The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 26, 2022 at 6:20 PM Post #10,531 of 91,357
@HiFiHawaii808 - I'm glad to hear you're better.

Can anyone refer some of their favorite classical recordings that are "need to hear"?
I'm a fan of tone poems (or symphonic poems), which are typically quite accessible compositions; they're single-movement orchestral pieces based on a particular theme or idea, often inspired by art and poetry. My favorite is a wonderful, moving one by Rachmaninov: the Isle of the Dead, Opus 29. Rachmaninov was inspired to compose this piece after seeing Arnold Böcklin's painting of the same name, which is understood to be an interpretation of the Greek myth in which Charon ferried the souls of the dead across the River Styx to their afterlives in the underworld.

1280px-Arnold_Böcklin_-_Die_Toteninsel_III_(Alte_Nationalgalerie,_Berlin).jpeg

There are a good number of recordings of Isle of the Dead. The one with the the London Symphonic Orchestra, conducted by André Previn is excellent, as is Vladimir Ashkenazy's version with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. My favorites, though, are two performances conducted by Evgeny Svetlanov: my very favorite is his live recording with the USSR State Academic Orchestra (the CD of it also includes Shostakovich's 5th Symphony). You can buy it here (for a pretty penny, unfortunately), and hear it here (the quality of the recording is better on the CD but it's not ideal):

This is, arguably, the most emotionally involving and dramatic version. Svetlanov also recorded the piece on another occasion, this time with a radically different interpretation, one that's far slower - fully five minutes longer! - and, as a result, it's more foreboding and ponderous. It's great fun to compare the two!

Some of the more well-known tone poems are Richard Strauss's famous Also Sprach Zarathustra as well as his Don Quixote, and Don Juan, among others. Franz Liszt is credited with inventing, or at least popularizing and advancing the symphonic poem. He composed many of them; Les Préludes is a good place to start.

Jean Sibelius composed some tone poems as well, and I'd recommend Finlandia, arguably his most famous work. If you like Isle of the Dead, you should also enjoy Sibelius's wonderfully romantic and beautiful Lemminkäinen Suite. It's not a tone poem, technically, because it has four movements, but it shares some common features with symphonic poems, and you can listen to individual movements, such as The Swan of Tuonela, as though they're tone poems. My favorite version is Julla-Pekka Saraste's interpretation with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, which is linked here to several streaming services, including here:

Jan 26, 2022 at 6:28 PM Post #10,532 of 91,357
I do enjoy Rachmaninov vocalise and some of his night vigils for choir, but it’s more mellow not as dynamic

Jan 26, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #10,533 of 91,357
@HiFiHawaii808 - I'm glad to hear you're better.

I'm a fan of tone poems (or symphonic poems), which are typically quite accessible compositions; they're single-movement orchestral pieces based on a particular theme or idea, often inspired by art and poetry. My favorite is a wonderful, moving one by Rachmaninov: the Isle of the Dead, Opus 29. Rachmaninov was inspired to compose this piece after seeing Arnold Böcklin's painting of the same name, which is understood to be an interpretation of the Greek myth in which Charon ferried the souls of the dead across the River Styx to their afterlives in the underworld.

1280px-Arnold_Böcklin_-_Die_Toteninsel_III_(Alte_Nationalgalerie,_Berlin).jpeg

There are a good number of recordings of Isle of the Dead. The one with the the London Symphonic Orchestra, conducted by André Previn is excellent, as is Vladimir Ashkenazy's version with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra. My favorites, though, are two performances conducted by Evgeny Svetlanov: my very favorite is his live recording with the USSR State Academic Orchestra (the CD of it also includes Shostakovich's 5th Symphony). You can buy it here (for a pretty penny, unfortunately), and hear it here (the quality of the recording is better on the CD but it's not ideal):

This is, arguably, the most emotionally involving and dramatic version. Svetlanov also recorded the piece on another occasion, this time with a radically different interpretation, one that's far slower - fully five minutes longer! - and, as a result, it's more foreboding and ponderous. It's great fun to compare the two!

Some of the more well-known tone poems are Richard Strauss's famous Also Sprach Zarathustra as well as his Don Quixote, and Don Juan, among others. Franz Liszt is credited with inventing, or at least popularizing and advancing the symphonic poem. He composed many of them; Les Préludes is a good place to start.

Jean Sibelius composed some tone poems as well, and I'd recommend Finlandia, arguably his most famous work. If you like Isle of the Dead, you should also enjoy Sibelius's wonderfully romantic and beautiful Lemminkäinen Suite. It's not a tone poem, technically, because it has four movements, but it shares some common features with symphonic poems, and you can listen to individual movements, such as The Swan of Tuonela, as though they're tone poems. My favorite version is Julla-Pekka Saraste's interpretation with the Toronto Symphony Orchestra, which is linked here to several streaming services, including here:

Tremendous, thank you.
I'd never heard of symphonic poems before. Will definitely investigate these recommendations.

Jan 26, 2022 at 6:50 PM Post #10,534 of 91,357
Course there’s fantastic modern classical not really crossover from Daniel hope, max richter, Peter glass, Gregson, Johann johannson, ludovico einaude, olafar arnolds, the knights do some fun stuff.

