The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Oct 5, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #65,851 of 89,369
Hey Rockwell, my intention wasn’t to be argumentative or abrasive. I’m happy to drop this here.

I was responding to what I perceived as your confident take that Storm isn’t the best IEM in the world:

That’s all. Because of your claim, I thought you had a few IEMs in mind that you thought were better.

I guess it’s difficult to tell through writing, but my response was made in good spirits and without animus.

All good man perhaps I should have been more clear in my writing. To me being the “best IEM in the world” is equivalent to being all things to all people so when I said at the end of that statement that no IEM will be loved by everyone I was effectively stating my conviction that there will never be a single best IEM in the world. Sorry for the confusion and simultaneously happy we can have these discussions in a mature tone :D

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:28 PM Post #65,853 of 89,369
All good man perhaps I should have been more clear in my writing. To me being the “best IEM in the world” is equivalent to being all things to all people so when I said at the end of that statement that no IEM will be loved by everyone I was effectively stating my conviction that there will never be a single best IEM in the world. Sorry for the confusion and simultaneously happy we can have these discussions in a mature tone :D
All good, I’m glad we were able to clear up that misunderstanding in a mature tone as well.

Agreed with your take. There are a myriad of preferences and everyone partakes in and enjoys the hobby differently. No one IEM will be universally loved.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 10:17 PM Post #65,855 of 89,369
Thanks! It's definitely a nice cable. What differences did you notice on Blue Hour? Did it change the sound a lot from Vanguard 4W?
It's really hard to pinpoint the difference here, as it just sounded like it amplified Singularity a bit more. But the difference, to me, was negligible.
I think so. This poll reflects at least partially what folks bought most recently. I bought an Annihilator too but haven't received it yet. So my top 3, which reflects what I (re)bought recently is:

Trifecta
Z1R
Legend X

Yes, my ears have had to ensure a lot in recent times.. :)

Rn6 and Xe6 sound VERY different to me.. 😊
Yes, of course they are, but when i a/b'd the two at CanJam, both had red module inserted. And when going back and forth, the Xe6 sounded like an Rn6 with a greater bass emphasis. Otherwise, I was astounded at how similar I thought they sounded.
Thanks! I’ve limited experience with single DD IEMs, especially at the higher end. With your description and my current crop of gear I think I’d lean E12… hopefully FiR formally announces E12 soon. Really curious to see the final design.

DIO is rumored (or confirmed by Lee?) to be the upcoming flagship, above Anni and X, right? $4-5k range? May be misremember what I read on this one though.

Thanks. Seems to be the general consensus. (Im)patiently waiting for details from FiR on Electron 12.
E12 is going to be a hit, especially if the pricing is what we expect...not above $2k and hopefully more like $1500. I would say e12 is the better all around of the 2 compared to Singularity, which is bass emphasis.
All good, I’m glad we were able to clear up that misunderstanding in a mature tone as well.

Agreed with your take. There are a myriad of preferences and everyone partakes in and enjoys the hobby differently. No one IEM will be universally loved.
The "Best IEM In The World" needs to be conditioned with, "To Me".

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2023 at 10:50 PM Post #65,857 of 89,369
My top three (that I own) right now:
EE Raven - the more I listen, the more I like—def in the honeymoon, but it’s as good as anything I’ve heard in terms of fun all-rounder.

FIR Rn6 - Very excellent by any measure. A different take on fun all-rounder with a slightly “safer”, less bombastic, more conventional presentation than Raven

Audeze LCD-i4 - Still one of the GOATs technically. Still routinely leaves me slack-jawed.

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:52 PM Post #65,858 of 89,369
In other news we're two weeks into fall and two days past CanJam SoCal-- it's time for our seasonal 3 IEMs that own your heart at this moment poll. I'm not looking for your all time favorite 3 or anything (though of course you can submit those if you want). This poll is more meant to take the temp of the Watercooler at this moment in time.

Go!

XE6, Subtonic Storm, Amber Pearl

Screenshot_20231005-195117_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231005-194417_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231005-195103_Gallery.jpg

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:58 PM Post #65,860 of 89,369
Oct 5, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #65,861 of 89,369
My top three (that I own) right now:
EE Raven - the more I listen, the more I like—def in the honeymoon, but it’s as good as anything I’ve heard in terms of fun all-rounder.

FIR Rn6 - Very excellent by any measure. A different take on fun all-rounder with a slightly “safer”, less bombastic, more conventional presentation than Raven

Audeze LCD-i4 - Still one of the GOATs technically. Still routinely leaves me slack-jawed.
That is an amazing set of IEMs to own. Are you done?

Oct 5, 2023 at 10:59 PM Post #65,862 of 89,369
Any more info on the new Fir R 12? Price
release date etc??????????
Hey Claud, how do you like your Singularity? I had been away for a while and didn't get your impressions.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #65,863 of 89,369
Starting my day with some Alice in Chains on my current favorite chain. No better way, IMHO.

IMG_4390.jpeg
I have that same pairing of Centurion and Trifecta. Really great match. I would love to hear it with DMP.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:02 PM Post #65,864 of 89,369
Oct 5, 2023 at 11:04 PM Post #65,865 of 89,369

Users who are viewing this thread

Back