The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 4, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #13,426 of 91,345
Sorry I don't listen to a lot of ambient so I'm probably not the best reference there.

Stock (silver I think?) in both cases...I loved XE6 so much out of the box that I didn't feel the urge to play around with them too much, as they're quite small and my Frankenstein fingers have a hard time with them. That said what little I did play with them suggests to me that KR5 is, one the whole, more energetic/less relaxing across the FR to my ears than the XE6. Stage is a lot bigger on XE6.

Sorry if this wasn't helpful.
That'll do, thanks! How's the soundstage and imaging between these two?

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #13,427 of 91,345
Sorry I don't listen to a lot of ambient so I'm probably not the best reference there.

Stock (silver I think?) in both cases...I loved XE6 so much out of the box that I didn't feel the urge to play around with them too much, as they're quite small and my Frankenstein fingers have a hard time with them. That said what little I did play with them suggests to me that KR5 is, one the whole, more energetic/less relaxing across the FR to my ears than the XE6. Stage is a lot bigger on XE6.

Sorry if this wasn't helpful.

I also hear the XE6 to be larger and more spherical but that goes against some other impressions. XE6 throws me into the music right into the middle and puts sounds all around me.

KR5 I feel like I’m standing slightly back and looking at a stage with a slightly wider presentation.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:26 PM Post #13,428 of 91,345
I also hear the XE6 to be larger and more spherical but that goes against some other impressions. XE6 throws me into the music right into the middle and puts sounds all around me.

KR5 I feel like I’m standing slightly back and looking at a stage with a slightly wider presentation.

Yeah honestly I think that's the magic of the e-stats. They're really hard for me to go back from now that I've gotten used to them on various IEMs.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #13,429 of 91,345
Yeah honestly I think that's the magic of the e-stats. They're really hard for me to go back from now that I've gotten used to them on various IEMs.

XE6 has the most basic but lovely estat use. I believe Alex from FiR said it’s doing the 13khz + region… no fancy # of EST drivers like the EXT/X/Jewel but damn that upper treble/air is fantastic and buttery smooth.

The fact these don’t need a high powered source to sound good is awesome too. Both Jewel and Annihilator really benefit from a high quality source. I can use these with great results from my phone or my DAP. 64audio and FiR IEMs are great in that regard.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #13,430 of 91,345
I was just listening to the following album on Traillii - it sounded lush, melodic, full of detail in a huge space, but definitely lacked the DD thud - while it's not necessarily peak time dance floor material, it's not particularly chilled either and calls for more exciting tuning. Switched to MEXT and much more suited - very satisfying mid bass kicks, and huge deep sub rumbles, retaining the lovely vibrant theme of the album.

This is the upgrade path I'm curious about, can't wait to establish if EXT delivers...

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #13,431 of 91,345
XE6 has the most basic but lovely estat use. I believe Alex from FiR said it’s doing the 13khz + region… no fancy # of EST drivers like the EXT/X/Jewel but damn that upper treble/air is fantastic and buttery smooth.

And unmistakable...it adds a tangible dimensionality to the stage and naturalness to the sound.

The fact these don’t need a high powered source to sound good is awesome too. Both Jewel and Annihilator really benefit from a high quality source. I can use these with great results from my phone or my DAP. 64audio and FiR IEMs are great in that regard.

+1...these sound damn good out of my M9 (which I suppose you of all people know lol)

I did a quick comparison with the NE4...a lot of the same DNA in the highs and lows as the KR5. I stand by my original assessment that the biggest difference going from KR5 to NE4 is the more forward mids of the former and comparative recession in the mids in the latter. This was more noticeable on the M8 but is still noticeable on the M9. Because of the slight fatigue I feel from the mids on the KR5 a times I wonder if NE4 would be a better all rounder for me despite my overall general preference for more forward mids. They're all solid IEMs but the XE6 is the undisputed king of this castle for me. I could see myself picking one up some day if I can get it for a good deal used down the road.

