style, not just folk. I hope you like it.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #13,390 of 91,345
Dropping a size with Spiral Dot++ on MEXT might save the day... I absolutely love them.
I did that with my EVO's last night - despite trying different techniques, I still get a fair bit of driver flex. Last night, I tossed the Xelastics and rolled Spiral Dot++ which improved a bit but didn't remove all of it and are just as comfortable - best part they're not sticky, LOL.

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #13,391 of 91,345
It's not a power hungry like Elysium, which would sound like crap if i was underpowered...but its power hungry along the lines of something like the IER Z1R, which sounds OK out of an Apple Dongle but sounds immensely better if you use it with a more powerful source. EXT sounds great through my SR25ii...but vastly better out of the Shanling M9.

You are probably right, as I don't know the SR25II or the M9 ...

Maybe, it can be due to the power efficiency of the class D amp of the WM1A, but as far I can make some near real-time A/B comparison with my Kann Alpha (12V output), Fiio M10 (2x3W), Ampersand (2x3W) .. For me, the theoretically poor WM1A is not really behind these 3 powerful daps/amp in terms of SQ, if not at same level with the EXT.
I would even say this already with my IER-Z1R, I think the WM1A could handle it very nicely too, compared to my Kann Alpha and Centrance M8V2 (unfortunately I can't use the Z1R anymore as one driver died).
Of course, I wouldn't say that the WM1A can handle any of my headphones DCA Stealth and HEDDphone One .. It definitely can't manage this at all !!!! And even the Z7M2 is falling short quite often with DSD and the WM1A.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #13,392 of 91,345
@Scuba Devils even after scouring through more than 20 pages I could not find an impression post of FD7 from you. Were they that unimpressive? If not, kindly post some impressions when you get some time. I skipped it in favour of other DD iems, need to know if I did right or should I pick it up preloved.

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:55 AM Post #13,393 of 91,345
I'm sure quite a few. Zen Pro & Timeless (and probably some other stuff) were purchased by me largely because of this thread. Im sure a similar situation holds for others too.

Nice. The original N8 was the first DAP that really made me say "holy sh1t" and I've long been a Cayin fanboy. I'm really hoping for the opportunity to hear the n8ii sometime...can't wait to hear your thoughts on it.

I wouldn't say M9 is "bassy"-- and it's certainly not as low-end emphasized as the M8. But Shanling is well known for tuning magic in the lows and this is most certainly true on the M9.

M9 is not the most portable either...it's a chonk. In terms of SQ I imagine they're both close to the same level...with subtle differences and individual preferences being the deciding factors. Shanling sources as a rule seem to excel with DD based IEMs.

iu-29.jpeg

These two have totally different sort of fit issues. With Monarch it's with the external part of people's ears that the issues arise, with EXT it's inside people's ears.
Another thing which this thread has done is to introduce me to good music! Just downloaded FLACs of We Like it Here and listening to the album while catching up on the Watercooler!! Just awesome!

Mar 4, 2022 at 10:57 AM Post #13,394 of 91,345
@Scuba Devils even after scouring through more than 20 pages I could not find an impression post of FD7 from you. Were they that unimpressive? If not, kindly post some impressions when you get some time. I skipped it in favour of other DD iems, need to know if I did right or should I pick it up preloved.
He had fit issues and had to return it though he did say he liked it. Shame as i was really hoping to get his impressions vis-à-vis Zen Pro.

Mar 4, 2022 at 11:04 AM Post #13,395 of 91,345

(you can go through the entire playlist if you like)

although, I like this alternate cover version of the above:

Dang...I went full gones blazing there...I hope you do not get overwhelmed and take time to explore them. They are a nice ensemble of different rhythm and style, not just folk. I hope you like it.

Thanks Ace Bee. Really enjoyed auditioning them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back