Tamar halpErin Satie knocks it out with just his piano. Which they found stacked on top of another on a wellness check as well as hundreds of red umbrellas I digress tho

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:21 PM Post #10,536 of 91,357

Looking forward to ultimate 4-way comparison (Phonix, EXT, Traillii and Jewel) next month.

I love my classical music and Jewel is definitely pulling ahead of the Traillii and Odin for me right now.
Which one of these is not like the other? Seems like EXT does not fit into that grouping as stand out IEMs for classical music. I would think the Elysian X might be a better substitute there. I realize that you can only demo what you have access to, so I don't want to minimize that.

Your impressions of Jewel is the first that makes me even remotely interested in it. The price is a big barrier for me this time, though.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:25 PM Post #10,537 of 91,357
Which one of these is not like the other? Seems like EXT does not fit into that grouping as stand out IEMs for classical music. I would think the Elysian X might be a better substitute there. I realize that you can only demo what you have access to, so I don't want to minimize that.

Your impressions of Jewel is the first that makes me even remotely interested in it. The price is a big barrier for me this time, though.
Elysian X are discontinued and almost impossible to get them here. I also exchanged a few PMs with the X owners and most told me its timbre is not ideal for classical music.

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:46 PM Post #10,538 of 91,357
Finally got home from Las Vegas last night. As I reported earlier, I went there for the Consumer Electronics Show. Was getting ready to go home and tested positive for Covid-19 on 1/10. Extended my trip for a week and then tested positive again on 1/17, so I extended for another week. Tested negative on 1/24, so flew home last night. I am triple vaxxed and the symptons were pretty mild, but I didn't want to be a vector for further spread so I self quarantined in a Condo for 2 weeks.
Ugggh that's a real bummer, glad you've got through it! I'm in Florida this week, so far with 3 negative tests:sunglasses:

I've got my fingers crossed I can get to Portland later this week and back to Aus next..

Jan 26, 2022 at 7:51 PM Post #10,539 of 91,357
Ugggh that's a real bummer, glad you've got through it! I'm in Florida this week, so far with 3 negative tests:sunglasses:

I've got my fingers crossed I can get to Portland later this week and back to Aus next..
I wasn't happy getting it, but now that I have had it, I am no longer afraid of it. I think my reaction to the booster was worse than actually getting Covid. I know this isn't the case for everyone and long covid is a real thing. Hopefully this pandemic ends soon.

Jan 26, 2022 at 8:22 PM Post #10,540 of 91,357
I'm using it with the FiiO Bluetooth lanyard and my phone when out and around in noisy environments, and it's overt V shaped tuning works great balanced against background street noise. It has quickly become something I look forward to using any chance I get going out for a walk.

Yup that's pretty much my main use case for the Dorado 2020-- the extra bass does wonders at drowning out ambient noise. Onyx is not the most refined perhaps but it's got a lot of charm and if you go in knowing what to expect it's a real treat.

The RS6 is just like the R6 2020 in form factor and feature set. It just sounds a helluva lot better. I was worried about the reports of the RS6 needing dozens if not hundreds of hours of burn in time. Fortunately, for me, I didn't need that. It might get better, but it sounds great out of the box to me. I've found that I really love the natural sound for the R2R Dacs. I do prefer it slightly over my DX300 because it has better treble. Reminds me of when I was A/B testing the dongles

You've just officially piqued my interest in the RS6. I'll be eager to hear if it as synergy with the EXT. If it sounds remotely as good with EXT as RU6 does it's a guaranteed purchase for me.

Really nice. It looks like it has been tagged. Is that a common practice to track the birds behavior?

I'm not really sure actually. All the whiskey jacks we saw were tagged...I didn't see any other birds up close as none of them were as social.

T shirt? its Freezing here. To cold for even for birds. The ducks are huddled near shore

Weather was pretty mild today-- you work up quite a sweat snowshoeing and I was overheating with my jacket on. I see you're in Toronto-- are you interested in participating in the Vision Ears EXT & Phonix tour I'm hosting? Hit up the tour thread if so.

I wasn't happy getting it, but now that I have had it, I am no longer afraid of it. I think my reaction to the booster was worse than actually getting Covid.

That's how it's been for everyone I know lately. A number of my close friends-- including many who are immunocompromised-- got Covid over Christmas break and they all reported that it was at worst like a bad cold and was gone in a few days. Then they all started getting their boosters and wound up being off work for a week due to reactions. My second jab messed me up bad last April and given that they've pretty much said everyone is getting omicron whether they're vaxed or not (suggesting the vaccines don't even work at the one thing they're supposed to do) leaving me thinking I won't bother with the booster. Canada is insane and seems intent on ramping things up when the rest of the world is coming to its senses.

Jan 26, 2022 at 9:42 PM Post #10,543 of 91,357
Probably the best tuned IEM I have heard right there... will miss those for sure but I'm happy to stick to CIEMs for now :)

Yeah man it's spellbinding. IMHO and to my ears EXT is just as well tuned relative to what is is and what it's trying to do but Phonix has that beautiful single driver-type coherence which casts a spell that is hard to match by any other means.

Last edited:
Jan 26, 2022 at 9:43 PM Post #10,544 of 91,357
Probably the best tuned IEM I have heard right there... will miss those for sure but I'm happy to stick to CIEMs for now :)
I was gonna say, that looks 🤩

Users who are viewing this thread

Back