The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 23, 2024 at 3:20 PM Post #89,851 of 91,346
Actually, this brings up an interesting point. I was simply going to Mojo 2 them all, since that is the source I'm currently using. Should I test them all with an Apple dongle instead?
If your point is to experience them like those people who think they are giant killer, then yes, you're absolutely right. By using the Mojo 2, a 400 E device, you already take them out of the reach of their supporters. The question is: would your ears bleed if you go this route? :wink:

Shall I start sketching up an experimental matrix?

May 23, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #89,852 of 91,346
I mean… it could also be “worse” than Amber Pearl, price doesn’t always mean “better” in this hobby imo 🤷🏽‍♂️
you are a wise man....

May 23, 2024 at 3:55 PM Post #89,853 of 91,346
It's not an assumption though, it's basic arithmetic. Adding a Y-priced cable to an X-priced IEM will in fact result in a pairing that costs X+Y.
Sound like Spock now... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

May 23, 2024 at 4:08 PM Post #89,854 of 91,346
So a little while ago, I decided to do something a little crazy.

Curious as to just whether any of these budget stalwarts were actually the "giant killers" that some have claimed them to be, I went on a mini-spree and picked up a handful of units to survey. And thanks to the generosity of some Watercoolers, there's even a bonus unit to check out, in the form of a CCA Trio. 🥰

ChiFiSurveyQ22024a.png

I've been a little busy as of late, so the units have just been sitting there, undergoing what I call passive burn-in. But now, it looks like I'll finally be able to get to them this coming weekend! 🥳

ChiFiSurveyQ22024b.png

I have no idea what to expect, let's see how this goes! :relaxed:
Are you sure your on the right thread?

Even though I am the founder for the discovery thread. Never in my life have I put a CCA or KZ IEM in my ears. I am sure there are some that are better than others, I mean when you come out with an IEM a week it seems theres bound to be a few decent ones.

I did however try a TRN IEM once.. Which was all I needed to never try one again. No matter how many folks gushed about said new pokemon cheapo. I can assume after tying to make it big with these new cheaper releases every week. Some are bound to sound decent. Looking forward to your shoot out there.

May 23, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #89,855 of 91,346
ctually, this brings up an interesting point. I was simply going to Mojo 2 them all, since that is the source I'm currently using. Should I test them all with an Apple dongle instead?
I would advocate for testing them with what you use ( the Mojo ) and the dongle. This will let us know if they can scale at all, and if they can play with the big boys.

May 23, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #89,856 of 91,346
1716495816148.png

What would be some recommendations for an IEM and DAP COMBO for under or upto $2K that specializes in Ambient/Electronic Music like this:
RoonShareImage-638520782806295740.png

By specializing I should add a soundstage that is cavernous (or at least your version of cavernous) while remaining detailed for the ambient sounds and with bass that makes you feel the music (V-Shaped is the easy way to say it but I don't want to prejudice or pigeonhole it to limit replies). I know this can be a difficult ask and I also know that it has been likely covered here a few times in the past to a similar degree but I figured if you have a few minutes you would offer me some recommendations based on your experience.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone here is doing great, I have been dealing with a few serious family issues the last 6 weeks or so, so please pardon my absence. :)

1IH

May 23, 2024 at 4:49 PM Post #89,857 of 91,346
Yes!
It's my first custom keyboard I've built ☺️But I will defer myself to @Sifo as he's the real expert in that hobby.

I miss you Joop!
I love everyone here and occasionally drop by to see the latest conversation trending.

To answer your question, I've found our audiophile experience to be determined by the entire chain of gears, hence I place so much emphasis in searching for synergy and maximum utilization of everything I have available. My latest fanatic has been experimenting with different usb-c cables haha

The iem itself do "make or break" my entry-level heaven, but I've never allowed myself to jump to conclusions too quickly without fully exploring the capacity of what it can offer.

The problem with budget-fi is its low price floor to allow any companies to join the competition, which will inevitably saturate the market with less-than poor mediocre iems. But there really have been nice offerings nowadays especially from newer models, which is why I've found myself content to be here after years of chasing summit-end flagship.

But this may be a temporary euphoria as I occasionally get intoxicated by what the highest-end iems can bring haha

Absolutely loved my time with Pmg APX and I'm aware Dio is already near completion phase after my recent time spent with @Suyang and Lee (Elysian Audio)
Nice to read you Steve, we missed you!

