The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Jan 27, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #10,561 of 90,612
Jan 27, 2022 at 2:29 AM Post #10,562 of 90,612
Isnt VE iem come with cp145 and cp155 ?
Dunno. They work great with my Timeless and I have a feeling that they will work well with my Andromeda.

Jan 27, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #10,564 of 90,612
Jan 27, 2022 at 3:06 AM Post #10,565 of 90,612
990C9638-6205-45A5-B594-C26FBC3E68FF.jpeg0326490F-1392-4567-B52F-EB473421E64E.jpeg

Looking forward to ultimate 4-way comparison (Phonix, EXT, Traillii and Jewel) next month.

I love my classical music and Jewel is definitely pulling ahead of the Traillii and Odin for me right now.
Wow Jewels Graph is so sexy, i wonder how it stacks against Ely X. X is still bothering me annoyingly. Whispering to sell off everything i have, buy one and delete head fi account..

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:01 AM Post #10,566 of 90,612
Today, I am listening to my first 64 Audio IEM. Nio. I am shocked because I really like it a lot. It has a really punchy and clear sound. It sounded good with all 3 modules. But, my favorite is the M20 which makes it a basshead IEM. I need to A/B test it, but I think I like it more than the IE900. I prefer the mids of the Nio to the IE900. Given my experience with it, I need to listen to the Trio.

Nio 2.jpg
Glad you like it, I love the Nio. The Trio is very different though, much sharper in tonality. My recommendation for the next 64 audio IEM to check out would be the Fourte.

Jan 27, 2022 at 4:39 AM Post #10,567 of 90,612
Wow Jewels Graph is so sexy, i wonder how it stacks against Ely X. X is still bothering me annoyingly. Whispering to sell off everything i have, buy one and delete head fi account..

That crosses my mind but not quite yet - I think when I better understand the various types of tuning and narrow down maybe to 3 that suit all my music preferences and listening scenarios, then I'll sell everything else and sail off into the sunset 🌇

With each new IEM, brings a new, interesting, and even fascinating discovery for me at the moment. None are without weakness but at times, the weakness actually becomes a strength for a different genre so I'm really finding it crucial to spend a lot of time with a new IEM and dive deep in my library.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:08 AM Post #10,568 of 90,612
Finally got home from Las Vegas last night. As I reported earlier, I went there for the Consumer Electronics Show. Was getting ready to go home and tested positive for Covid-19 on 1/10. Extended my trip for a week and then tested positive again on 1/17, so I extended for another week. Tested negative on 1/24, so flew home last night. I am triple vaxxed and the symptons were pretty mild, but I didn't want to be a vector for further spread so I self quarantined in a Condo for 2 weeks. What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas!

I had all of these toys waiting for me at home and I stayed up until 5 am listening and watching that EPIC quarterfinal tennis match between Medvedev and Auger-Aliassime.

So far, here is the best thing I listened to. Hiby RS6 + UM Indigo. The RS6 is just like the R6 2020 in form factor and feature set. It just sounds a helluva lot better. I was worried about the reports of the RS6 needing dozens if not hundreds of hours of burn in time. Fortunately, for me, I didn't need that. It might get better, but it sounds great out of the box to me. I've found that I really love the natural sound for the R2R Dacs. I do prefer it slightly over my DX300 because it has better treble. Reminds me of when I was A/B testing the dongles

I am listening to Boston on it right now and this DAP really brings this music to life. More later as I get more listening time in.

RS6 and Indigo.jpg
Sorry to hear you got Covid but glad it was mild. Same here. Let's hope Omicron is the beginning of the end of the pandemic.

Also glad you're gelling with the RS6. For the longest time I thought I found my perfect DAP in the R8, but once you hear the RS6 and its natural tonality (especially vocals), it's hard to go back to a more digital/technical sounding DAP (I still consider the R8 fairly 'musical' but RS6 is another level, even if it doesn't have the uber technicalities of the R8). If HiBy releases an RS8 with the natural tonality of the RS6 and the pristine technicalities, resolution and battery life of the R8, that's endgame for me.
Today, I am listening to my first 64 Audio IEM. Nio. I am shocked because I really like it a lot. It has a really punchy and clear sound. It sounded good with all 3 modules. But, my favorite is the M20 which makes it a basshead IEM. I need to A/B test it, but I think I like it more than the IE900. I prefer the mids of the Nio to the IE900. Given my experience with it, I need to listen to the Trio.

Nio 2.jpg
I really liked Nio, and actually the mids were the best part of that IEM for me. Not very technical, mind you, and lacked some resolution (IE900 is better on both fronts) but I found vocals to be clear, full and quite organic. Clearly a YMMV IEM if @Rockwell75's impressions are anything to go by. I found Trio more resolving but sizzly up top and with thinner vocals. Better, tighter bass than Nio. Fourte would be the logical next step up from Nio, though I prefer Nio's vocals.
That crosses my mind but not quite yet - I think when I better understand the various types of tuning and narrow down maybe to 3 that suit all my music preferences and listening scenarios, then I'll sell everything else and sail off into the sunset 🌇

With each new IEM, brings a new, interesting, and even fascinating discovery for me at the moment. None are without weakness but at times, the weakness actually becomes a strength for a different genre so I'm really finding it crucial to spend a lot of time with a new IEM and dive deep in my library.
Even if I settle on my ideal system, pretty much where I am now, I won't delete my account here. Hanging out on the forums and sharing experiences is the best part of the hobby for me. There's literally one other person in my life who shares my passion for audio, and I don't even bother talking about with with anyone else IRL. So this is really my only outlet.