Mar 4, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #13,432 of 91,345
Screenshot_20220304-114547.png

I don't really need it. But at $14 why not? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Mar 4, 2022 at 3:21 PM Post #13,433 of 91,345

My favourite implementations of e-stats have used that exact config. The ELYSIUM was one of the earliest to do it, followed by the M5. BAs tend to have a harder edge than the wishy-washy-er ESTs, which I think fits the low-treble (and instruments like the hi-hat and crash cymbal) a lot better.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:01 PM Post #13,436 of 91,345
I was just listening to the following album on Traillii - it sounded lush, melodic, full of detail in a huge space, but definitely lacked the DD thud - while it's not necessarily peak time dance floor material, it's not particularly chilled either and calls for more exciting tuning. Switched to MEXT and much more suited - very satisfying mid bass kicks, and huge deep sub rumbles, retaining the lovely vibrant theme of the album.

This is the upgrade path I'm curious about, can't wait to establish if EXT delivers...

Thanks for the album recommendation. Back in my hotel room, unwinding after gym, ready for ZZZs with EVO x 3MAX + Phaeleh. Mmm melodic spatial album with deep EVO sub bass rumbles.

IMG_4324.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2022 at 4:12 PM Post #13,437 of 91,345

From all your posts describing the two, it is definitely XE6 that draws my interest. Much prefer when an IEM can create that enveloping sound stage.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:16 PM Post #13,438 of 91,345
1FBBC686-CE52-42EE-AF11-52C100D3824B.jpeg

They’re back! Distance has made the heart grow fonder. 😍

Now to CIEM or not.. these fit me really well so it doesn’t seem too smart from a financial standpoint but … 🤷🏽‍♂️
Doesn't look like Aroma offers matte finish shells... I'd say that should immediately rule customs out for you. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:21 PM Post #13,439 of 91,345
From all your posts describing the two, it is definitely XE6 that draws my interest. Much prefer when an IEM can create that enveloping sound stage.

We seem to like similar IEMs :wink:

You’d like both the XE6 and KR5. The 5 is probably better for pure electronic music with it’s brighter and snappier sound but it doesn’t have the bass body and raw engagement ability of the XE6. I also think the XE6 treble is a step above, even with the warmth it is just so so smooth and detailed.

Mar 4, 2022 at 4:22 PM Post #13,440 of 91,345
And unmistakable...it adds a tangible dimensionality to the stage and naturalness to the sound.

+1...these sound damn good out of my M9 (which I suppose you of all people know lol)

I did a quick comparison with the NE4...a lot of the same DNA in the highs and lows as the KR5. I stand by my original assessment that the biggest difference going from KR5 to NE4 is the more forward mids of the former and comparative recession in the mids in the latter. This was more noticeable on the M8 but is still noticeable on the M9. Because of the slight fatigue I feel from the mids on the KR5 a times I wonder if NE4 would be a better all rounder for me despite my overall general preference for more forward mids. They're all solid IEMs but the XE6 is the undisputed king of this castle for me. I could see myself picking one up some day if I can get it for a good deal used down the road.

Interesting... I have not heard Kr5, but after comparing Ne4 with Xe6, I heard Ne4 vocals presented as a bit more forward compared to the Xe6. Are you talking male and female vocals? To me, both male and female vocals (to a greater extent) sound closer and more upfront on Ne4, although Xe6 presents male vocals especially with more weight and gusto than on the Ne4. I think perhaps I hear the Ne4 mids as more forward since you don't get quite the treble extension, detail and same level of midbass elevation you get on the Xe6, so the perception is that the Ne4 mids stand out more?

I do agree that the Ne4 provides a more laid back sound and overall an easier listen not because Xe6 is peaky or harsh at all, simply because Xe6 is so dynamic it really entices you to focus on the music, which can get fatiguing for me after awhile. Due to this, I do feel Ne4 may be the better all arounder, despite falling short of Xe6 in many areas. It really isn't fair though since Xe6 is almost twice the price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back