May 23, 2024 at 5:10 PM Post #89,858 of 91,346
If your point is to experience them like those people who think they are giant killer, then yes, you're absolutely right. By using the Mojo 2, a 400 E device, you already take them out of the reach of their supporters. The question is: would your ears bleed if you go this route? :wink:

Ugh, I was afraid of that. I don't think I'd hemorrhage, but I can tell you that this weekend just became a lot less fun for me. 😭 And I just thought of something worse... does this mean I need to put away TIDAL, Qobuz, lossless (or better) files and do Spotify? And Spotify free tier at that? 😮

Sound like Spock now... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Thank you sir! 🙏

Are you sure your on the right thread?

:smile: lol, probably not... but it's happening anyway! 🤣

Even though I am the founder for the discovery thread. Never in my life have I put a CCA or KZ IEM in my ears. I am sure there are some that are better than others, I mean when you come out with an IEM a week it seems theres bound to be a few decent ones.

They slowed down to a weekly release schedule? Man, supply chain problems are real! :open_mouth:

I did however try a TRN IEM once.. Which was all I needed to never try one again. No matter how many folks gushed about said new pokemon cheapo. I can assume after tying to make it big with these new cheaper releases every week. Some are bound to sound decent. Looking forward to your shoot out there.

Law of Large Numbers? I don't think i'll have much luck with that, my sample size is seven. :slight_frown:

I would advocate for testing them with what you use ( the Mojo ) and the dongle. This will let us know if they can scale at all, and if they can play with the big boys.

Okay, but wouldn't that be unfair? Pretty sure they weren't using Chord gear when they came to their conclusions. :thinking:

May 23, 2024 at 5:17 PM Post #89,860 of 91,346
Ugh, I was afraid of that. I don't think I'd hemorrhage, but I can tell you that this weekend just became a lot less fun for me. 😭 And I just thought of something worse... does this mean I need to put away TIDAL, Qobuz, lossless (or better) files and do Spotify? And Spotify free tier at that? 😮

Okay, but wouldn't that be unfair? Pretty sure they weren't using Chord gear when they came to their conclusions. :thinking:
just use Tidal, some FLACs, if you dont want to use an apple dongle there are plenty of sub-40 buck dongle dacs, snag one and try that!

save your Chord/cable swaps impressions for last so they don't color your expectations. they are valuable comparisons to people here!

edit - the rose technics dongle i got in a review pack sounds like, really good for the 28 bucks costs imo. much better than an apple one!
https://rosetechnics.com/products/rz-300m-hifi-headphone-amplifier-dac-adapter

Last edited:
May 23, 2024 at 5:19 PM Post #89,861 of 91,346
Spotify Free. . . . Just shoot yourself. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

🤣

I'll suffer the files if I must, but ugh, ads.

just use Tidal, some FLACs, if you dont want to use an apple dongle there are plenty of sub-40 buck dongle dacs, snag one and try that!

save your Chord/cable swaps impressions for last so they don't color your expectations. they are valuable comparisons to people here!

I'll post some impressions here. If there's any interest after that, we can try to improve things with better gear. Based on anecdotal evidence, I have reason to believe that the CCA Trio will stand to benefit most from further experimentation.

May 23, 2024 at 5:23 PM Post #89,862 of 91,346
I'll post some impressions here. If there's any interest after that, we can try to improve things with better gear. Based on anecdotal evidence, I have reason to believe that the CCA Trio will stand to benefit most from further experimentation.
the Trio hums beautifully on the DC-Elite :laughing:

May 23, 2024 at 5:28 PM Post #89,863 of 91,346
lol, nope, I'm sticking with the stock cables for all of these. If the mfgs wanted me to experience better, then they should have included better. Or, let me put it this way: if I have to substitute the stock cable with another in my inventory, the cheapest of which would be ten times the price of their unit, then their value proposition is totally lost.
2 words: Black Cat
(IEM cable by NiceHCK for ~$20 on AliExpress)

Still keeps many of the pokemon Chi-Fi IEMs at under $50 (IEM + improved cable), and still represent an AMAZING value!

As I shared privately with some of my buddies offline, IMHO Chi-Fi made very big steps in the last 1-2 years to shrink the gap from TOTL IEMs.
TOTL IEMs are still better, but their improvement was not nearly as big (harder to improve as you get closer to the peak of the summit...)

May 23, 2024 at 5:49 PM Post #89,864 of 91,346
May 23, 2024 at 6:03 PM Post #89,865 of 91,346
I was hoping you were trying to answer the question for us as well. We use dongles, daps, portable and desktop systems. I would not expect you to use all systems, it just takes too long. You can use your Mojo primarily and then check results quickly to see if any different on the dongle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back