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:29 AM Post #10,569 of 90,612
Sorry to hear you got Covid but glad it was mild. Same here. Let's hope Omicron is the beginning of the end of the pandemic.

Also glad you're gelling with the RS6. For the longest time I thought I found my perfect DAP in the R8, but once you hear the RS6 and its natural tonality (especially vocals), it's hard to go back to a more digital/technical sounding DAP (I still consider the R8 fairly 'musical' but RS6 is another level, even if it doesn't have the uber technicalities of the R8). If HiBy releases an RS8 with the natural tonality of the RS6 and the pristine technicalities, resolution and battery life of the R8, that's endgame for me.

I really liked Nio, and actually the mids were the best part of that IEM for me. Not very technical, mind you, and lacked some resolution (IE900 is better on both fronts) but I found vocals to be clear, full and quite organic. Clearly a YMMV IEM if @Rockwell75's impressions are anything to go by. I found Trio more resolving but sizzly up top and with thinner vocals. Better, tighter bass than Nio. Fourte would be the logical next step up from Nio, though I prefer Nio's vocals.

Even if I settle on my ideal system, pretty much where I am now, I won't delete my account here. Hanging out on the forums and sharing experiences is the best part of the hobby for me. There's literally one other person in my life who shares my passion for audio, and I don't even bother talking about with with anyone else IRL. So this is really my only outlet.

Yes actually I meant to say, the closing my account bit I won't do - settling on 3 IEMs is my goal. I'm the exact same and actually worse, I've nobody in 'real life' to share this hobby with! - although I've a work colleague who loves music and is curious to see/hear some of my collection as we are likely to start getting back to the office - he has an existing expensive photography hobby so I almost feel guilty exposing (pardon the pun) to this world! He currently owns and loves XM4 and just recently said he'd like to consider an IEM...

Jan 27, 2022 at 6:31 AM Post #10,570 of 90,612
One doesn’t need to delete their account, inquiring minds, sharing past experiences, and naturally one decade there could be a breakthrough, can keep one in the head fi game. I have upgraded some gear, tried some new stuff, and in eight years churned 1 iem, that’s it. It was 846 shure, which is a fine comfortable iem, but the endless filter change , no filter , had to mean something ain’t right. Encores pretty much solved all my issues without a blithering options for sound, just slap them in and it’s done. Granted not sure how they fit me but they do. Now I’m not saying knoble is be all end all, but giving circumstances of each component I found all my gear the first time out. Granted the server evolved but so is the tech around it. Right now I couldn’t justify any purchase for outward need, I’d rather buy scotch than gear, but I’m still fascinated by the experiment that others are going through.

Jan 27, 2022 at 8:23 AM Post #10,571 of 90,612
There are some artists and labels that the collector in me still has to have a physical copy, even if they often remain on the shelf as I choose to listen to the FLAC download from Bandcamp, the bulk of where I buy my music from. Biosphere is one - Geir Jenssen is synonymous with ambient music, I rarely if ever see a 'best' ambient list that doesn't include his 'Substrata' masterpiece from 1997, arguably one of the greatest ambient albums ever made. His latest harks back to his more ambient techno roots of the 90's, not strictly ambient in that there are beats, but certainly not fast in terms of dancefloor techno - 'armchair techno' as it was one referred to, I think by Warp Records in the early 90's. Anyway, I love his completely ambient work but this is a welcome return and a fantastic album. I'm sort of regretting not buying on vinyl...

Bandcamp Album Link

20220127_125712.jpg

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #10,572 of 90,612
biosphere 20 plus year existence. One can easily like a dozen albums. sometimes a few beats breaks up the listening enjoy

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:49 AM Post #10,573 of 90,612
Still a bit too early to tell but these tips seem to be a game changer for me. Very comfy and work with my strange ears.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B078RF1S37/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

LOL “Wide and long” - that’s what she said!

Trying to ensure that I have enough variety of tips when the Vision Ears Phönix and EXT arrive.

Isnt VE iem come with cp145 and cp155 ?

Yes the VE tour kit has both of those. The included tips are all pictured in the tour thread.

In other news, as we near the end of the first month of 2022, what's on everyone's radar?

Jan 27, 2022 at 9:53 AM Post #10,574 of 90,612
In other news, as we near the end of the first month of 2022, what's on everyone's radar?
Other than waiting to hear the VE twins for myself one day, nada. Haven't had an itch to scratch since the Sonys arrived. I must say it's nice to have a full size pair of headphones in the house again. Even better that they don't need a full size amp to drive them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back